• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Big regrets!!!!

mum21baba

Well, when I started my journey I was convinced that I wanted a Gastric Band. Non of my family were keen on the idea of any surgery as they thought I should be able to it of my own free will. They were also worried about the risks as I have a two year old daughter. I have also suffered with quite a severe mental illness (ongoing) and they were worried about the effect it would have on me if my comfort (food) was taken away, as I am a very emotional eater.
Anyway, the more I researched weight loss surgery I realised that my eating habits did not suit a band but that I thought a Gastric sleeve was the way to go. I don't eat particularly big meals and tend to graze on crappy foods throughout the day. I was all set for the sleeve and was sure that this is what I wanted but my family weren't having any of it. They had become used to me having a Gastric band but couldn't accept the sleeve. They thought that it was much to big a risk and hated the thought of me doing something permanently to my body that I might not cope with mentally.
I went to my first consultation with the surgeon with my partner and he asked what sort of surgery I would like. I mentioned that I would like the sleeve but that my family wanted me to have a band. I explained their reasoning behind this and also that I would like to have children in the future. He said that he thought the band was best for me and didn't really talk about the other possibilities. So I came away with the decision to have the band although I wasn't 100% about the decision.
So on the 20th Feb I had my surgery and had my Gastric Band fitted and I REGRET MY DECISION so much!!!! I really wish that I had stuck to my guns and gone with the sleeve. I am constantly hungry and have no restriction whatsoever. I've lost about 4lbs since the surgery and am feeling so down in the dumps. I feel like I have wasted my chance :(:(:(:(:(

Aawww! You may love it once you have had fills and reached your optimal restriction. Keep hope xxx

Wait for your fills and see how it goes, use any support group available I think this would really help you xx

oh hun its only early days... some of us get post op blues and regret our decisions for wls. once you start losing some weight you may start to realise you have made the right decision. Some people have gone onto have a sleeve/bypass at a later date if the band hasnt worked for them, or they have had it removed.
Ive had a bypass but dont know much about the band... but maybe it may be worth you giving your provider a call and speak to them about your restrictions xx

Oh gosh, don't have regrets, u have only been banded a few weeks! It's a bit of a slow process to begin with & i often felt like a failure but 6 months after op I am feeling good restriction after 5 fills & 3 & a half stone lighter. I know it's frustrating, but u must be patient & stay focused, ur time will come! xxx

From what I understand it takes time to see results with a band as you need to build up to the right restriction. I'm sure you'll have gr8 results with it but it will be harder if you don't feel positive about it! If the worst comes to the worst you could always go back at a later date to have the band removed and either a sleeve or bypass instead (from what you've said about your eating habits I would have thought a bypass would have been best). BUT in the meantime you need to focus on doing the best you can with the band. It might not be best option for you but once you get restriction you'll still lose weight - you might just surprise yourself hun x

i had a band fit in march 07 its slipped in july 2010 and i had it reposioned in jan 11 i lost 6 stone now i have put it back on i have lost holidays due to not been able to drink propley .it was either to slack or two tight i carnt wait to revert to bypass the band as been a nite mare for me
take care a little fill such as 0.5 makes a hell of a diffrence xx

Thank you everybody for your replies. I think I am going to re-join Slimming World again just to keep on track until I feel some sort of restriction. I really hope that the fills work for me. Sorry to be cheeky, but is your revision being done on the NHS or have you had to pay for it privately? x

Just focus on your intake and it will all come good but as others have said, it takes a few fills until you get to optimum restriction. I've watched what I've eaten from day 1 and never used the need for a fill as a reason for not having lost weight so it can be done. I've gone from a size 20 and now in 12/14 clothes since October....that's one massive reason for loving my band! Do you track your food? There's a few banders using my fitness pal app which helps us...come n join us if it helps BUT it's early days for you...small steps and you'll get there. I'm sure once the weight starts to come off you will love your band too xx

Hi mum21baba
Hi Rebecca Hun, sorry things have not gone to plan for you :-(
Maybe like the others have said once you get fills you may be a little more positive about things. It's still very early days yet for you and I suspect you're still on the post op diet like myself. Things will still be a little swollen inside for you perhaps or maybe you need to increase your fluid intake which really does kick at the weightloss. Please carry on with the support group at spire and take the opportunity to discuss your worries with the staff. I've found them very approachable and helpful. I'm sure things will begin to improve for you Hun. I too go through some post op blues too but remember what the talk was about when we went to the first spire support group... The staff are very aware of the emotional lows post surgery and will try offer as much support as possible.
Hope to see you at the next group Hun
Please keep your chin up x
Lesley

Big hugs to you - do you think you may feel like this regardless of which procedure you had been through? It sound to me that you are more disappointed with your weight loose really?
Have you not seen the "200kg kid" - it's a great programme as shows how his Kg's fall slowly to start and by the end of the programme he has lost 100kg!! It's a real inspiration.

Be patient and believe in your new tool!! Treat it as you would expect to be treated... As the others say you need to get to the right fill level for you.
xxxxxxxxxxx

I have to say first off that if you are not a volume eater then the band seems perfect for you.

Now if years of reading this sight has me right then you have nothing in your band right now, you are relying on willpower.

slimming world is a good way to go while you wait for that all important filling process to start.

There are some very successful banders on here, Mazza and justliz to name a couple. They would be a good resource for you to access initially.

In the meantime, don't be disheartened, in theory you may have had the operation but your equipment isn't tuned in yet. Keep to your slimming world or whichever healthy eating plan you follow. Most of all make the changes mentally that will empower you to do what your surgeon obviously thought you could.... Get out, get walking and most of all, don't listen to the doubters. You can do this and you will be successful xxx

Hello

I am a fellow bander - Its quite normal to not lose vast amounts of weight with the band, this is par for the course with banding and it does take some time to get the restriction right and start losing gradually.

I see from your stats that you was only banded 2 weeks ago, your such early on in the journey tbh and have a long way to go yet hun.

I know its hard but try not to get disheartened the band is a very good tool ( I have gone from 242lbs too ( size 24/26) 129 lbs (size 8-10) and still losing, I lost the majority of my weight in less then one year.

I did have to have my port repositioned because it flipped over and couldn't have no fills until this was corrected ( this doesn't happen to everyone but I was unlucky )I was banded in July 2010 with correction surgery done and first fill in the November and got to my own target of 10 stone by June of 2011 so it can be done and I have happily been maintaining ever since and have not needed another fill since Feb 2011 ( I have 5 mils in a 7 mil band) .

This banding malarky is a long journey and cant be rushed, take your time and let the tool do its work for you , you will find it easier once you have some restriction ( first fills usually done around 6 weeks) Wishing you all the best - MeJulie xxx

Back