• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Procedure for the NHS WLS ..

charlie26

Hiya

thought id ask does anyone know what the procedure is for wls on the nhs? i have had the assessment done,dietician is in september,gp has sent my medical history to the pct for funding.If i get funding(i do meet the criteria for my pct) then what will happen?i know it will either be imperial nhs or chelsea and westminster if im lucky!
Basically what im not sure of is what happens when u have your appointment at the hospital.Obviously they will go through my history but do they then give you a diet or slimming pills etc to try before agreeing surgery?I have tried various diets and can lose weight i just cant keep it off!,I have also tried slimming tablets prescribed by my gp and have seen a dietician in the past.
The dietician that i have been referred to is at my local hospital,in my referral letter it said i have to see a dietician for 6 months

Any help very much appreciated

charlie
xxx

I think it varies from hospital to hospital unfortunately. I saw an initial doctor and a dietician in one visit and then have to go back in 3 months. They wouldn't even discuss surgery with me at my initial appointment and I had to beg the dietician to tell me how much she wanted me to lose. Only after my next appointment and proving to them I could lose weight would they refer me to the surgeons in the same hospital. This is when my hospital applies for funding.

There doesn't seem to be a standardised process across the NHS.

every where is differant I saw my own GP he sent referal the walsall then i saw the doctor at the hospital I had automatic funding then saw diet woman few weeks later saw the anethsatist then had op all in 16 weeks

its really annoying that each pct have different pathways. I am in manchester but come under salford which means you have a min of 6 months weight management but if I cam e under manchester It goes off your BMI !!
I will try and find teh website that lists all teh pct rules
good luck
helen
x

Hi charlie and welcome to MM.
I would def say ring your pct and speak to who ever deals with wls and see what the procedure is, and also like suggested look at the Bospa site to see if your pct have their criteria on their.
Every pct has different criteria and pathways and like in ur case quite a few have to do 6 months of weight loss management first b4 moving along.
Take care luv Roch xx

BOSPA - The British Obesity Surgery Patient Association

Back