• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

question about fruit after bypass

chris195

hi every one me again, just wondering when we'v had bypass is fruit ok to eat as its got natural sugar,im thinking about this dumping thing--as my mrs on about doing me smoothings ect. :cry:chris

I have been a sensitive dumper in the early weeks post op and fruit was ok but was very wary of shop bought fruit juices. Hope this helps x

Hiya - fruit makes me go to the loo alot. I wouldnt call it dumping as I have no other symptoms, it just makes me need to 'poo' every time I try it. Im now approx 20 weeks post op. Other people are ot like this, everyone is different. Its just trial and error hun! x

i eat all fruit and have been fine especially oranges and pineapple. Have just had to stew a load of plums as the tree is loaded and cant eat the amount of them i used too. and again can drink no added sugar fruit juice no problem.
HTH
hc

I have a wide variety of fruit without problems. Had fruit smoothies as early as 1 week after surgery (homemade so I knew there was no added sugar). I haven't had problems with stringy bits or even peels, so give it a try once you have reached that stage and see for yourself. I did water my juices down for the first month or so but now I don't even do that, I just check the ingredients to make sure it doesn't have added sugar. Fructose (fruit sugar) and Lactose (milk sugar) are the easiest sugars for bypassers to digest and don't usually cause an increase of insulin which is what technically causes dumping therefore most people post-op are ok with fruit and milk. But like Salski said, we are all different on our tolerances so just give it a go and see how you do.

Nic:D

I eat grapes, pineapple, melon strawberries, etc without any problem. Only thing I would say is be careful when liquidising fruit as the volume you take in could be much higher in one sitting and that might cause you a problem.

10 grapes would not make much of a smoothie :D:D:D

;)that all helps alot thank you all,and can i say my bypass is on 23rd sept, but finding minis best thing i'v done on pc,so you all a gratefull chris.;)

Back