• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Reffered straight to surgeon.. what about funding??

pink bubbles

Hello everyone!
I have been avidly reading your posts & have become addicted to many of your stories, they have moved & inspired me so much I have plucked up the courage (I am very shy & nervous) to ask a question in the hope someone could help or advise me...

4 weeks ago my gp referred me to see a surgeon regarding a bypass or a band & as I still hadn't heard anything this morning (I know.. I'm far too impatient) I asked my husband to call in at the doctors surgery to try find out what was happening.
The receptionist looked at my records & said I had definately been referred the day after I had seen the gp and that it usually takes 6 weeks for the surgeon to contact me, which is 2 weeks away.

What is confusing me is does the surgeon apply for funding after he has seen me? & also a lot of people on here seem to have had great difficulty in trying to see a surgeon in the first place, they have had to attend weight management courses paid for by themselves & see psychiatrists/psychologists etc etc. I am 43, have clinical depression, Agoraphobia, Asthma & Ibs, my BMI is 40 & have been on xenical tablets.

I just wondered if any of you think it is good news that I am seeing a surgeon without any mention of the above?? (there's no way on earth I would be able to attend a weight management course & even if I physically or mentally could, it wouldn't do me any good as I have tried every diet/healthy eating plan under the sun from being a small child.
If anyone out there could help me it would be smashing!!
xx

Hi Pink Bubbles,

I'm sorry - I don't know the answer to your questions. I just wanted to say welcome to the forum :) Hopefully someone will be along shortly who can give you some advice.

I got my gastric band done last Saturday. I went privately because I didn't want to jump through all the hoops to get funding. It sounds like you would qualify in most areas for NHS funding because your BMI is 40 and you have associated problems.

When I first approached my GP about surgery, she went off and did some research and then came back to me and said that I met the PCT criteria in theory, and that she could refer me to the surgeon - like you have been. She also told me that the way it works in many places is that the surgeon might then require me to join a hospital-run weight loss scheme for a year to prove my determination to lose weight, and then apply to the PCT for funding after that. It all seemed like it would take too long for me so I decided to get on with it. I booked to see someone privately 2 weeks later and had the surgery 3 weeks after that.

Good luck as you start your journey... we are a friendly bunch here and will support you through it :)

Alice xx

Hi Pinkbubbles,
Hello and welcome to this very helpful site.
I am having a FTT in sept on the NHS. I saw the PS before getting my funding because my appt with the PS only took 2wks after my gp referred me also at the same time my GP applied for funding from the PCT.
I think it depends on whereabouts in the UK you live as most PCTs operate different systems for NHS surgery. I'm in Hull which meant that I had to be seen by PS and operated on (if i got funding) within 18wks of the GP referral which is great for me because it means I'll be having my op at week 16.

There are some ladies on here who have had gastric surgery on the NHS who should be along shortly:):):)

I hope you get a PS appt soon:):)
Take care
Katrina xxxx

Hi Pink, welcome to Mini's!

Each PCT is very different, so no idea what your process will be. In some areas it does seem to be the surgeon that applies for the funding so it could well be that for you. I'm sure he'll explain it all when you meet him anyway.

Shel

Hi Pink Bubbles,

Like you, I was initially told I had to attend a weight management course. I freaked out when I heard that, as I really have a problem coping with groups (phobia) and also my physical disability would mean it would be an utter nightmare for me to be able to attend. I wouldn't be able to get there on my own, so for each session, hubby would have to take time off work (he'd have to give up work as they would never let him have that time off). I contacted the weight management people who told me that the people who run the course are simply gym instructors with basic first aid training. Although they know a little about things like arthritis etc, they are not trained in the specific problems which I have, and are therefore not aware that some exercises which may benefit others, could be disasterous for me and cause more hassles than I started with. I contacted the surgeon at Charring Cross who agreed to see me without all that hassle, and also the PCT said I had a very good case to write in and have an appeal put before the decision making panel to get funding without having to attend the statutory WM course. Took a while, but I got it and am now just waiting for my GP to refer me to the hospital (which I need to chase up).

I'm sure if you put all your concerns in writing if they try and force you to go to the WM, and submit it to the PCT, then you may stand a chance.

My friend was referred straight to the same surgeon (she comes under a different PCT) and he sorted the funding. It's swings and roundabouts even within a few miles. Good luck and let us know how it goes.

Gerry
:)

Thank you all so much Alice, Katrina, Shel & Gerry! it is much appreciated! wow it does seem to massively differ area to area! I am gonna have to be patient aren't I ? :( :(
Congratulations on your very recent operations Alice & Shel! you are little stars coming on here & advising so soon after your ops! I hope you are both making good progress & feeling a bit better now? Just think Katrina & Gerry it will be you really soon! whoop whoop lol.
Thanks for letting me know that Gerry, if they do try to make me go to weight management I will have a fit & do the same as you! lol
Thank you so very much all of you!
xx

Welcome to Minis, its a great place to be and you will find soo much support. Good luck with your appointment, and dont forget to post to let us all know how you get on - tis just the beginning of a very exciting journey x

Back