• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Gastric Band question

Fashionably Late

is a skinny size XS & 6!
My husband just asked me a question regarding gastric bands that I could not answer. He is trying to understand everything before we meet with the surgeon to decide between a band or bypass.

My husband is concerned what would happen with the band and the need for fills/monitoring if we moved back to the States (I am American and he is the Brit) or if his work transfers us again (Oz has been mentioned a few times). How would something like this be handled?

Also, how is it determined if a band or bypass is better for me?

i suppose you just find a private fill providor where ever your location is as banding is popular all over the world.

to determine which op is best for you all depends on your lifesyle/eating habbits, if your a volume eater and also love sweet foods like cakes ect then a bypass will be better for you, i chose a band because i was a huge portion meal eater rather than a sweet tooth/snacker person between meals.

liz x

Hi Fashinably Late
A lot of Americans have Gastric Surgery so I shouldn't think it would be a problem..not sure about Oz. I would imagine you would have to find an aftercare provider when or if you move wherever that might be.
If it is Oz there is a way of claiming of the NHS it is through a company called medicare, we looked into it very breifly about 6 months ago as we was thinking of emigrating there and have a daughter who is being tested to see if she has MS...look in to it on Internet.

As for the type of surgery it is dependant on your eating habbits for e.g if you are a quantity eater and do not eat lots of sweet things the band may be what your Surgeon recommends...if you are a grazer(eat all day) and have a sweet tooth they may recommend a bypass.

Good luck xx

Thanks Liz. You are turning out to be my saviour! I am definitely a snacker and have a massive sweet tooth.

Hi there, I'm sure you won't have any problems getting your fills in another country it will just be that you have to research the best hospital/clinic for you. As for the best option, this is a decision you can't make lightly. Research both options because you need to know which would suit you best. I'm a bander and I chose the band because I'm a volume eater and needed the band to control my portion sizes. I'm sure an experienced bander will give you some great advice on the band and an experienced bypasser will advise you on the bypass. Good luck with whatever you decide but you must be truthfull about your eating habits and speak to your surgeon about them too as he will help you make the correct decision.

Thanks Liz. You are turning out to be my saviour! I am definitely a snacker and have a massive sweet tooth.

a band is not suited to people that snack or likes sweet foods such as choc or cakes ect as the band will not stop you eating these foods and extreme will power is needed by banders to stay away from these food types, the banders that dont wont lose weight and can even gain as alot tend to turn to the sweet food when they cant eat a larger portion of a proper meal and thats where big mistakes are made, all i can suggest is do lots of research on both proceedures and be truely honest with your surgeon about your eating habbits and you will know in your heart whats the correct proceedure for your own needs x

liz x

I am so thrilled to have found you all. I would be lost without each of you. I will be 100% truthful with my surgeon and hope for the best. I just want to be there for my 3 year old twins and my 11 year old.

I am so thrilled to have found you all. I would be lost without each of you. I will be 100% truthful with my surgeon and hope for the best. I just want to be there for my 3 year old twins and my 11 year old.

bear in mind that if you choose a by pass then you wont have to worry about fills ect once the ops dont its done thats it, personally i think a bypass is more suited to you but please bear in mind that none of us including me are qualified professionals and only advise from patient experience x

what is your current BMI if thats ok to ask ? i respect your decision not to answer if you choose not to.

lizz x

No problem. My BMI is 42.6 as of this morning.

my bmi the day of my band op was 43 x

Back