• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Protein Rich and Nommy!

shelbell

Proudly maintaining
Just had the most gorgeous protein based dinner tonight, so thought I'd share...

I cooked a sainsburys healthy eating gammon joint in my slow cooker with a glug of apple juice to keep it moist. I swear there wasn't an ounce of fat on it, and it was beautiful. Leftovers in the fridge for nibblys :D

To go with, I made brocolli and cauliflower cheese, as both broc and cauli are a good source of vegetable protein. Kept it simple, just boiled the veg and stirred in to a pan of my low fat cheese sauce (add flour (some) to cold milk (lots), add a tspoon of wholegrain mustard and grated low fat cheese (lots) and slowly bring to the boil, stirring continuously). Have lots leftover in portion tubs to go in the freezer :D

So all in all, a heck of a lot of protein, a small amount of fats from the milk/cheese (moderation etc) and a good yummy happy meal that my boys enjoyed too (they had potatoes with theirs).

sounds delish shel

Yummy, sounds good. Thanks for sharing!;)

mmmmmmmmmmmmm sounds yum - I don't know how you cope cooking for a family as well it must be a real challenge!

simple grom, just make meals that everyone can have, with small adaptations if necessary. That way it's maintainable long term and they eat healthier too.

I did the same kinda thing last night. I made beef in a mushroom peppercorn sauce with mixed veg (carrots, cauliflour, peas) and added mash to hubby's portion. The beef was lean & tender with only a little fat from the creamy sauce. Yum!

Just had the most gorgeous protein based dinner tonight, so thought I'd share...

I cooked a sainsburys healthy eating gammon joint in my slow cooker with a glug of apple juice to keep it moist. I swear there wasn't an ounce of fat on it, and it was beautiful. Leftovers in the fridge for nibblys :D

To go with, I made brocolli and cauliflower cheese, as both broc and cauli are a good source of vegetable protein. Kept it simple, just boiled the veg and stirred in to a pan of my low fat cheese sauce (add flour (some) to cold milk (lots), add a tspoon of wholegrain mustard and grated low fat cheese (lots) and slowly bring to the boil, stirring continuously). Have lots leftover in portion tubs to go in the freezer :D

So all in all, a heck of a lot of protein, a small amount of fats from the milk/cheese (moderation etc) and a good yummy happy meal that my boys enjoyed too (they had potatoes with theirs).

iv never cooked a joint in the slow cooker i use mine for casseroles what do you do with it? how much fluid how long etc

Oooh joints in slow cookers is the best way! I do my roast chicken in there too. Delicious, moist and sooo tender.

Gammon

I add about a cm of liquid to the bottom, can use diet coke, cider, apple juice etc, or just a stock. Cook on medium or high for 2 hours then low for about 4-5 hours.

Beef/Lamb
I tend to cook mine with a gravy, so I add as much gravy as I think I'm going to need! Normally 1pt as there is only 3 of us. Cook on low for 6-8 hours. Yum. Make the gravy very thick as the juices from the meat will dilute it.

Chicken
I don't add any liquid. Just whack in the bird, cook on low for 6-8 hours. You will get loads of liquid coming out, which you can use to make gravy. Be warned, lifting it out can be fun, as it will literally fall apart. You can shove 2 halves of a lemon up its innards, pop some garlic in the bottom, add a glug of white wine etc. Whatever you fancy!

HTH :)

I use mine lots for joints too but never tried a chicken. I just chuck the joint in (silverside is good, as it leg of lamb, if you like them well done and really soft) and add some water. I reduce the cooking liquid down, skim thw fat off and use to make gravy afterwards. You can also chuck some veg in too so everything cooks together!

Grom you have to try chicken. It's amazing.

sounds fab - am going to try it this weekend! Do you leave skin on?

I do for ease of it. The fat comes out from under the skin, so as long as you skim the liquid before using it for anything its ok.

I have'nt got a slow cooker, but think I would like one, any recommendations ladies?

I have'nt got a slow cooker, but think I would like one, any recommendations ladies?

Hi allie congrats on your bypass surgery and hope you are feeling well. As i am due for bypass surgery on sunday at walsall unless they cancel me like vicky can you offer any advice. lol janey

Hi Janey
Not long hun, how ya getting on with the pre op? If they have told you to go in sunday at 7am, ring saturday afternoon and be prepared to go in saturday evening, they did that on me, said I will lose my bed if I didn't go in then, I only live 15 mins away, so it was'nt to bad. Its ok the staff are lovely, over worked but still really nice. They will get you up at 6am on sunday for a shower and to put your gown on. I was 3rd on the list (only 3 of us) and went down about 12.30, the first was about 08.30 and 2nd about 10.00. They will take blood and put a canula in on saturday night also.
Just make the most of the morphine pump after the op, you only have it for that day and the day after, then its just paracetamol. I had to ring my GP once home to get something stronger and dissolvable. You will be fine chucks, I was and I'm a right wuss lol. I wish you lots of luck chucks. x

thanks mate am waisting away here and cannot wate to get it done. The only thing is i am now really scared after they cancelled vickys they might cancel mine also. x janey

I should'nt worry chucks cuz it would'nt be in their interests to cancell too many in one period of time, well thats how I think anyways. Sunday is neary hear only 3 possibly/more than likely 2 sleeps away! whoooooooooooooooo. x

Allie a slow cooker is a must i got a crockpot from costco, not done a roast in mine as i tend to like lamb/beef a little pink but i hve done some great stews and soups.

The problems i have had recently also preclude the roasts but i need to up my intake so i might try a chicken once i am off fluids again

Back