• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

NHS Surgery in Wales?

vanda

Hi all
Was just wondering if anyone had got funding for gastric banding in Wales. Have been to my GP today and he has prescribed Xenical, I did ask about WLS but he didnt seem too keen. I am hoping the Xenical helps as I am losing hope that I can do this on my own.
I have checked out the fees for private surgery and £7500 seems to be average. At the mo this is not possible but I am considering it if the Xenical doesnt help.
Any info welcome. I would consider going abroad for the op if I could get a recommendation from someone.
I am just feeling so desperate at the mo I will consider anything - sorry for the doom and gloom - will be better tomorrow!

Vanda

Hi Vakwi, sorry to be the bringer of bad news but it is nigh on impossible to get NHS funding in Wales. Literally 12 people had WLS surgery last year. I go to an NHS weight management clinic at Nanty-glo and the consultant hasn't managed to get one op done on his recommendation. One person has a BMI of 86 and she was refused.

I has my op done for £5,500 through the Why Go Abroad deal by the Hopsital Group in Bromsgrove - it would have been £500.00 cheaper if my BMI had been under 45. It is a basic package and you have to pay for your own fills (op and xray included in price). These can be done in Cardiff after the one under xray.
Please don't hesitate to ask any questions re WLS in Wales.

I do know that there is talk of opening a weight man. clinic, like the one I go to, in Bridgend. I agree that xenical is, ahem, "Sh*t !

Very best wishes to you

Jen x

I cant comment on funding in Wales but I can confirm that Xenical is yes Sh**...

Well it was for me. I hope you have more luck with it.

Welcome to Mini's

There are lots of people here who will be able to give you the answers to all your questions...There are a few from Wales, like Jenni who can advise you well.

(I still think you folk from Wales should petition the government)

Good luck

(((hugs)))

Hi Vakwi, I have heard that funding is a no go area for weight loss surgery in Wales. I had my band on the NHS so can't really help you with the private surgery but there are loads of minis who can. Good luck with your journey and I hope get answers from here.

ive also heard that they only fund 12 ppl a year and they keep that funding for extreme high bmi's and they are the priority, 12 a year is sh*t and wales need to move forward with the times x

Thanks all for your replies.
You would have thought that wls would be worth the nhs paying for it. The long term costs of treating complications caused by weight must work out more costly. If they refuse someone with a bmi of 86 I've got no chance and had better start saving up, my
bmi is not high enough but as I am diabetic I might get away with it. It seems a bit daft to put on weight just to meet the bmi requirements! Although the way I have been eating of late should do this with no problem.
No bad effects with the Xenical today but I am being very careful about the fat content of what I have eaten.
Will check out the Bromsgove hospital group thanks Jen.
vanda

Back