• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

REACTIVE HYPOGLYCAEMIA

toonerwife

hi all ive been told today that i have reactive hypoglycaemia any tips/advice would help

Sent from my iPhone using WLSurgery

Hi can I ask what that is and how you get diagnosed with it? How far into your surgery are you? X

Reactive hypoglycemia occurs in people who do not have diabetes. It's a different type of hypoglycemia than the one that affects people who have diabetes. Although the causes are unrelated, the symptoms of both kinds of hypoglycemia are the same.
Symptoms of hypoglycemia:

Trembling or weakness
Lack of coordination
Drowsiness or confusion
Headache
Dizziness
Double vision
Convulsions or unconsciousness
What is the cause of reactive hypoglycemia?

The exact cause of reactive hypoglycemia is still unknown, but there are several hypothesis that might explain why it can happen.
Sensitivity to epinephrine, a hormone that is released in the body during times of stress.
Insufficient glucagon production. Glucagon is also a hormone which has the opposite effect of insulin. It raises blood glucose levels.
Gastric surgeries can also cause reactive hypoglycemia because food may pass too quickly through the digestive system.
Enzyme deficiencies can also cause reactive hypoglycemia, but these are rare and occur during infancy.

Thank you for you answer!

So did you get some medicine to help with the symptoms? Or do you just have to learn to live with it?

Sorry i cant help you! Hope there will be someone who can give you some advice and tips. :)

i have to have loads of tests on friday but i think that i will have to learn to live with it and manage it

Toonerwife, Im really interested in this - I posted a topic in the Private section, regarding what sounds like this.

How did diagnosis come about please? May I ask if your Dr/GP thought it might be Epilepsy?

Im at the Drs tomorrow, and Id like to give her all the info I can...

Thanks!

the condition was diagnosed through the dietician at sunderland after i explain my episodes have to have blood tests on friday to verify it

Back