• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Regurgitation

Hanako

Hi,
I am really sorry for being disgusting, but I have a question about an issue I am worried about. I think I read in the leaflet provided that after having the band, I may have some regurgitation of food if I eat something that does not go with me, or if I eat too much or too fast. How frequently does this happen? Although I am really determined to eat right, sometimes you don't know in advance that some particular food will not work for you, and I would find it extremely embarrassing if this happened to me at work and maybe even repeatedly. Well, even once would be once too many. I honestly can't afford to have that at work. I can't really not eat while I am at work because I am there 9am - 5pm, so that's too long to be without food. So if anyone who has band can advise me how often this happen and what can be done to ensure that it does not happen, I would really appreciate it. Thank you.

I think its difficult to know when it is going to happen, because it can change from one day to the next about what food it may be. Its happened to me 3 times. once when I ate chicken (but I'd eaten it everyday before that time), once when I ate celery which had been fine when I had it the day before, and another time with a slice of ham, something again that Im ok with, it really is often just a case of eating too quickly I have found.

one thing I have found is that I can tell pretty quickly so that I can stop eating and I find that you get an awful lot of "bile/phlegmy" yucky type stuff which will start to rise before it gets worse.

So in just over 7 weeks I've had it a total of 3 times but each time with different foods and foods that I've been ok with before and since. It does make it difficult to prepare with what you can or cannot eat when it is like this, but you do get to learn the warning signs.

It's all about eating slowly, chewing to death and taking small bites. There isn't one good food that hits all so will be a case of just seeing. For example I stupidly tried a strawberry after my op and it had to be popped back out....my mind was busy on work things and I'd barely chewed it (old habits). Big wake up call that was. Worse case scenario until you know what's good for you take pots of custard or similar?!

Thank you for your response. So top_kat, it happened to you three times within about seven weeks since you had the band done. That's on average once every other week! What am I going to do at work! I think I may have to be going in lunchtime for a walk to park and hide somewhere away from people... Do you have time to run to the toilet? (That's great, I am going to look like if I suffer from eating disorder!)

What's your strategy at work?

I didn't have any fill in my band post op, and I didn't encounter this until I had my first fill at 5 weeks, so it is in the last 3 weeks that I've encountered it and initially when i went onto normal foods having had the fill. It takes a while to get used to what restriction is going to be like (I didnt have any until I had my fill so could eat anything without problem)

You do have time to go to the toilet, or at least I have. With regards to work, I dont really eat at work to be honest. I will have some fruit possibly grapes within my first hour of being at work and then I have a yoghurt at lunchtime, I also have NAS jellies at work too. But, I don't get a lunch break so tend to work straight through so don't really eat until I get home. If I am more hungry tho at work, I do take things that I know Im ok with. I also keep tins of soup at work, which although I don't like soup, sometimes its ok.

But, it really is slowing down the eating and you do become more aware of how things feel, or at least I have found so. Now Im armed with the timer my provider gave me, I have found it much better, although I've just had a second fill of a further 1ml so will be going back onto mushy tomorrow, but, Im also more focussed on a drier and crunchier diet and know that it will be up and down while I find what I can or cannot eat :)

There is no way I could spend my nearly whole day without food. I can't be without food till 5pm. So I will have to eat something.

The soups are a good idea! Thank you for that. And yoghurt, and porridge (they even sell porridge at work, so I could be ok). Do you find that soft food (like when you were at liquid stage and at mashed stage) doesn't come back up, or is it only because you didn't have fill that it didn't used to come up? Are there any food that is (relatively) safer to eat? I really don't want any accidents.

For me it has just been down to the speed of eating and not chewing enough . . .and also with the celery because its not the easiest things to digest.

The porridge is a good thing to have at work, soups or even when you find at home you're ok with certain foods you could move over to them. Am sure some of the banders who've had it for a long while will give you some suggestions, I actually feel more restriction in the mornings plus Im not a breakfast eater so actually struggle to eat much before 12-1pm.

I havent had a problem with soft or mashed food, I haven't had any difficulty with things such as melba toasts or ryvitas, grapes or apples, it has been chicken breast, sliced ham and celery . . .

I did find quite early on that I was ok with muesli and would take a portion of it to work, have it with the yoghurt and some soft fruit, but you will soon hopefully find the food thats ok for you to have. :)

Hi Hanako,
I'm happy to say I haven't suffered with any regurgitation! I've eaten chicken, pork ribs, fillet steak, bread, rice........
I do make an effort to chew everything VERY well and try to eat slowly, which I didn't do before!
I may be one of the lucky ones, I have a 10ml band with 3.7 ml put in at surgery and 1.2 at my first fill. I definately have restriction, cant eat as much as I used to, which I love, but hoping my next fill will make a bigger difference.
I too tend to feel more restriction in the morning...strange!
Loving my band, just have to get my butt back to the gym!
Hope this helps you, just do as advised, take it slowly and you'll be fine, we are all different!
Good luck on your journey.
xx

You work with it properly and you shouldn't regurgitate therefore going into thinking this way really is over exaggerated thoughts! we all work and cope fine but stressing over what may happen will only tighten the band. You learn to spot when you're rushing etc to slow it down so please relax! Once you're there only then will you understand how it feels x

When I eat something that isn't going to be something that I can eat like toast, it just hurts like hell in my stomach, laying in bed groaning for some time pain :(

If I eat something too quickly like I did today (ryveta & dairylea) then it's really uncomfortable in my chest and I have a few minutes to get to a more suitable place as it's coming back up :9529:

Hanako said:
Thank you for your response. So top_kat, it happened to you three times within about seven weeks since you had the band done. That's on average once every other week! What am I going to do at work! I think I may have to be going in lunchtime for a walk to park and hide somewhere away from people... Do you have time to run to the toilet? (That's great, I am going to look like if I suffer from eating disorder!)

What's your strategy at work?

Hi, ther,I've been told to carry a little baby tub with a lid,,,,if it happens just discreetly into the tub, put the lid on,,,,,,deal with later,when you can. The tubs fit in the palm of the hand so it looks like your haveing a drink,,,,,,,this may be a choice for you...good luck rubyred15 xxxxxxxxxx

You work with it properly and you shouldn't regurgitate therefore going into thinking this way really is over exaggerated thoughts! we all work and cope fine but stressing over what may happen will only tighten the band. You learn to spot when you're rushing etc to slow it down so please relax! Once you're there only then will you understand how it feels x

JO28172, I haven't had the band done yet, so maybe I am worrying unnecessarily. It is probably about being worried of the unknown. At my work everyone is so professional, that being sick is just not an option. I would be mortified.

Hi, ther,I've been told to carry a little baby tub with a lid,,,,if it happens just discreetly into the tub, put the lid on,,,,,,deal with later,when you can. The tubs fit in the palm of the hand so it looks like your haveing a drink,,,,,,,this may be a choice for you...good luck rubyred15 xxxxxxxxxx

You know, it sounds like a good idea, at least at the beginning, when I don't know what to expect. Maybe after a month I find out that it is not necessary to have it with me, but if it gives me piece of mind, it must be worth it.

Hanako said:
JO28172, I haven't had the band done yet, so maybe I am worrying unnecessarily. It is probably about being worried of the unknown. At my work everyone is so professional, that being sick is just not an option. I would be mortified.

which is why I'm trying to say its a once in a blue moon occurrence if you go by the book. Try being a trainer, having full a classroom in front of you all day....! You soon learn how to cope, you'll be fine if you relax!!

Maybe celery isn't a good idea? My surgeon told me not to eat it at all when you have a band because it's too fibrous to digest, I wasn't too bothered as I can't stand it but was upset bananas are on the banned list for me! I'm not looking forward to finding out the hard way which foods I can eat. Will be taking it slow and steady.

My provider hasn't told me that I am not able to eat celery, in fact, there's very little on the "no-no" list that they have given to me and have said that a lot will depend on each individual and finding what works for them. It does for me most days, one day it didn't. But I have been and will continue to work with what they have told me :)

Try not to worry about it. It hasn't happened to me and I'm over 3 1/2 years out.

There wasn't many banders on here at first but the things I did learn from them before I had my band were:

1) Worrying can make the band tighter - so if you are in a situation where you feel nervous, eat something 'safe'.
2) You have to eat slow, really, really, really slow.
3) You have to chew, chew, chew and chew.

Follow the advice from your provider post op and if it happens it happens xx

It's only happened four times to me over 4 months and each time was my own fault. I don't chew enough and rush through meals. I get the painful stick feeling a lot and sometimes it has to come out. You do get plenty of warning to get to a toilet though.

I had my band 28th August and have not been sick once yet.

Just stick with the rules your providor gives you, I find if I eat a bit quick i burp for the full day! Not nice.

I am still sitting with my watch next to me timing my 20 minutes, chewing 20 times at least and at least 20 seconds between mouthfuls.

It does work.

I think when you move onto crunchier foods you should try and stick with them. If you are at work and eating yogurts, porridge, soups etc you can eat more, that is why they tell us to move onto crunchy.

I was having a yogurt as a snack on an afternoon and my dietician advised a cereal bar or fruit. The more you chew the better.

By the way I am no expert on this relatively new, but just listen to the advice given and you will be fine.

I work full time as well and spend a lot of time with patients so a lot of us are in the same boat.

Good luck x x

Back