• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Procedure panic

julesburns

Hi. I'm due to go next week to dr hruby in Prague to have a wrap done. I fly Sunday. I am starting to get really really scared after reading that some people have to be catheterised etc. I'm so frightened that I can't sleep. I'm worried about the pain, about being put to sleep. I'm scared something will happen. I wish I knew exactly what will happen so I know that to expect but it's hard asking people as I feel like I'm being stupid. I've never been in hospital and never had kids or anything so I'm just really scared. Help anyone?' Xx

It's natural to worry, i am! I'm having a bypass on Wednesday. But I'm also excited too. You could be carherterised, but they are most likely to put it in when you are asleep and it means you don't have to worry about using a bed pan or getting to the loo.

Jules it's natural to be scared, especially as you have no hospital experience. just remember how many of us have now been to hruby and how good our experiences all were. Personally, I have been catheterised 3 times, and it's a doddle. You can barely feel it. They would put it in whilst you're under anyway. And I suspect you won't have one anyway! Would you like my mob no so you can text me if you need calming down, lol? Xx

Thanks girls. It's just scary. I've started watching u tube videos of the procedures as I am a total control freak and this is honestly the first time in my life where I am going into something blind, so to speak. I usually research everything and have done with this procedure too, but while I'm asleep someone else is in control and its scaring me! My mum will be with me so she can support me when I'm there but at the moment I feel like running for the hills instead of turnov!! It doesn't feel real. I know I'm going to be a wreck when I'm there. I hate needles. Will the drip will hurt terribly?? How long is it in for? Shhhiitt!!!

Listen sweetie. Calm down and take some deepp breaths. U r gonna be fine. It will be a piece of cake compared to what ure going through in the lead upp. I'm 4 days out today had no catheter cos I got them to stop on the way t o the table. Stay in control. U will be absolutely calm at the time I'm sure. I was xxx

Oh hune u will be Fine . Everyone gets last min nerves. I am goiing in Jan and an nervous but ive got this Picture of me as a size 16 iny head not a 20 /22 as i now and I Just keep thinking of how I will be able to go swimming and cycle to work going to a dance class and the clothes mmmmm!you can do it hune. And the op is only a few hours. And your asleep and when u wake up its all done. Good luck hune keep us posted. Keep busy in the meantime to stop yourself thinking about it. And make lots of plams for when u r well 1st outing 1st shopping trip etc etc.

What you are feeling is completely normal. Those last few days/hours before you do it are scary, the fact you are going abroad, even though from all the posts on here we know your surgeon is excellent, and the fact you have no hospital experience makes it worse but you can do this! It will be fine I promise. The drip doesn't hurt at all and it is very rare to be catheterised, and like it's been said you would be asleep whilst they did it, if they did one. I had it done awake for a different issue non related to wls and it didn't hurt anyway. So don't worry about that. Being a control freak is hard to let control, I understand but remember they know what they are doing, trust that and take comfort in the fact you can see the results of your surgeon on this very forum. Just keep thinking about your future. It's going to be bright. All the best :) x

As everyone has said it's completely normal to worry. Just take it one step at a time and you'll be fine x

All of the above good advice. Me , I was lije u, never had an operation beore, never had kids, never been in hospital, never had a drip & run miles to get away from a needle. I was worried but my boyfriend & family were terrified of how I would react. Such the baby I am.... I even wrote a will LOL it was not a problem. I sailed through it. No pain up & about the next day & showering. Let home in 2 days. Scars healed well & quickly. Was size 30 end of February now 16/18 feeling very loose. Lost over 8 1/2 stones & never look back. I have a few problems eting but no comparison to how I was with high blood pressure, bad back & morbidly obese. Good luck & take it calmly.

Wow! At least I'm not the only one worried. I'm going in on Thursday for a band. Desperate to get my life back so I've paid to go private. So worried as never been in hospital before :-(
Do I need to removed false eyelashes?
Shall I have soup in for after the Op? Help anyone?!! Eve xx

Hi. I'm due to go next week to dr hruby in Prague to have a wrap done. I fly Sunday. I am starting to get really really scared after reading that some people have to be catheterised etc. I'm so frightened that I can't sleep. I'm worried about the pain, about being put to sleep. I'm scared something will happen. I wish I knew exactly what will happen so I know that to expect but it's hard asking people as I feel like I'm being stupid. I've never been in hospital and never had kids or anything so I'm just really scared. Help anyone?' Xx

It's not easy, i know but one has to get through something harsh to get something really good. That's you may call as central dogma of the universe. You may add a bit of motivation on your day by just thinking about the post op looks and compliments you are gonna get after this. The benefits that would accrue after this procedure would give you the required motivation. SO give it a smile and let it come. As well said "Come What It May... Tougher situations last, But tough people live through that".

Last edited by a moderator:
Well I'm 9 days post op and I have to admit I wasn't very good on the anaesthetic. I was hallucinating, wet with sweat, thought i was tied down. It was awful. Apparently only 2% of people get sick like this.
Thank god my mum came with me!! However I insisted on getting out of bed to go to the toilet in the middle of the night and as soon as I stood up I instantly snapped out of it and was fine again. Needless to say I won't be having any other elective surgery!! Lol.
Now I'm 9 days post op and 15lb down I can't believe how great I feel. Stitches removed today. All is healthy and minimal scars! I'm already eating mashed potato and mashed veg. I tried some turkey yesterday cut into small pieces and well chewed. I'm so pleased!! You will soon forget the operation once you see the weight dropping!!!!! :) xx

Wow! At least I'm not the only one worried. I'm going in on Thursday for a band. Desperate to get my life back so I've paid to go private. So worried as never been in hospital before :-(
Do I need to removed false eyelashes?
Shall I have soup in for after the Op? Help anyone?!! Eve xx

Hi Eve. You could double check with your hospital, but I think the general guidelines are no make-up (including your lashes), no nail polish and no creams/moisturisers on the skin etc due to infection control... The anaesthetist might tape your eyes shut for surgery/use an eye ointment.

The hospital should also provide you with dietary guidelines for immediate post op eating which I think with the band are going to be liquids that can go up a straw - so yes, clear soups, milkshake that sort of thing. I also read somewhere don't buy loads of one food stuff in case when you come to eat it, it makes you feel nauseous and you want something else!

Where and when are you going for your op? Good luck :) x x

Too late! I did a lovely long reply to this to see I am far too late to offer you help/advice as you'll be way past this stage! Hope all went well x x

Can somone give me a run through on prep for the op? .. do they put any needles in before you get to operating theatre? are you fully awake etc i was 8 when i had my last surgery and im really scared :(

I walked from the waiting room to the pre- theatre room, where I was asked to jump on a trolley. I was them wheeled into theatre, where everyone I hadn't already met introduced themselves, everyone else said hello. This is where my memory fades, they may have given me and injection, but I can't remember it, they wired me to monitors put a mask over my nose and mouth, asked me to count back from 10, I vaguely remember 8 and then the ******* woke me up. All done.

Hi pixie. Don't worry. They put the drip line thing in your arm before surgery and tape it up. Your awake when you go into theatre, but I was so relaxed I think they may have given me something. I said hello to the anaesthesiologist and she explained what would happen. The next thing I remember is waking up. I don't remember having a breathing mask put over my face or anything. No count down. It was fine. Xx

Back