• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Do you know how much you've been bypassed?

Rising_Sun

Chugging along
Was just reading about proximal and distal gastric bypass and wondered if surgeons routinely tell you which they will do or have done. I hadn't picked this info up to ask at my surgical consult back in March. You will have a proximal bypass if your small intestine is bypassed at less than 100cm. Distal describes a longer RNY limb i.e a bypass of more than 100cm and this may increase the amount of weight loss.

Bypassers, do you know how much you were bypassed by?

no!!:eek::eek:

ok..I had a pre-op (literally 20 mins pre-op) conversation with my surgeon about this - I was asking if he customises the size of the pouch - which they don't, but he said what they do do is to decide on the length of the bypass. Much of what he said is lost on me at the mo, but he said the max for very very obese is 200cm, but this has risks for malnutrition in the future, he put mine at 175, due to what my future physical intentions are.

Does that make sense?

Mine was 125 cm - have the details on a copy of the referal letter sent to my GP so i know exactly how much was bypassed !

Thanks tpt. It sure makes sense.

I think I will be asking for the longest limb possible. My bmi is in the SMO range.

Thanks tpt. It sure makes sense.

I think I will be asking for the longest limb possible. My bmi is in the SMO range.

I will ask again as lots of what he said did not sink in, my BMI was only 36 to start but I have sort of different circumstances to most.

He also said that the weight re-gain percentages are 2-5%, and this is always dut to stretching your pouch..which is usually done in the first 3-10 months.

Do ask - I had not thought about the bypass length aspects but as posted previously, thought that they made decisions over pouch sizes which they don't.

On my discharge summary it says:

"Each limb of the Roux-en-y gastric bypass was measured at 100cm"

If I understand the discription of the proximal & distal versions of this surgery, my limb lengths suggest a mixture of both techniques. It is a little long to be considered a proximal cut and a little short on the other end to be called distal I think.

Not really sure to be honest!

Nic;)

thx rising thats going on my list to ask, poor guy will be bombarded with questions.... main question will be how soon though now I have got over the shock of no keyhole lol. but i have picked out my tattoo to cover the scar lmao. hubby thinks Im nuts, hes right....:eek:

Hi
I thought i had researched the RNY well, but obviously i hadn't as i was not aware of the whole proximal/distal thing. Can anyone point me in the direction of a good place to read up about this ?

I was told by Miss Heitmann that the bypass they carried out on me was 150cm of the small intestine. I guess that means my weight loss will hopefully be good as long as I work with the procedure as I intend to.

.... but i have picked out my tattoo to cover the scar lmao. hubby thinks Im nuts, hes right....:eek:

Ummm..you will need to research that as well hun - I am covered in tats and lots of tattooists won't ink over scar tissue. Make sure you research, research and then research some more as shoddy art work is on you for life and really hard to correct!!:eek:

Ummm..you will need to research that as well hun - I am covered in tats and lots of tattooists won't ink over scar tissue. Make sure you research, research and then research some more as shoddy art work is on you for life and really hard to correct!!:eek:

yeah I already have 2 so thats fine, I was thinking more of a vine of flowers up the side of the scar if they wont go over it. If they will ill have it criss crossing over the scar so theres minimal work on it. eg the vine on it rather than the flower

thread hijacker alert...runs off sorrreeeee:(

Was just reading about proximal and distal gastric bypass and wondered if surgeons routinely tell you which they will do or have done. I hadn't picked this info up to ask at my surgical consult back in March. You will have a proximal bypass if your small intestine is bypassed at less than 100cm. Distal describes a longer RNY limb i.e a bypass of more than 100cm and this may increase the amount of weight loss.

Spot the ignormus sat typing at this keyboard. I just presumed everyone had the same amount done. Well this will sure be a question i am writing on my list of questions... Am starting to get excited for my first appt tomorrow :D

Spot the ignormus sat typing at this keyboard. I just presumed everyone had the same amount done. Well this will sure be a question i am writing on my list of questions... Am starting to get excited for my first appt tomorrow :D

lol your not on your own, I assumed all were the same procedure and not measured:D good luck for tomorrw, I just noticed my ticker...now Im crapping it lol, but ive wront it on my ever growing list of things to ask. Seems most people find out after their op and Im too nosey and want to know before. Or maybe they decide while doing the op how long as how would they know when they havent looked ?

Ladies and gentlemen i know i am coming across as really stupid as i have had my bypass 4 months ago but had no idea about the above, never asked. Now the question is i want to know so i have an appointment at walsall manor on the 28th for wheight management clinic will anna or dr heatland be able to tell me which one of the above i have had?:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

Back