• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Regrets

Karen_Ponte

I'm having a wobble. My surgery is one week today and I've binged on biscuits. The woman at my consultation said that as long as I do the pre-op diet for a week, I'll be ok so I'm not TOO worried:cry:

However, I'm wondering if any of you banders actually regret having a band done? It is a big thing and to be honest, some stories I've read have been a bit disappointing in that not much weight has been lost and people are still struggling with their diets. I wonder if I should just try again to lose the weight in a more traditional way. These thoughts are probably normal for a person one week away from their op but I've had so much negativity from my sister that I'm reconsidering my decision. She thinks I should save the money for my kids (I'm a single parent to 2 young kids) rather than spend it on myself.

Have any of you regretted your decision?

Invest in your health for your childrens sake!

hiya, ive had a bypass so cant answer your question about a band.. but there are lots of successfull banders here who will be able to answer your questions.
The answer to your sister though is... if this op is really what you want then ignore everybody else.... your not being selfish in anyway spending the money on you...
the options can be like this.... stay the way you are..spend the money on your kids... but your quality time could be shorter with them if your weight keeps going on.
the other option have the surgery and you will have a better life with your children which they will appreciate a lot more xx your sister is just worried about you... i had the same with my mum.
We are all here to support you xx
sorry couldnt answer your main question, im sure someone will come along soon xx

Hi Karen
I consider surgery one of the biggest decisions you ever have to make, so having a wobble is natural. Just because you have read that the weight loss is a bit disappointing does not mean its gonna be the same for you. I had many people tell me not to do it, and some who said it was cheating. Dont listen, you know why your doing this and you will make it successful for you. I think losing the weight slowly is much better, you can tone up along side it. So far its been the best decision ive ever made, i feel so much healthier and happier.
Your kids will benefit from a happy confident mum.
Really hope you dont change your mind
Kim x

Hi Karen, I had a different op - but the same wobbles! It is perfectly natural to be apprehensive, I felt guilty that I had not been able to control my weight successfully by myself - thought I should be able to try yet another diet.

I'm sure you have tried several times without resorting to surgery, so you know this gives you a better chance of success if you work with it.

Your sister should not be aiming negativity towards you, but it is probably just because she is worried. It's your money and your decision - and you are doing what you think is best for your children and yourself. I'm sure they would prefer a healthier, happier mum to new toys or a holiday - those things will fade a lot quicker than the new you.

I hope some banders come along for you soon x

Hi, Karen
I'm having my op (bypass) next week
and have just posted the same thing
about is it the right thing or not,
so looks like a normal wobble we got!! :) xx

Yes I regret it - only that I didnt have it done sooner :)

Dont let your sister blackmail you by saying spend it on the kids, thats terrible tbh. Your doing this so you can live a healthier life and be there for your kids. Your probably having a wobbly as you said, a million and one things going through your mind , its probably like a circus in there lol. Try not too worry it will all come right in the end . All the best - MeJulie xx

im having a bypass next saturday and feel the same too hun and i last night had something to eat when ive been on pre opp diet for 3 weeks i feel really bad today and have been thinking all day maybe i shouldnt have the opp but tonight i know im going the right thing i cant wait next saturday cant come fast enough for me x

Oh hun Im having my band next Saturday and I just KNOW that some people would consider me selfish as I have a baby, not my friends or boyfriend but i haven't told my boyfriends family as I know they'd want me to keep the money for my baby but as far as Im concerned it IS partly for her!
Im miserable this weight, confidence is at an all time low and Im no use at running around etc and she's crawling now so by the time she's a toddler I'll need to be able to keep up!
I also want to feel good in myself. I think it's an awful thing for your sister to say, could there be any jealousy there?

I do know what you mean about hearing disappointing stories tho, but the success rate is far higher than most other diet I've seen and researched. Have a look on YouTube, Im totally inspired by a woman called Skymoon1982, she's done amazingly well. There's so so many success stories, delve into them and become one!x x x

Thank you all so much for responding, I really appreciate it.

I actually left a voicemail and email for WLS group saying I want to cancel and they emailed me back saying they will sort it tomorrow. I'm a wreck! I was ok until this drama with my sister - she's not worried, she actually said that I'm selfish for spending the money on myself. I work full time and am a single parent so why shouldn't I spend it on me? I don't know what the hell she's playing at and I specifically told my mum not to tell anyone. I'm also pissed off with her now and wish I hadn't told a soul.

I'm going to email WLS Group back and say im going ahead with it. I'm such an idiot.

Thank you again for being so supportive.

Sent from my iPhone using WLSurgery

i bet they're used to getting these calls all the time :) it's hard work even after surgery but don't give in , try to remember what made you make the decision in the first place and stick to that xx hope you have good news for us tomorrow xx

Thank you all so much for responding, I really appreciate it.

I actually left a voicemail and email for WLS group saying I want to cancel and they emailed me back saying they will sort it tomorrow. I'm a wreck! I was ok until this drama with my sister - she's not worried, she actually said that I'm selfish for spending the money on myself. I work full time and am a single parent so why shouldn't I spend it on me? I don't know what the hell she's playing at and I specifically told my mum not to tell anyone. I'm also pissed off with her now and wish I hadn't told a soul.

I'm going to email WLS Group back and say im going ahead with it. I'm such an idiot.

Thank you again for being so supportive.

Karen
You must do what is best for YOU, being overweight is not the best thing for your kids despite whatyour sister advises you.
I too am a single parent and work full time and I opted to tell no one as I did not want to either explain or justify my actions and still feel this way. Being fat is one of the worst symptoms of unhappiness that I carry....

My kids do not want an overweight mum.
I dont want to be an overweight mum.
I want to be confident.
I want to look good.
I want to feel good.
I want to love life and stop hiding....

All the above would be things I would be saying Jan 2013 as I embarked on yet ANOTHER diet!

Whatever you decide I wish you luck andif its support you're looking for then there is no better place than here you will find it hun xxx

The only reason I told my parents was because I needed someone to look after my girls; there's no way I would've said anything otherwise.

I am going ahead, my weight and appearance is partly the cause of my depression and I need to sort it. My over eating is the worst it's ever been and I can't control it.

Thank you for being so supportive.

Mine was out of control too & I decided in Dec to book it and get it done - we all need a bt of support hun and there's support in abundance here xxxxxxxxxxxxx dnt frt alone just come online xx

Have you had your surgery nomoreyoyo? I'm posting from my phone so can't see your details.

I know I have to do it, I disgust myself with my eating and I can't carry on like this.

Back