• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

protein shake as a meal substitute???

soon2Byummymummy!

Loves a Chat!
Hi guys want to pick your brains. have really good restriction at the moment and losing weight steadily but am concerned that i am not getting very good amounts of protein in. i am tighter in the morning so generally do not have breakfast unless its a cup of tea at work so no food til lunch. hence the rubbish levels of protein. was wondering about having a protein shake in the morning as a substitute for breakfast?? i am walking four times per week but other than working full time and looking after the family and home i cant stay i do very strenuous exercise so would having the protein drink as a meal replacement be ok i mean it wouldn't make me gain weight would it?? i average around 700 cals per day at present as i cant eat in the morning what do you guys think many thanks in advance for reading:)

If your protein levels are not very good I wouldnt suggest a protein shake as a meal replacement ( for brekkie) as our bodies do not absorb a protein shake say like a bypasser does ( thats if my memory serves me correctly from another postee wrote on here once) I know where u are coming from regarding band being tighter in the morning etc, if its a case of you needing more protein rather then u not being able to eat brekkie etc then why don't you try upping your protein in the other meals you are able to eat? with regards to brekkie have u tried a small amount of running porridge, fruit smoothie,milky coffee or normal yogurt with no bits in and maybe add a little milk to thin it out I know its difficult because like me I never know from one day to the next how my restriction is going to be so I know where your coming from, Wishing you all the best Julie xx

Milky coffee for brekkie instead of tea?

Yes instead of a cuppa tea, and the only reason I suggested it too lady in question is because tea with semi skimmed milk has 13 calories, no fat,carbs,or protein in it ( according to my fitness pal) where as a milky coffee with skimmed milk has 148 calories, 3g of fat, 9g of protein, and 13g of carbs. Just thought as the lady in question cannot manage brekkie it would help boost her protein and calorie intake, HTH Julie xxx

My provider recommends a protein shake for breakfast if your band is too tight.

I would double check with your provider first but I often have a slim fast for breakfast as my band is tight first thing too :D its a good way to make sure you are getting enough into your diet as your band is tight and your diet restricted.

Blue diamond - we do absorb protein, we dont need quite as much as bypassers because they dont absorb as much as 30% of what they eat which is why its more important for them to focus on protein and taking vitamins.

You can have too much protein though, the body breaks the protein down and then has to get rid of the waste products, which could be harmful if they built up.

Lower carb would be better if you can stomach them, especially if the reduced carb means less sugar.

The whey protein ones really upset my stomach though which is why I stick with slim fast :D

Good Luck with getting this sorted. Joanne x You are doing great & where else could you get expert advice based on experience like this anywhere else :):)

As a weight lifter I use a lot of whey protein in my diet. 2 scoops of the brand I use, mixed with water, will give me 45g of protein, 1.4g carbs and 1.4g of fat and 180Kcals. For meal replacement I mix it with 400mls of semi-skimmed milk. This changes the numbers to 60g of protein, 21g of carbs and 8.5g of fat with 370Kcals. We need the protein post workout to repair the muscles damaged during our workout. Post-op I used them to stop my body comsuming my muscle mass for fuel as I has spent the previous 4 months trying to grow them!!

Whey protein can be a cheapish source of protein and I found it much easier on my stomach post op, but then I had no problems with the milk diet pre-op and I know that some don't like milk and struggle.

Your body will absorb whey protein within 90 minutes. If you are looking for slower absorption, perhaps to last you overnight, consider using casein or a mix of the two before before bed.

Sorry if this is a bit too much info.

HTH

Chris

Back