• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Gastric Balloon - Advice PLEASE!!

J-Mo

I'm booked in to have mine done tomorrow & I'm petrified about the actual procedure itself.

Its being done on NHS so after more than a year on the waiting list I've researched all about what to expect afterwards but would appreciate any advice/tips etc.

I feel like sitting & crying 'cos I've let myself get into this situation, I'm so ashamed & scared....
:wave_cry:

Hi J-Mo
Just wanted to say hi and welcome to minis. Congratulations on your op tomorrow. I can't give you any advice on the balloon as i've had a bypass but please don't feel ashamed or upset we are all the same on here and that's why we have had/ or are waiting for surgery. It's natural to be scared i was terrified the night before my op but you will be in good hands and it's the start of a whole new way of life. I'm sure someone will come along soon with advice but good luck and please come back and let us know how you get on x

Hi J-mo and welcome to MM.
Pls dont be ashamed and scared we are all in a similar situation and are either pre op or post opp.
I dont think there are many on MM who have had a balloon i think i have only read one quite some time ago.
Am sure their will be others along soon, good luck for tomorrow and hope u have a speedy and pain free recovery.
Take care luv Roch xx

This time tomorrow it will be LOL! Dont get yourself into a tizz - you will be fine. Just listen to what the Docs tell you and best of luck.

I'm officially a failure & what a horrible vile day I've had.

Went into hospital for balloon to be fitted at 8am. Was told no beds available on 'weight loss surgery' ward where I was suposed to be treat so I was sent to a 'general' ward. Nurse there asked me if it was true I was having balloon fitted 'cos I didn't look that fat to her!! I said yes my BMI showed I was morbidly obese to which she replied 'strange when u got a thin pretty face & must just be for vanity' & walked off.

At 12.30pm I was still waiting to have the balloon fitted & by this point was extremely frightened. I'd expressed several times that I thought I'd have probs having tube put down but was told I'd have no probs as I'd be given mild sedation. I have probs gagging cleaning my teeth & when I go to dentist. I've expressed this several times on numerous appointments.

The consultant who was fitting the balloon came up to me & looked twice then he too questioned me for having balloon fitted as he didn't think I was fat enough. He said that majority of his patients couldn't even fit in the chair that I was sat in.

I was then led to the room where they were to insert the balloon & I again expressed my concerns which no one seemed to take seriously. The consultant was having problems getting the syringe into the saline bag used to inflate the balloon & asked if I could not just go on a diet to lose my weight, ha,ha!! Very funny NOT!!

I could not have it done anyway as they just could not get me to swallow the tube. I kept gagging & it felt like I was being choked. So I failed.

I was then wheeled back up to the general ward where I stayed until 6pm when I moved to the 'weigth loss surgery' ward. In all of that time I did not see a doctor, consultant etc. The nurses had no idea what was happening or why I was even being kept in. Then after asking numerous times to go home, I was told if I did I was more or less discharging myself! Which I did at 8.30pm.

Gotta go back 7am tomorrow to find out what the consultants have decided to do with me & may not even get my balloon or surgery.

To say I'm disheartened, disappointment & depressed is putting it mildly.

Before anyone asks how fat I am, I was sat in hospital today in size 20 jeans, I'm 5'2" & weight 120kg. So, yeah, I do think I qualify for whatever weight loss surgery they agree to give me.

I'm booked in to have mine done tomorrow & I'm petrified about the actual procedure itself.

Its being done on NHS so after more than a year on the waiting list I've researched all about what to expect afterwards but would appreciate any advice/tips etc.

I feel like sitting & crying 'cos I've let myself get into this situation, I'm so ashamed & scared....
:wave_cry:

Bless you...Don't feel that way...the whole process of putting on the weight we have is a combination of so many things...from the psychological to the genes you carry...and you are not alone...Welcome to Mini's

I'm sorry I have not had any surgery at all and have no idea about the balloon...I'm sure someone will be alone to help you out soon.

BTW...all the very best for tomorrow...let us know how you get on as soon as you can.
(((hugs)))

Ok you're not the failure here and once all is resolved i would put this all in writing to the trusts director as you have been treated despicably.

Hang in there Hun don't let the bar stewards grind ya down - you're the brave one being able to ask for help. Make sure you make the management know how harsh the staff have been.
We are all here for you xxx

Bless you...Don't feel that way...the whole process of putting on the weight we have is a combination of so many things...from the psychological to the genes you carry...and you are not alone...Welcome to Mini's

I'm sorry I have not had any surgery at all and have no idea about the balloon...I'm sure someone will be alone to help you out soon.

BTW...all the very best for tomorrow...let us know how you get on as soon as you can.
(((hugs)))

Ops, that will teach me to not read to the bottom....

I'm sorry things didn't go to plan today...they all seem rather abrupt in this hospital of yours...Even if you are small by their standards, your PCT said ok..so that should be that.

I would think that by having you back so early they might try again...maybe this time they'll put you out...

Good luck...let us know how you get on hun.

(((hugs)))

Should of told them that if it has been granted it wasnt for them to pass comment!Cheeky bs,and what a waste of time and money for not sedating you when you had clearly told them about your gag reflex.I am suffering now because a nurse insisted he WOULD find a vein in my hand for a cannula and damaged the nerve to my thumb.No feeling in it and jerks any time,like today with a scalding hot mug of tea in my hands!!

Hun ur not a failure at all and how dare staff on the ward comment on whether u r big enough or not to have surgery.
Hun pls ask them to knock you out first then you will of course not have the gag reflex prob, from what i know i always thought they sedated patients first.
You will get your surgery today was not your fault at all so pls dont carry on blaming yourself.
(((((big hugs to you ))))

I'm so sorry you hd a terrible day and were treated with such ignorance and disrespect especially when you were frightened in the 1st place. I'm like you and have a real phobia about things going down my throat that may choke me so def get them to knock you out. Hopefully with that early time tomorrow they are having another attempt good luck and let us know how you get on x

Good luck for tomorrow, hope all goes well for you. I can't really advise you as its something I don't know much about. I know Blondemoment had one and I think she lost around 3 stone in 6 months. I'm sure if she's reading this she will help youx

im really suprised that SRH has treated you in this way, which surgeon was doing the proceedure ? let me know what they say tomorow x

liz x

I am so sorry to hear about the traumatic time you had both mentally and physically. Don't let it put you off. Your PCT would not have agreed to fund the GB is they didn't think you needed it. Do you have to be awake to have the GB or could it be done under sedation/anaesthetic? I hope everything goes alright for you tomorrow.

Rebirth

Thinking of you this morning - good luck pet!:wave_cry:

Well I'm home & still fat!!!!!

They discharged me without doing any procedure & have to wait until the consultants have their next groupe meeting.

Which is in 2 weeks as they on away for 2 weeks. Once they've decided on the next stage they will let me know.

To say I'm disappointed is putting it mildly, in fact I'm distraught.

I had to be back at the hospital at 7am & waited until 10.30am before I saw the doctor who discharged me.

My consultant is Mr Balapore (not sure of spelling) who I'm told is lovely but I wouldn't know as I've never met him. It was Dr Nylander who attempted to put tube down my throat to insert the balloon. The doctor I saw today explained the spary they give is meant to make you feel like your throat is closing up & you can't swallow. Which wasn't explained to me by Dr Nylander & is why I felt like I was choking. Dr Nylander was also the one who asked if I couldn't just lose weight via diet & save him the agro!

I've met some lovely people on the ward who are happy with the treatment they have had so please don't let me put anyone off.

I'm still prepared to undergo whatever they offer me to succeed in my quest to lose weight.

Back to waiting for me & looks like I will be fat & 40!!!

Back