• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Procedure for Wales

bubblybabe

Hi All,

I live in Rhyl, North Wales and can't seem to find any information about the guidlines from my local Primary care trust. I have tried every diet under the sun, also orilstat from my GP. I have mentioned surgery to my GP but hit a brick wall who said that I could not get funding in Wales. I cannot afford to have this op privately, can anyone give me any help or advice about the procedure in Wales, i'm becoming desperate. Thanks.

Sue xx

Hi Sue,

From what I have read and heard, it is extremely difficult to get funding in Wales. Does your PCT have a PALS (Patient Advice and Liaison Service) attached to it? If so they should be able to find out more about funding in your area.

Sorry to not have good news :(

Shel

Hay Sue,

I'm not from Wales so I can't really help you from direct experience. But I remember reading about how Wales only has funding for a very small amount of WLS (about 20 if memory serves) and there are hundreds of applicants for the funding; but I honestly don't believe this should stop you from trying!

If anyone else knows better please feel free to correct me as I am not certain about this.

If the Doctor you saw before is still stone-walling you then try a different doctor. They may have a different attitude to the surgery and may even have experience of the process. Even if funding is limited you should still try and get your doctor to apply as you never know if you might have been accepted!

Also, the new financial year starts in April/March so the little pot of funding Wales has will be filled back up again. This could be the best time to apply/appeal a decision!

Good Luck with looking for funding, and be patient as it you may have a long wait ahead of you!

Hi Sue, I'm from South Wales and I've been researching a lot about NHS funding. I'm sorry to say that it is really hard to get funding in Wales it is considered by a comittee at the Welsh Assembly on a case by case basis. It is considered as "Cosmetic Surgery" in Wales, which is totally wrong.

However, the good news is that at your BMI you are eligible to be considered. My BMI is 48 and I am "too healthy". If you have any problems with your health that are to do with weight this helps your chances.

I have saved up, borrowed and begged to get a private package for £5,500 in Bromsgrove. It all seems to be a post-code lottery.

Love from Jenni

Hi jenni
can you give me any information on the weight management clinic you attend? I would like to tell my GP about it.
thanks

Hi Holly, the weight management clinic I attend is in Nantyglo which is in S. Wales valleys. When I first started going there, I had to be referred by Doctor. I do not know if there is one near Rhyl - the one I go to used to be the only one but it could well have changed. Very few GPs knew of this service - I happened to be told about it at a hospital appt. The consultant who runs it is called Mr. Haboubi (pronounced Ha Booby!) and he can be contacted through Neville Hall Hopsital in Abergavenny. I would imagine that he would know if there were any clinics in your area.
Funding is terrible in Wales. I am the only WLS patient attending the clinic (self-funded) so am quite a novelty to all but the consultant.
Last year there were 12 ops for all of Wales according to the dietician there.
I really hope there is something for you Holly, the post-code lottery is so unfair - and for Wales that's every postcode which is crap.
I scrimped, saved, borrowed, begged the £5,500 I needed as I knew there would be no chance for me as I fell under (just) the minimum BMI (50). Would you be able to do that as a long-term saving up/ borrowing project?
Wish I had better news for you. x

PS - sorry you're not from Rhyl, that was someone else. Apologies!

Back