• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

protein powder

Jamast

So What does protein powder taste like?
Just stocking up on things I'll need post op. Picked up protein powder today and it says to add to milk, juice, soups etc. I am wondering if it taints the flavour of things.

Awful :)

Thanks for that lol. X

Sorry :/ never found a high street brand I could stand. I only found one online that was any good.

To be honest, I would have been surprised if someone h a d said it was lovely lol. I might just add it to milk, and keep soups, juice etc free of it. X

I couldn't stand them even in milk :/ but it's a very individual thing.

Can I ask why you have brought protein powder? Im only asking because I am having a bypass done priveately on 21.5.14, and iv not been told anything about protein/carbs but by coming on here Iv read alot about should eat more protein, avoid carbs etc and I am getting a bit confused with it so would appreciate any advice. Thanks

Can I ask why you have brought protein powder? Im only asking because I am having a bypass done priveately on 21.5.14, and iv not been told anything about protein/carbs but by coming on here Iv read alot about should eat more protein, avoid carbs etc and I am getting a bit confused with it so would appreciate any advice. Thanks

Hi Trish. I'm having the bypass in 3 wks time (NHS). Protein powder is suggested on the eating plan that I've been given by my bariatric team, specifically for the first few weeks when on liquids. I assume it's just way of ensuring that we get some protein when living on liquids as it's difficult to liquidate meat, fish etc.

Hi Trish. I'm having the bypass in 3 wks time (NHS). Protein powder is suggested on the eating plan that I've been given by my bariatric team, specifically for the first few weeks when on liquids. I assume it's just way of ensuring that we get some protein when living on liquids as it's difficult to liquidise meat, fish etc.

This is a great forum for picking up info and advice, suggestions info about all aspects of life after having the surgery.

I've spent hours scouring the threads and asked lots of questions. Ask anything, there will be someone who can advise (or they might know someone else who can help.

i havent bought any i just cannot afford the prices so not sure what i will do but there are a few on here who buy online flavourless ones they use to add to most things

i havent bought any i just cannot afford the prices so not sure what i will do but there are a few on here who buy online flavourless ones they use to add to most things
get skimmed milk powder Hun instead

i have a tin of marvel will that work as i keep that in for my bread maker for hubby ???

For Goodness Shakes taste nice, (ready made) but they are very expensive - about £2.30-£2.50 for 400ml. I only bought it because it was on offer when I saw it.
I have a big tub of On Gold Standard 100% Whey - chocolate flavour which tastes OK with Milk - but rank with water. It has quite a low sugar and carb count but high in protein. I got that from Amazon-about £23 for a tub which will do 29 servings.
I'm looking for a flavourless one to add to foods or to cook with when I am back on proper food again. I've heard Pea Protein is good, but like all of these powders, it's pricey.

Marvel is recommended by many people on here, I haven't used it myself personally yet, but it's on the shopping list.

Skimmed milk powder or any supermarket brand or Marvel probably just the same as protein powder, and a darned side cheaper.

I have used and use myprotein.com Banana or Strawberry flavours. My stomach doesn't like cold liquids again, and they taste vile anyway. Lovely ornament on the shelf to I can face them again :)

Oh - I love the myprotein. Only ones I like, plus they do cheap samples.

i only keep marvel; as the breadmaker requires it other than that never touch stuff like that guess i have to change my thinking as i know when my dad had cancer we had to add it to all his foods/drinks to double the fat content

Skimmed milk powder or any supermarket brand or Marvel probably just the same as protein powder, and a darned side cheaper.

I think the main difference between Protein powder and Skimmed Milk powder is the Carb levels. They Whey Protein is really low in Carbs/Sugar but do tend to be a little higher in fat.
You are right though, they are much more expensive.:)
I'm using them at this stage (just post op) to try and get my protein as the dietician advised that Protein helps healing and can lessen the dreaded hair loss.:eek:

Sadly PokeyKoala, you dietician is getting your hopes up :( My protein is sky high, and I still lose. Make sure your taking calcium though.

I've got liquid Calcium, Biotin and Selenium and just waiting for my local health food shop to get flax seed oil in for me, so I am doing everything I can to lessen the effects.

I know I won't be able to stop it, but i'm going to try and reduce it. My dietician has this funky machine that measures all sorts all vitamin and mineral levels so we can keep an eye on it. Fingers crossed my hopes are not too dashed

Back