• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

st richards

juliet64

hi can anyone who has had a bypass at st richards tell me if they had to see the psychcologist, also from their initial appointment what was your next contact from the hospital and what sort of time frame it was.thanks.julie.x

hi can anyone who has had a bypass at st richards tell me if they had to see the psychcologist, also from their initial appointment what was your next contact from the hospital and what sort of time frame it was.thanks.julie.x
Hi Julie, no did'nt have to see a psychologist as part of my assessment and im pretty sure that the other 3 that were in hospital with me did'nt either. From my initial appointment i did'nt hear from them again until they offered me a date for my operation i waited 6 1/2months from initial appointment to operation date. I am aware that other parts of the country (reading threads on here) they have to go through all sorts of things i did'nt have too. xxx

Hi
I had to see the shrink cos I am on anti depressants - but others on the ward were and they didnt ! maybe I came across a bit doo lally !!!

anyway he offered me the op and I got a letter through the post with a shrink appointment but I was private so timescales will be different

xxx

i was offered band or bypass [had band] have a history of depression and bulimia and never had to see one either i think unless you are currently on something your be fine

i didnt see one but was / am on antidepresents and was seeing a counsellor at the time of my first appiontment it may have more to do with which surgeon you see shaw summers or guy slater.
just for info they have moved from the chichester treatment center to the loxwood center. which is close to car park 2. at the other end of the hospital past a and e from the main reception.
dave

hi julie i am due to have a bypass with shaw in 4/6 months. i had my initial appointment with him last wed, what a lovely man so kind. i am on antidepressants but i didnt have to see a shrink but he says that after the op everyone sees one as part of the aftercare. hope this helps.
love kate xxx

hi wendy im also on list with shaw somers saw him in feb, an saw psych last week she was lovely,just talk about how you got to were you are weight wise,your expectations of surgery, an how you think you will cope having a long term friend[food] taken away.i passed with flying colours sure you will to. just waiting now debbie x:553:

thankyou for all your answers, i will just wait and see what happens now if i have to see the the psych then so be it hopefully the wait wont be to long.julie.x

Hi guys. Well I saw Mr Slater yesterday and he said yes I could have the bypass (and hubby now understands why I want this particular operation). What happens now is that I have to go and see a dietician, a psychologist and an anethatist and as long as they are happy, its all systems go. Will be another 4-5 months before the operation. I told him about this forum and he asked me to pass on a message to people waiting to hear from St Richards:
The NHS are playing silly beggers about waiting times so the hospital is doing all it can to see people as soon as possible. They have drafted in surgeons from others areas to try and clear the backlog, so if you are waiting, you will get seen. They are aware of you all!
My appointment was for 1.30pm and it was 1.50pm before Mr Slater got there (had been in theatre all morning). He didn't even have time for his lunch. There were 2 ladies waiting to be seen after me! He looked tired and drained, so please be gentle with him when you do see him. He's our new best friend and we don't want to take him for granted!
Oh, by the way, some people have asked what happens at the initial appointment. Velai, the batriatric nurse measures your height and weighs you - that's all. She may then give you a chat about the operations available and ask which one you want. This is reiterated by the surgeon who also asked you about your eating habits and what a typical days food is. He then goes over the procedure and what will happen.It useful at this point to have a list of questions written down (cos your mind goes blank). You are only in there 30 mins.
Hope this helps anyone waiting to be seen. Will keep everyone updated as to when I hear from the dietician etc. Best wishes. Julie x

hi julie thanks for the information, did guy slater tell you how long it will be before you see the psych. i had my appointment on the 16th of april with shaw sommers and all i have recieved is a letter which is a copy of what he sent to my gp saying that he was going to do a keyhole bypass.
glad your appointment went well hopefully by christmas we will all be done and dusted.julie.x

Hi guys. Well I saw Mr Slater yesterday and he said yes I could have the bypass (and hubby now understands why I want this particular operation). What happens now is that I have to go and see a dietician, a psychologist and an anethatist and as long as they are happy, its all systems go. Will be another 4-5 months before the operation. I told him about this forum and he asked me to pass on a message to people waiting to hear from St Richards:
The NHS are playing silly beggers about waiting times so the hospital is doing all it can to see people as soon as possible. They have drafted in surgeons from others areas to try and clear the backlog, so if you are waiting, you will get seen. They are aware of you all!
My appointment was for 1.30pm and it was 1.50pm before Mr Slater got there (had been in theatre all morning). He didn't even have time for his lunch. There were 2 ladies waiting to be seen after me! He looked tired and drained, so please be gentle with him when you do see him. He's our new best friend and we don't want to take him for granted!
Oh, by the way, some people have asked what happens at the initial appointment. Velai, the batriatric nurse measures your height and weighs you - that's all. She may then give you a chat about the operations available and ask which one you want. This is reiterated by the surgeon who also asked you about your eating habits and what a typical days food is. He then goes over the procedure and what will happen.It useful at this point to have a list of questions written down (cos your mind goes blank). You are only in there 30 mins.
Hope this helps anyone waiting to be seen. Will keep everyone updated as to when I hear from the dietician etc. Best wishes. Julie x
Fab news Julie, glad you finally got your initial appointment over and done with, full steam ahead and you'll soon be on the losing side. The whole team are great things have definitly changed in a few months as i did'nt have to see the pshchologist i just saw Shaw Somers and sat and waited for my op. best wishes xxx

I love this forum, i've had nearly all my questions answered just by following everything. Its so weird when you realise everyone else has the same question!! I saw Mr Somers on 17th April and confirmed by phone on Monday just gone that I wanted the bypass and they said they would inform him and that was it. I only had to see the psychiatrist if I was struggling to make my decision which after much research on here and talkin to my family wasn't a struggle. I guess like Tubbyspud I will just sit and wait for my op date. Love Laura xxx

I love this forum, i've had nearly all my questions answered just by following everything. Its so weird when you realise everyone else has the same question!! I saw Mr Somers on 17th April and confirmed by phone on Monday just gone that I wanted the bypass and they said they would inform him and that was it. I only had to see the psychiatrist if I was struggling to make my decision which after much research on here and talkin to my family wasn't a struggle. I guess like Tubbyspud I will just sit and wait for my op date. Love Laura xxx
Laura, i think the worst part of my wait was they said 4-6 months by month 4 i started getting restless and just wanted it done, i thought they might of forgotten me as id not heard anything lol.. rang them just to reassured they hadnt it was just 2 weeks post 6months that i got the call. xxx

Laura, i think the worst part of my wait was they said 4-6 months by month 4 i started getting restless and just wanted it done, i thought they might of forgotten me as id not heard anything lol.. rang them just to reassured they hadnt it was just 2 weeks post 6months that i got the call. xxx
With that said I shall keep my faith and positive attitude! xxxx

Interesting that some people have to see the psychologist whilst others don't. I knew straight away which op I wanted. Mr Slater said that the appointment with the dietician etc would be a few months, but after that appoimtment it was more or less a couple of weeks till the operation! Things are moving........!

Having a psych assessment also depends on your PCT - some insist, others don't. So even if you are totally sure about your op, you might still have to have an assessment.

Think it's a good idea as the idea of living with wls is very different to the reality of it. I plan to ask for an assessment this time around...

hi guys had my first consultation with mr guy slater and he said i would have op within 3/4 months got a copy of the gp letter followed by another letter asking me to go down for an urgent anaestetic review on the 15th may am going to see if i can see dietician and phyco nurse on same day

Back