• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

SNACK IDEAS

Mynewlife

Hi

I was wondering if any of you fellow wls members could give me any ideas for what to have for snacks.

I have made my own flapjacks in the past, but my dietician advised that this was generally not healthy because of the sugar content. Also I used to have sultanans quite often, but again was told that dried fruit is not ideal because of the sugar content (even though it is natural sugar). I have got a liking of blueberries lately, and snack on them as they are a fruit that I can tolerate. What do you others eat for snacks? do you make your own snacks? If so can you pass on any recipes. I am a bander but am willing to try any decent recipe or snack idea. I guess I am abit of a grazer, and will tend to have small amounts of food throughout the day.:gen147:

Thanks fellow members

MNL
Ps remember seeing someone mentioning about low fat cheesecake, so any thing like that would be great.:)

hi MNL, firstly banders shouldnt really snack and should have only there 3 meals a day as it defeats the object of the band, but when i have done i usually just have a few prawns or a couple of sea food sticks stuff thats as low calorie as possible as snacking/grazing isnt good for banders and can slow weight loss down. i quite like thin raw carrot sticks with a low fat dip xxx

I am a bypasser but here is my list of snacks:

Dip & veggies

Carrot sticks, cucumber slices, celery
Dips - fat-free yogurt with a dash of english mustard and a bit of artificial sweetner / homemade hummus / low-fat philly cream cheese with a little fat free yogurt / low-fat cottage cheese mixed with a hot salsa makes a fab low cal dip

Celery stick with light peanut butter

Twiglets & light philly cream cheese

cubbed cheese

nuts & seeds

Fruit of any kind

yogurts

beef jerky

Oh and I use protein drinks, protein bars, protein ice cream and protein cake as snacks as well!

Hiya Liz

the snacking thing could be the reason I sometimes struggle with losing as much as I'd like. I think it is an old habbit that is hard for me to break.

Do you only eat three meals a day? what would you say is your average calorie consumption? do you do any type of exercise?
I hope you dont mind me asking, I am just trying to get a feel for what I could change, or maybe what I could improve on, to help me be as successfull as you are. I really appreciate any input you might have.
thanks and take care

MNL:thankyou:

I am a bypasser but here is my list of snacks:

Dip & veggies
Carrot sticks, cucumber slices, celery
Dips - fat-free yogurt with a dash of english mustard and a bit of artificial sweetner / homemade hummus / low-fat philly cream cheese with a little fat free yogurt / low-fat cottage cheese mixed with a hot salsa makes a fab low cal dip

Celery stick with light peanut butter

Twiglets & light philly cream cheese

cubbed cheese

nuts & seeds

Fruit of any kind

yogurts

beef jerky

Oh and I use protein drinks, protein bars, protein ice cream and protein cake as snacks as well!

Hiya PG

when you have "nuts & seeds", how much do you have for a serving?

I have been having a mixture of Pecans, Brazil, hazelnuts, sunflower seeds and pine nuts, about two tablespoons of the mixture as a serving. Would you think this was about right, or too much?

does beef jerky contain a lot of salt? and do you have it for the protein content?

MNL

I consider a small handful a serving so yes about 2tbsp is right. Yes jerky has salt but not too much for me anyway, I like it because it filling and protein based. Also can carry it in your purse/car for when you are out and get hungry.

Hiya PG

when you have "nuts & seeds", how much do you have for a serving?

I have been having a mixture of Pecans, Brazil, hazelnuts, sunflower seeds and pine nuts, about two tablespoons of the mixture as a serving. Would you think this was about right, or too much?

does beef jerky contain a lot of salt? and do you have it for the protein content?

MNL

2 Tablespoons sounds quite a bit to me...maybe switch to one....;)

Hiya Liz

the snacking thing could be the reason I sometimes struggle with losing as much as I'd like. I think it is an old habbit that is hard for me to break.

snackers/grazers tend to be more bypassed, snacking when banded can and will slow/stop weight loss, my surgeon always advises against a band for people that snack as the band allows little and very often in no probs over the course of the day there for allowing more calories to be consumed, i would try to get into a routine of only having the 3 meals, the more small meals a day is more for the bypass people not us.

Do you only eat three meals a day? what would you say is your average calorie consumption? do you do any type of exercise?
I hope you dont mind me asking, I am just trying to get a feel for what I could change, or maybe what I could improve on, to help me be as successfull as you are. I really appreciate any input you might have.
thanks and take care

most days i have my 3 meals only. if its a snack then its a very small very low cal one but i dont plan snacks and never have done. as for exercise i used to do the gym alot but not so often now, im more looking into doing swimming very soon x

as for changes i can only suggest forget the snacks as they are not advisable for banders try to get into more of a daily 3 meal a day routine bypassers have to have small and often but its very different for banders as it defeats the whole idea of having a band x

MNL:thankyou:

i hope i havent caused any offence to you in my reply but this is from personal experience and advice my team gives to banders.

liz x

:D ty gaynor but i have upset certain peeps here before i say it how it is thats all xxx

thankyou hun xx

I think advice from someone who has been successful chasing goals should always be taken when asked for. The voice of experience knows what its talking about.....

I totally agree Julie. This is one of the reasons I don't advise to bypassers. I will support them but I'm not experienced to advise them. I'm a bander and appreciate the advise that I've been given from the experts in this fieldxx

us banders have alot in common with the bypassers but theres certain things that are different and can make a big difference, but i have also learnt alot from bypassers as well in my journey especially from nics guidance from a bypass perspective nutritionally wize, i thank her for that as its helped me personaly with my balance intake from reading her posts shes fabbo xxx

Gosh Ladies, you are so sweet. And I see your point Liz about snacks, when I replied I hadn't given that thought. I always learn for you banders, sometimes it is just good common sense that dictates the best plan of action which you ladies have that by the truck loads, I have feeling that is what makes you both successful! We have more in common as banders & bypassers than we don't have in common that is for sure because ultimately we all want to get healthy and stay that way!

Hugs for your 'tell it like it is' attitude I for one appreciate the heck out of it!
Nic;););)

Hiya Liz & PG, and all those of you that took the time to respond to my thread. I truly appreciate your responses, and any help that you offer. Liz, there is no way that you would offend me. I asked you and wanted to know the answers. If I feel I am going wrong somewhere, I try to nip it in the bud as soon as I find out I could be making a mistake. I dont have a lot of support outside of minimins as I only paid for the surgery and no aftercare. I do have a dietician that I see every 2-3 months, but to be totally frank, am still struggling as I dont think she has been that helpful. I dont know if she treats the patients that have the surgery through them any differently, but will be seeing her next tuesday (04/08/09), and am taking hubby hopefully to try and pin her down to some direct advise. All she does is weigh me, tell me I am on target, and that is about it. I think the NHS patients that have the surgery there get a diet and information pack, so I will see what she has. I value everyones input, and it helps to know what others eat, portion size, how often, etc etc. Any tools that I can gain to help in reaching my goals, can only benefit me. Thank you so much for being there for me.

MNL:)

Back