• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Derby Bypass - So confused!

natashoorrr

Hi guys!

I was wondering if anybody could help me with a few questions

I had a letter from Derby Hosp. and my appointment is January 15th and they want me to bring a load of forms and stuff just saying about what i've done previously etc

Does this mean I have funding? I was expecting like a little marching band and a quartet singing congratulations you have funding or something :D

I got my referral after doing something called tier three which is where I had to loose a certain amount of weight so they said that as a result I wont be expected to see the dietician because i've already done that through the hospital.

So I was wondering if I have received funding and secondly the approx. waiting list for Derby? If anybody has any comments about how their surgery went please let me know :)

Thanks guys!!!

Paula Garner

It doesn't necessarily mean you have funding. The team will apply for it after they accept you for surgery. You usually go on the waiting list when your funding is approved by your PCT.

Waiting list times vary. They can be anything from 9 months to 2 years. Your best off asking at your appointment. I had a gastric bypass at derby on sept 23rd this year. The surgeons are fantastic and the care you get on the ward is excellent. If you have any other questions, feel free to ask. If I can help I will :)

Badgerpink

natashoorrr said:
Hi guys!

I was wondering if anybody could help me with a few questions

I had a letter from Derby Hosp. and my appointment is January 15th and they want me to bring a load of forms and stuff just saying about what i've done previously etc

Does this mean I have funding? I was expecting like a little marching band and a quartet singing congratulations you have funding or something :D

I got my referral after doing something called tier three which is where I had to loose a certain amount of weight so they said that as a result I wont be expected to see the dietician because i've already done that through the hospital.

So I was wondering if I have received funding and secondly the approx. waiting list for Derby? If anybody has any comments about how their surgery went please let me know :)

Thanks guys!!!

Hiya, I'm from Mansfield and my referral was sent to derby 4 weeks ago so I'm waiting for my letter, I have many of the same question too. How long from referral till your letter?

Sent from my iPhone using WLSurgery

kirstyjade

I'm on the waiting list at derby and iv never had a letter about funding it's acctually never even been mentioned I guess I must have automatically got it, I know that can happen depending on where you live I seen people mention it, as for the waiting list iv only been on it for just under 3 months but I called last week and was told that they have an extra surgeon now and also are working every weekend for the foreseeable future and that they did 7 bypasses just last weekend, all to try and get the waiting list down which currently stands at 9-10 months they told me I was looking at around march-April time maybe sooner if all goes well
Hope this helps

Paula Garner

I'm on the waiting list at derby and iv never had a letter about funding it's acctually never even been mentioned I guess I must have automatically got it, I know that can happen depending on where you live I seen people mention it, as for the waiting list iv only been on it for just under 3 months but I called last week and was told that they have an extra surgeon now and also are working every weekend for the foreseeable future and that they did 7 bypasses just last weekend, all to try and get the waiting list down which currently stands at 9-10 months they told me I was looking at around march-April time maybe sooner if all goes well
Hope this helps

I'd ring and double check Kirsty. They told me I had funding and was on the list and I didn't. Have you had a letter to say your on the waiting list?

kirstyjade

Paula Lewis said:
I'd ring and double check Kirsty. They told me I had funding and was on the list and I didn't. Have you had a letter to say your on the waiting list?

Yes I had a letter about a 2 months ago saying I was on the list as of 15th September then I also had a letter confirming I was on the list and stating everything I had spoken about and agreed to at the appointment
Do you think I need to call and ask about funding still? I just assumed I had it since they said I was on the list

s-a-r-a-h

Badgerpink said:
Hiya, I'm from Mansfield and my referral was sent to derby 4 weeks ago so I'm waiting for my letter, I have many of the same question too. How long from referral till your letter?

Sent from my iPhone using WLSurgery

Hi don't know if the waiting time to see the team has changed. About 4 weeks after my GP referred me to derby I got a letter saying that the waiting time for initial appointment was 13 weeks from then receiving the referral. Had my 1st appointment in July 2011 x

Paula Garner

Yes I had a letter about a 2 months ago saying I was on the list as of 15th September then I also had a letter confirming I was on the list and stating everything I had spoken about and agreed to at the appointment
Do you think I need to call and ask about funding still? I just assumed I had it since they said I was on the list

Ahh that's good then. No not if you've had a letter. It won't be long for you now :)

s-a-r-a-h

I'm ok thanks Paula. I'm not managing to eat as much as I could 10 days ago so trying to have snacks. Only been having about 600 cals a day so I'm trying to eat more often. How are you getting on? X

Paula Garner

I'm struggling to eat enough too. I just don't want food. I dont fancy anything, but i'm trying to concentrate on protein when I eat. I've lost 63lb so far, so i'm really pleased. How much have you lost now?

s-a-r-a-h

I've lost 60lb since the start of pre op, I'm really pleased and can notice a big difference. I've been concentrating on my protein too. I have started getting little patches of eczema on my body have you noticed any dry skin? I'm terrified about developing psoriasis because my sister, one brother and my dad have it. My dads is really severe. I know it's not a side effect of wls but if my body is run down and I have a family history of it then I could develop it?

s-a-r-a-h

Going back on Christmas eve doing 50% of my hours 1st two weeks. Glad as I couldn't cope with 12.5 hour shifts just yet.

Paula Garner

I struggled tbh. I'm on non clinical for 2 weeks, and I had to come home early yesterday because I was so tired. I'm so happy to be back though :)

Lincs Lass

Derby has an 'agreement' with Lincolnshire PCT so anyone who lives in Lincolnshire and has an initial appointment has got funding automatically as long as the Derby team say you are ok for surgery.

But people living in other counties who are referred to Derby have other procedures but I don't know about them (I'm in Lincolnshire and at my 2nd appointment last week the dietician told me how it works in my PCT).