• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Quick question

Mimsie67

As I have already explained, I have been referred to Charing X for my group meeting on 3rd July.

I have just been informed of a thing called Choose & Book from the NHS where you can supposedly choose where you want to go, there is a private hospital 15 miles up the road from me in Essex that does gastric banding.
I phoned my GP about this as I am disabled and getting to and from London is causing me quite a problem.

I was basically told by my surgery that I wouldn't be able to change to this hospital because it was private??

Has anyone else got any information about this and is it worth speaking to Charing X about it being transferred, when I go for my group meeting.

Thanks for making me feel so welcome on here. I am gradually being put at ease!!!!

Mimsie
xxxxx

Hi Mimsie,
I am in the same boat has you, I have my group meeting in 2 weeks time at the Whittington, I live in Essex and I am also disabled.
The only way of getting to this hospital is if my husband comes with me, so he can push me in the wheelchair. This is because I won't beable to get from the station to the hospital due to not being able to walk far.
Apparently at the Whittington they have group meetings every last Thursday of the month where you can turn up and chat to other patients that have been through surgery ect, if I could get there I would But its way to far to get on my own.
I will be interested to see how you get on if you find a way of transfering to a hospital nearer.
Good Luck.
Hugs xx

Yeah I must admit I really rely on my car but looking at Charing X website they have very limited disabled spaces. I really don't know what to do?

Mimsie
xxxxx

Well that isn't really the end of my problem. I am going to see Take That at Wembley that day so I have got to get straight from the hospital to Wembley. Not sure hospital transport will be up for doing that, LOL!!!!!!!!!

Thanks anyway Margaret, I have asked you on my previouse thread but how do you get these fab sparklies and tickers!!!!! I have been on the websites but can't transfer them to my posts!!!!

Mimsie
xxxxxxxx

Whoop Whoop!!!!!!

Thank you.

Hi Mimsie
No I dont think the NHS is that good to take you to Concerts hun .
I like that song they sing Shine I think its great but I`m an old girl ha ha . You will have to start getting your post up to 50 odd I think first .
But bring up 2 minimins pages click on my sparklies things to get the page up and pick the one you want . Then with the other page go into the USER CP AND GO DOWN TO EDIT SIGNATURE THEN ON THE GLITTER SITE GO DOWN THE PAGE WERE ITS GOT THE BB CODE RIGHT CLICK AND COPY AND PASTE IT TO YOUR EDIT SIGNATURE BOW AND PRESS SAVE SIGNATURE . That should be ok now . I you need any more help hun just get in touch .
MARGARET XX
SORRY TO LATE HUN

Thanks Margaret, job done!!!!

Hi where to go???

You should ring your local PCT office and ask their advice as it is they who will be funding your op and they can help you with many of the questions that we might be stuck on. They might have a restricted list for obesity surgery. When it comes to patients choice the rules are not very clear when dealing with obesity surgery.

The first thing you should consider is where is the safest place to have your op. I want to go to a hospital with a good knowledge and experience of obesity surgery. Most private hospital will not be able to deal with an emergency related to your op and if the worst were to happen a patient would have to be transferred to a NHS hospital to receive emergency treatment. I asked if I could go to my local spire hospital and the PCT pointed out this same concern.

Having said all that I do believe that their are people on here who have had their op at a private hospitals and still been funded under the NHS.

Have you looked at your local PCT criteria for funding? This might help you.

In my own experience I think it would be hard to switch hospital once the ball is rolling. Ethic ect.

I dont think you can use PCT funding for private hospitals
Some of the girls have paid private for their op then gone back to NHS for their after care
There are usually only limited hospitals within areas.
I had 2 choices but here in Luton the obesity centre is a centre of excellence so am quite happy to go there, otherwise I would have had to drag up to London.
The best thing you can do is ask your GP which hospital choices there are in your area, or as the others suggested your PCT who is funding
Good luck

Jay xx

Thank you all very much for the advice. Now you have pointed that all out to me Sarah I can see your point. I will just have to get to grips with sorting out getting to and from appointments.

Mimsie

You will be in great hands at Charing cross. Don't worry. I have been reserching Charing cross and the reviews are very good.

chuckles mimsie you coming visiting then as i live right by the stadium :p

Back