• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Psychology appointment

Spikeyjaycee

Hi guys
I've got my psychologist appointment on Tuesday at St Richards. Anyone know what they are likely to ask so I can be prepared?
Thanks in advance for all replies!

I can't be 100% as I have not had it myself but I did read somewhere that they got you to fill a questioniare....I assume just random questions abdout your life, food, emotional issues etc. From what I hear it is not a big deal.

Are you going private or NHS? Wanting to go private with Shaw Somers but don't want to have to travel back and forth to go to a psychologist appointment.

Good luck and I hope someone can give you much more help!

Hi, i have just had mine. I think every hospital is different, but at l&d she asked about family history, med history, a lot of questions about your relationship to food, which i could not answer as i have no idea how other people feel, to me i am normal, to other people i may not be. I passed with flying colours.
Good luck

The purpose of a psyc appt is to also make sure you are established with CBT or postop psyc back-up should it be necessary. It is vital after a wls op that a person does not go back to binge eating or overeating. Also some people may cope with the inability to eat the things they used to before by taking on other behaviour such as possibly self-harm, alcoholism or any other behaviour that may harm them. So there are no right or wrong answers at a psych appt. Just be honest because the doctor is there to help you get the best out of your wls.

I can't be 100% as I have not had it myself but I did read somewhere that they got you to fill a questioniare....I assume just random questions abdout your life, food, emotional issues etc. From what I hear it is not a big deal.

Are you going private or NHS? Wanting to go private with Shaw Somers but don't want to have to travel back and forth to go to a psychologist appointment.

Good luck and I hope someone can give you much more help!

Hi EmmaLouise. I'm NHS funded and seeing Guy Slater. I've filled in the questionnaires and I presume its because of what I wrote on them that they want to talk to me. Either that or they've got me down as a trouble maker cos the questionnaires had typos and spelling mistakes in them and I corrected them before answering them!!! Or maybe that was part of the test? :p
Thanks for the link Snowcrystal - very useful.
Soon Slim Sue and Lady in London - thanks for your replies too.

Both the psychologists at St Richards in the bariatrics are lovely. I have seen Janet a few times - I had forms to fill in to take with me and then she just asked me about my eating, my history and an average day. I found her so helpful that I have been to see her a few times (at my own expense). It really is nothing to worry about unless you have a serious underlying issue which would likely undermine the surgery (anyone can out eat wls if they try hard enough).

I am there on Friday to see her again...

Emma Louise - just tell them you are travelling a long distance and they will try to minimise the number of visits for you. In addition, not everyone has to see the psychologists, lots of people only need to do forms - so don't let this put you off. Just talk to them - everyone has been so helpful whenever I have called (I am NHS). Shaw Somers is wonderful, I am so pleased he is now my surgeon.

BTW - I requested a psych assessment - I was not told I needed one...

Back