• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Proximal/distal? Exactly how much is bypassed?

It's_me

Hi all,

I forgot to ask this question at my initial consultations (but will definately ask my surgeon when my time comes). How much of your small intestine was bypassed? Did you as the patient have any input in this? Is it dependant on BMI? Is it the more that is bypassed the greater the malasorbtion, therefore more likely to be dependant on medication to supplement vitamins and minerals? Is there any correlation between length of bypass and dumping?

I know there are lots of questions but I have been so focussed on the results of weightloss surgery I havn't stoppped to think about the actual medical procedure.

I have the weighloss surgery for dummies book which explains alot but it would be great to hear personal accounts/stories. Thanks.

Nadine

My surgeon didn't discuss this with me but when I got a copy of my op details it seems that 150cms was bypassed. I don't know if everyone has the same. I have to take forcieval vitamins, Calcichew, iron tablets and zinc for life.

Good luck for your op:)

wow I never thought about this. Good question!

I saw a programme the other day that said it's usually between 100 and 150cms as too little and weight loss isn't as good and too much could result in chronic malnutrition.

I was never told how much had been done, so no idea if that is a factor in my chronic malabsorption. However I assume mine was not a particularly large bypass as I was one of my surgeons smaller patients BMI-wise.

Sent from my iPhone using Forum Runner

Mine was only 80cm as I was one of his smaller patients... I'd lost 5 stone before surgery. My surgeon told me I'd had a mini bypass as its usually 100-150cm. x

Thanks for your replies. Now that my funding has been agreed I want to get as much info as possible on the medical/surgical procedure.

Back