• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Question regarding surgery

shar0n

Hi :)

As some of you know I have had NHS funding granted, I got to choose and decided to have my surgery at St. Richards in Chichester. I just wondered as I still not have had any contact from the hospital at all, if anyone knows if I will be able to choose what type of bariatric surgery I want being a NHS patient? I am aware that I will be advised, but after years of personal research and knowing myself, I have kind of got my heart set on the bypass. I wonder if anyone can tell me from experience what the chances are that I would be able to choose a gastric bypass or have to go along with what is recommended by the doctors? I want to add that I am so grateful that I am going to get surgery no matter what it is, it feels like i have won a lottery. I just find myself reading up on bypass all the time, and got my hopes up.:sigh:

Sorry if I have gone on a bit.

Thanks
Sharon.

Hi Shar0n! Congrats on getting your funding approved!
I'm at Homerton in Hackney and NHS funded. The process they used was a looong questionaire about past and present eating habits, favourite foods, out of 10 what could you not "live" without and wouldnt mind living without etc. I originally asked for a band - unaware of other procedures, I had heard of them but wasnt clued up. Because of my eating habits and my preferences to particular foods I was advised to have a bypass. I dont know if it's like that for everyone but, my surgeon explained to me that it would be the best procedure for me for those reasons. Good luck and I hope you get what you wish for :D

Unfortunately not all hospitals or PCTs are the same across the country. I was allowed to choose but with lots of advice from my hospital team. You may need to consider what you have been funded for as a band is less expensive than a bypass for instance .
Having started with wanting a band I ended up with a sleeve after much research & advice on what was best for me, my eating habits, my lifestyle etc. we are all different. Good luck.

I didn't go the NHS route so can't give you info on that but I do know St.Richards is extremely popular, and therefore busy so it might seem a while before they get in touch, but once you get the date, it isn't usually that long of a wait. That's what I've noticed from my experience/seeing nhs patients get their date. Hopefully it won't be much longer before the next part of process gets started for you :) x

I'm the same as Ana , I discussed my eating habits with the surgeon and the he asked my preference (which is bypass) and he agreed that a bypass was the best choice for me.

Thanks for the advice everyone. I am going mad waiting, its been about 5 years since I started my journey and some days I wonder if I will ever get there. :)

Back