• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Bypass in 2 weeks - eek!

Hello to everyone on here. I’m new and found out yesterday my bypass will happen in 2 weeks.
I’m excited and - of course - terrified too.
So many questions.
My usually lovely husband is opposed to it even though he knows how utterly miserable I’ve been for the last ten years - it’s ruined every holiday and big occasion we’ve had as I sit crying about being fat and feeling enormous.
He thinks I should just eat less. Wow - what a brilliant idea. Wish I’d thought of that. He’s fortunate in that he can eat anything (8 choc ices in one sitting his record) and is like a stick.
Whatever happens I’m determined - I’m paying for it with my own money and I’ve got complete confidence in Prof Ameet Patel and the hospital.
My two closest friends are brilliant- they recognise what this means to me. I’m not entering into it lightly and I know it’s not the easy way out. After all there are other things I could be spending my ten grand on.
I haven’t told anyone else. I hate deception but I think people will judge me. i plan to tell people I’ve had my gall bladder removed.
Anyone else struggled with what to tell people?
I know it’s an extreme measure. I also know there’s something wrong when a good proportion of people in this world are starving to death and I’m forking out for an operation to stop me eating so much. But we live in a crazy world.
What a journey. . .

Cheshire Cat

Hi ..... exciting times ahead for you! And nerve racking as well.... but I’m sure you have thought long and hard about this x. There is lots of info on here and the members are a great bunch who will dish out loads of help and information! I’m a bit useless on the info unfortunately..... hopefully I will get my surgery later in the year ..... watch this space!
Try not to worry and look forward to becoming a new you xx. Keep us updated x

Hi Cheshire and thanks for your reply - I am excited but also really scared. I’ve never had an operation before and keep thinking I’ll wake up mid-procedure while they’re re-plumbing my insides! 😱

Carby2barbie

Wow congratulations!! That’s amazing!
be careful with the gallbladder story! Have you got a gallbladder still?? Because my surgeon told me not to tell people this as you may need it taken out in the future..... and I’m glad I didn’t tell people as I was taken into hospital 10months post op with horrendous stomaxh pains, which turnt out to be gallstones.
Just something to think about. But I also didn’t tell anyone and people still don’t know, I do get the odd comment but I brush it off. But you may feel differently when your on the losers bench. Xxxxx

Wow congratulations!! That’s amazing!
be careful with the gallbladder story! Have you got a gallbladder still?? Because my surgeon told me not to tell people this as you may need it taken out in the future..... and I’m glad I didn’t tell people as I was taken into hospital 10months post op with horrendous stomaxh pains, which turnt out to be gallstones.
Just something to think about. But I also didn’t tell anyone and people still don’t know, I do get the odd comment but I brush it off. But you may feel differently when your on the losers bench. Xxxxx

Hello C2B - thanks for your response and that is something I’d vaguely thought about. Don’t suppose I could claim to be the only person in the world with two gall bladders! 😂
I am torn about whether to tell everyone or - as you did - brush it off. I’m moving towards just keeping my trap shut. It’s not really anyone’s business but mine, is it?

Cheshire Cat

I told the big porkie pie that I had an appointment because of a large fibroid.... I have got one but I don’t need surgery on it .... but I’m hoping I wont get bit on my bum later down the line! Work have always known that I struggle with my weight but I don’t want to be judged .... if they don’t know they can’t judge!

Parsnip

Exciting times ahead. Assuming you're starting your LRD? Which plan are you following?
I'm 6 months post bypass and am lucky enough to have an easy going pouch and haven't had any complications (well not linked to the operation).
I'd highly recommend a book called Living with Bariatric Surgery by Denise Ratcliffe. Also spend some time reading the diaries on here (although most of the ones that get updated more regularly are in the bronze section which requires you to have at least 100 posts so get posting). The site isn't as busy these days but there are still a few people about and usually someone will be able to answer most questions you have. No question is stupid and we're not shy about the things we discuss lol
Good luck with your op, remember to take photos and take measurements xx

lilyc

Hey, Ive got my op in a little over 2 weeks too. Exceited and terrified all at the same time. My partner (and Dad and Brother) is also not keen on me having the op although I have been waiting a long time (27 months) so he has at least had time to get used to it. Again he thinks I just havent tried hard enough to diet and exercise in the last 25 years (he has only know me 3 years and I gave up dieting a while before that).
I have actually told my manager that I am having the op and a few friends at work know too. Im sure the gossip mill will get going while Im off but it doesnt really bother me. I am in pain so often and often hobble around work, and Im the biggest person at work, so I am just so happy to be getting it done. I also feel that if someone who is struggling with their weight knows about it they might feel they can approach me and find out more if they want. Good luck with your op.

Carby2barbie

Hello C2B - thanks for your response and that is something I’d vaguely thought about. Don’t suppose I could claim to be the only person in the world with two gall bladders! 😂
I am torn about whether to tell everyone or - as you did - brush it off. I’m moving towards just keeping my trap shut. It’s not really anyone’s business but mine, is it?
Well it’s no ones business at all. Just whatever you feel comfortable with! Xx

Bling Babe

Hiya and good luck, you must have started your LRD by now how’s it Going, I’m 1yr 8.5months post op and have no regrets whatsoever, the best advice is research research research and remember it’s only an aid, a tool to work with, it’s far far from the easy option, as @Parsnip said keep posting so you can access our diaries in the bronze section, any questions ask away there is usually someone who can help.
Good luck x

Hello again and thanks for your replies - much appreciated.
Sadly I may have to postpone my surgery - my father is dangerously ill. Will let you know. Thanks again for your support on here.

Parsnip

Sadly I may have to postpone my surgery - my father is dangerously ill. Will let you know. Thanks again for your support on here.
Sorry to hear about your dad. My dad was poorly when I had my operation and sadly passed when I was a month post op. It totally sucked but as a comfort eater, having the bypass in place prevented me being able to gain the tonne I would have likely gained without.
I hope your dad is ok xx

Bling Babe

Thinking of you x

Parsnip

Hello to Cheshire Cat & Parsnip. Thanks for your kind messages. Unbelievably my dad is slightly better - he’s made of granite! Sadly he can’t go home as he can’t look after himself anymore. A residential care home for him now.
Which means my bypass surgery is in two weeks. Eek all over again!
Apart from numerous questions about the surgery itself my big question today is do you still get food cravings? Today I’ve been eating non stop and I’m sick of it! x

Bling Babe

Hello to Cheshire Cat & Parsnip. Thanks for your kind messages. Unbelievably my dad is slightly better - he’s made of granite! Sadly he can’t go home as he can’t look after himself anymore. A residential care home for him now.
Which means my bypass surgery is in two weeks. Eek all over again!
Apart from numerous questions about the surgery itself my big question today is do you still get food cravings? Today I’ve been eating non stop and I’m sick of it! x
Glad dad is a little better and your surgery can go ahead, I’d love to say you don’t get cravings any more but my god I’m afraid you do, well I do, the first 6 months we’re fine I didn’t really crave anything but after that oh yes I do and I still want all the wrong food too, if I don’t see it I’m fine but in my place of work our patients are always bringing us in super yummy goodies so they are constantly available right in my face, it honestly is a daily....no hourly challenge, I’m sorry if that’s not what you wanted to hear, others may disagree though, but despite that you WILL be fine xx

Hello Bling Babe and thanks for your reply. I must admit I half suspected it would still be the case about food cravings - after all it’s all in one’s head anyway isn’t it? I’m hoping to find new ways to manage head hunger helped by the surgery. I also wonder if I’m eating like there’s no tomorrow because I know the op’s coming up. I had pizza last night - if I’m honest pretty awful, no flavour and tough as old boots! But of course I scoffed the lot 😂 x