• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

QUESTIONS RE. PROCESS

poppyowner

Hi all

Have some questions - can you help answer them please...

(1) Am referred to Surgeon at Chichester Hospital re. surgery from GP letter - what happens next?

(2) What is the first meeting after they receive your referral and who is it with?

(3) Do they ask you questions when there to determine whether to operate on you or not or just as part of process with intention to operate with GP referral being enough reason?

(4) What questions do they ask and do they try to 'catch you out' to avoid giving you surgery?

(5) If someone along the line refuses you surgery either over discussion at meeting OR funding issues can you appeal?

(6) On first meeting with whoever - what should I take with me to ensure my best chances on success (being okayed for op)?

(7) Do all pre-op tests/checks need to be done at that hospital where hoping to have surgery or can some be done locally?

Hi all

Have some questions - can you help answer them please...

(1) Am referred to Surgeon at Chichester Hospital re. surgery from GP letter - what happens next?

(2) What is the first meeting after they receive your referral and who is it with?

(3) Do they ask you questions when there to determine whether to operate on you or not or just as part of process with intention to operate with GP referral being enough reason?

(4) What questions do they ask and do they try to 'catch you out' to avoid giving you surgery?

(5) If someone along the line refuses you surgery either over discussion at meeting OR funding issues can you appeal?

(6) On first meeting with whoever - what should I take with me to ensure my best chances on success (being okayed for op)?

(7) Do all pre-op tests/checks need to be done at that hospital where hoping to have surgery or can some be done locally?

Sorry hun i dont know the answer to your questions but didnt wanna read and run xx

Hiya....i went to chichester too...am not too far away near portsmouth.

1) Am referred to Surgeon at Chichester Hospital re. surgery from GP letter - what happens next?
i think you will get letter telling you that you have a consultation booked with the surgeon who will do your op Do you have funding approved or is it private? either which the process is the same i think.

the consultation above is normally your first meeting
that is what happened after my referral.

In the consultation you talk about you, a little bit about your history and also the types of operation available and which one they feel you will most benefit from.
You should have a nice large questionaire sent to you to fill out to bring with you to this.

i think if they had their way everyone who wanted the op would get it, they are really nice there and really do understand what a huge (and often scary) step this is for people.
I was originally going private as my GP sucked and told me i wouldn't get funding, but after a private consultation i was told to go back to my GP and request my funding as i should get it....then started the process again through NHS.

not too sure about this, but hopefully someone on here will be able to give some insight.

just be honest, they send you the questionaire and stuff but mostly it's a nice relaxed chat about you and what they can do to help.

best of luck with your journey....chichester team are fantastic!
my first (private) consultation was with Shaw Somers, but my second (NHS) consultation was with Tim John who did my bypass.
brilliant place to be :)

You'll have an assesment day like NW said but will have had to fill out a detailed questionnaire, on that day you see dietician, physician, sugeon, pschologist, bariatric nurse, anaethatist for what feels like very informal chats

As NW said that was my first meeting after refferal.

I do think that they can refuse you but its very rare, it did happen on the day I was there but I think metally this person wasn't prepared at all!

Didn't feel like I was trying to be caught out at all, it was a really lovely chilled out day, just be honest & open with them.

Not sure. x

I went by myself.

I can only echo that Chichester is amazing you really will be in great hands... my first meeting assesment day was with Chris Pring & my surgery was with the awesome Guy Slater. So between NW & I we've met all the surgeons!

Good luck.x

WOW - thanks for the replies everyone! REALLY APPRECIATED!!
I am not sure if I have got the funding or not - basically I went in for my 3rd attempt to get GP to refer me, he finally relented - he has now sent a referral letter to Surgeon at Hospital in Chichester. That is all that I know :s
Who tells me if it will be funded - is it by letter or at the appointment?

My GP reffered me for funding before I was reffered to a hospital so my funding was all in place, I recieved a letter thru the post saying my funding had been approved. xx

Hi Poppy,

I followed a similar route to Linzi.

The difference was that I was being sent out of area and received a letter from my PCT to say I had funding, this arrived via my GP. I had this before going for any of the bariatric appointments.

I'm at the end of all of my pre op requirements but still have monitoring blood tests done in my home county and these are weekly (because I have had cancer treatment and have diabetic problems) so my bloods are done and transferred to the bariatric team.

Good luck and I do hope it all works out well for you. Love and hugs xxx

Back