• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Protein Bars

Meggie moo

Can anyone recommend nice tasting low fat high protein bars that are reasonably priced!

Not that keen on the shakes x

Meggie moo said:
Can anyone recommend nice tasting low fat high protein bars that are reasonably priced!

Not that keen on the shakes x

Hi Meggie moo,tesco ultra slim bars are pretty good £2.99 for 3,check the label for suitability tho,I had them whilst following vlcd,nice tasting too.

edge said:
Hi Meggie moo,tesco ultra slim bars are pretty good £2.99 for 3,check the label for suitability tho,I had them whilst following vlcd,nice tasting too.

Ooo will do thanks edge x

Hi

The best thing is to make your own, my wife makes all mine and my weight training sons protein bars for a fraction of the shop price.have a google search, there are loads of receipts out there.

Paul

Paul, that sounds great. I would love to try to make some but couldn't trust myself LOL I need things wrapped separately to put me off binging. It's weird that the old demons are still there. Bake and I could eat the lot (if the band didn't stop me after the first two or three items) but have things in the cupboard in sealed packets and I am not tempted to go mad...oh well :sigh: understanding our triggers and developing coping strategies is half the battle :) I have just ordered some chocolate protein bars from the Internet ... Will feedback on what they taste like. Last ones I had (phd chocolate orange) were so sickly sweet/chemically ... Yuk!

Paul-H said:
Hi

The best thing is to make your own, my wife makes all mine and my weight training sons protein bars for a fraction of the shop price.have a google search, there are loads of receipts out there.

Paul

Never even thought about that - thank you Paul great idea x

Would still love to make my own, but cannot trust myself, so have eaten the Internet bought one.

Snack ... 209 calories and 20g of protein. It was chocolate flavour maximuscle bar. Good if you like dark chocolate ... i prefer cadburys dairy milk ... so i dont think i would be tempted to have more than one at a sitting. dont look shocked ... i bet most of us have been there :eek: Took a while to eat as it was so chewy and filling. In fact I am bloated as I think I was supposed to have drunk a glass of water with it ... But all in all its definitely better than eating a whole treat size bag of maltesers or minstrels (or even a family size bag ... If I am 100% honest I have been known to do that) I will definitely be carrying one around in my handbag and car ... Should the desire for a healthyish treat or an emergency arise, and there be no healthier options available....:)

flutterby1966 said:
Would still love to make my own, but cannot trust myself, so have eaten the Internet bought one.

Snack ... 209 calories and 20g of protein. It was chocolate flavour maximuscle bar. Good if you like dark chocolate ... i prefer cadburys dairy milk ... so i dont think i would be tempted to have more than one at a sitting. dont look shocked ... i bet most of us have been there :eek: Took a while to eat as it was so chewy and filling. In fact I am bloated as I think I was supposed to have drunk a glass of water with it ... But all in all its definitely better than eating a whole treat size bag of maltesers or minstrels (or even a family size bag ... If I am 100% honest I have been known to do that) I will definitely be carrying one around in my handbag and car ... Should the desire for a healthyish treat or an emergency arise, and there be no healthier options available....:)

Thanks flutterby were they expensive x

hi,
I recently bought a maximuscle promax meal bar at the gym, it was dark chocolate orange flavour and I really liked it!! It was £2 which is a lot but sure they would be much less in Asda/health food shops. It was 206 calories for the bar with 21grams of protein.It was very chewy and filling, so took small bites( as we're supposed to). Would be a great emergency snack/meal option to keep in your bag, I will defo be buying some more!
Hope this helps
xx

I got them on offer (short date of c 2 months left) ... A pack of 12 for 19.99 normally then get another pack free. Free delivery. Normally 1.66 each, but these then worked out to be 75p each as I found a voucher code for an extra 10% off too.

flutterby1966 said:
I got them on offer (short date of c 2 months left) ... A pack of 12 for 19.99 normally then get another pack free. Free delivery. Normally 1.66 each, but these then worked out to be 75p each as I found a voucher code for an extra 10% off too.

A googling I will go 75p is a lot better than £2 each lol x thank you

I think the Atkins diet they have some protein bars. (I haven't tried them so I don't know whether they are very good or taste nice, but on Atkins you can't have carbohydrates so the bars should be protein based).

I made some, scoop of protein powder, 2 spoon of LF peanut butter, hand full of oats or similar.. Just melt peanut butter and add rest and mix, chill. I thought I had done well until my dietician said that if its a bar, it's a meal! Not a snack! She didn't mind protein water or use powder to make a drink but NO bars unless its a meal.

Thank you for the recipe. I didn't realise it is so easy to make the bar. But I can see the point of your dietician.

I made some, scoop of protein powder, 2 spoon of LF peanut butter, hand full of oats or similar.. Just melt peanut butter and add rest and mix, chill. I thought I had done well until my dietician said that if its a bar, it's a meal! Not a snack! She didn't mind protein water or use powder to make a drink but NO bars unless its a meal.

Mmmm sounds yummy. Tbh I really think it depends what procedure you have had, how big/calories wise the protein bar is (I used to have some called skinny bars for 100 cals each and 10g of protein, and they were my healthy snacks .... But I cannot find them being sold any more) and also at what stage in the wls journey you are. I am maintaining so for me they are fine, and a far better option than having a couple of glasses of alcohol or a bag of sweets :rolleyes:

Hanako said:
I think the Atkins diet they have some protein bars. (I haven't tried them so I don't know whether they are very good or taste nice, but on Atkins you can't have carbohydrates so the bars should be protein based).

I tried an Atkins chocolate brownie protein bar it was yummy x

Back