• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Relationships

OkieGirl

I know that I'm jumping the gun a bit here considering that I've not even had my first consultation, but I've been trawling the internet looking up as much info as I can and stumbled across the lovely statistic that the divorce rate amongst couples where one partner has had wls is about 80%-85% two years post surgery. So is this just one of those horrible factoids that has been blown up out of all proportion?

I told my husband this, but he seems to think that me losing a huge amount of weight won't have a big impact on our relationship, but how could it not? I'm terrified that while I'm hoping he'll find me attractive after the surgery, the loose skin will completely put him off. He's already admitted that he'll have an issue with the skin, which, as you can imagine, has made me feel more than a little worried and panicky in light of that stupid figure above. Grrr...

I'm curious about how others on here have had their relationships with spouses, family and friends have changed since their surgeries and any advice to prepare them for the eventual changes?

Alot of people say weight loss can affect relationships but at the end of the day, if u love the person for them - then there is nothing to worry about.

Might sound silly but some men love big women (and that is fine) not sure if this is the case for ur husband?

Also, some woman are unhappy in their relationships and when they lose weight they have the confidence to move on and end it.

With me and my OH he likes curvy/slim women ..when i met him i was slim but gained 7 stone since. My weight gain was hard for both of us to deal with but we have got through it... i have put him through alot and he has supported me throughout (including surgery)..every relationship has their ups and downs but u have to remember why u love them and work on any issues that may arise.

I do think that both partners need to agree on weight loss or there might be a few challenges ahead. Of my OH gained 7 stone not sure how I would feel so of ur OH lifes u big, if u lose 7st how will that make him feel (if u know what i mean) lol x

Although our sex life has always been amazing (sorry of tmi) - we both want me to lose weight, so I feel better about myself.

Is ur OH happy about the surgery?

Xxxxx :hugs:

Btw - dont be to hard on urself...focus on weight loss as this will benefit ur health so much - skin is skin, u can sort that at a later date (if it does become an issue) xxx

Ooooh and one last thing, if ur "friends" or family dont like ur weight loss then its coz theor jealous! My family have been amazing and so have my friends. Just the odd person who goes "why? Wht dont u just diet?? Pfft seriously??? Go away!!!

People who actually care, understand my weight gain has a massive impact on me and know i have struggled for so long and that i am tieddddd of dieting - hense WLS xx

There is a lot of change that happens when you go through surgery other than just the physical changes - a lot of psychological changes too and practical changes.

Confidence changes, what you like/want to do may change - you might want to be more active and do things you haven't been able to do, this could be difficult for a partner if they are happy with how things are now - they might not want to be more active so that might mean you going out without them or changing how you spend your time. They might worry you are not going to want to be with them, or worry that others might find you more attractive.

Your social life might change - if you currently go out a lot for meals or drink a lot you might not want to do this so much after surgery, your priorities might change and sometimes it isn't much fun looking at people eating 3 courses whilst you push a small portion around a plate at the same time as dealing with people's comments or worrying about having to explain to a waiter why you have only eaten a minute amount, or why you want to see the childrens menu. Add to that explaining why you can no longer drink the same or eat sugar/ have dessert and it can make going out stressful.

There might be friction over shopping - your wardrobe will change/be replaced multiple times and even buying cheap that can add up - new underwear, work clothes, gym clothes, jeans, going out clothes, summer clothes, coats, and even shoes as your feet shrink width wise! You will also feel better about yourself and even start to enjoy shopping so it can become addictive! Shopping can lead to friction!

Also transfer addiction is real - no longer on food it could transfer to shopping or alcohol or exercise as we use alternative methods to control our emotions.

I think the important thing is to be open and honest with your partner......... do they understand how your weight makes you feel? Really? The whole truth? Do they understand what you hope to achieve after surgery? Do they know info like above re. Changes that you both may need to make to fit your lives around WLS and how you need things to be to be successful?

If they understand the impact WLS is going to have on both your lives before you go through it then hopefully they will be prepared enough to support you as needed. And you will need their support and understanding.

The important thing is to be true to yourself and to do the right thing for you, hopefully your partner will support you through it all as well!

Good luck!

There is a lot of change that happens when you go through surgery other than just the physical changes - a lot of psychological changes too and practical changes.

Confidence changes, what you like/want to do may change - you might want to be more active and do things you haven't been able to do, this could be difficult for a partner if they are happy with how things are now - they might not want to be more active so that might mean you going out without them or changing how you spend your time. They might worry you are not going to want to be with them, or worry that others might find you more attractive.

Your social life might change - if you currently go out a lot for meals or drink a lot you might not want to do this so much after surgery, your priorities might change and sometimes it isn't much fun looking at people eating 3 courses whilst you push a small portion around a plate at the same time as dealing with people's comments or worrying about having to explain to a waiter why you have only eaten a minute amount, or why you want to see the childrens menu. Add to that explaining why you can no longer drink the same or eat sugar/ have dessert and it can make going out stressful.

There might be friction over shopping - your wardrobe will change/be replaced multiple times and even buying cheap that can add up - new underwear, work clothes, gym clothes, jeans, going out clothes, summer clothes, coats, and even shoes as your feet shrink width wise! You will also feel better about yourself and even start to enjoy shopping so it can become addictive! Shopping can lead to friction!

Also transfer addiction is real - no longer on food it could transfer to shopping or alcohol or exercise as we use alternative methods to control our emotions.

I think the important thing is to be open and honest with your partner......... do they understand how your weight makes you feel? Really? The whole truth? Do they understand what you hope to achieve after surgery? Do they know info like above re. Changes that you both may need to make to fit your lives around WLS and how you need things to be to be successful?

If they understand the impact WLS is going to have on both your lives before you go through it then hopefully they will be prepared enough to support you as needed. And you will need their support and understanding.

The important thing is to be true to yourself and to do the right thing for you, hopefully your partner will support you through it all as well!

Good luck!

Well said @Hannah2 :worthy:... xxxx

Yep I can't really add much to @Hannah2 's post.
I was about 8 stone when I met my husband and dipped under that but it's because I was restricting and purging. In nearly 20 years he's seen me at every weight plus nearly die a couple of times, bald with staples holding my skull together and pretty much as unsexy as you can get. He doesn't care, he loves me and has always told me how sexy I am even when it's caused an argument :)
Only you know the realities of your relationship and how you both respond to changes. Be honest and open, listen to what your partner has to say and be listened to in return x

Btw - dont be to hard on urself...focus on weight loss as this will benefit ur health so much - skin is skin, u can sort that at a later date (if it does become an issue) xxx

I do count myself so very fortunate as I know there are so many people out there my size who are practically house and/or bed bound. I'm still able to get around pretty well, I don't really suffer from any aches and pains, apart from my right knee when I stand too long. I'm not diabetic... yet. The only real co-morbidity I have is high blood pressure. Having said all this, I know that my mental health and all that is associated with it has suffered from my weight. People would be hard pressed to tell it, but I have practically no self-esteem and my inner dialogue with myself is pretty horrible at times. I feel a bit paranoid when out and about as well. But you're completely right. I need to take it one step at a time.

Ooooh and one last thing, if ur "friends" or family dont like ur weight loss then its coz theor jealous! My family have been amazing and so have my friends. Just the odd person who goes "why? Wht dont u just diet?? Pfft seriously??? Go away!!!

People who actually care, understand my weight gain has a massive impact on me and know i have struggled for so long and that i am tieddddd of dieting - hense WLS xx

I haven't told too many people yet, but I've had some very interesting reactions. My oldest is somewhat indifferent at this point, one of my twins is pleased about it in that shoulder-shrugging 13 year old boy way, and the other twin is absolutely ecstatic but he's my little hypochondriac and is hyper aware of health issues!

My husband was as surprised as me when I was referred, but I think he's pleased overall. We have talked some about what this could mean for us, but so far largely only the positives (travelling will be easier, we can go to see plays and musicals because I'll be able to fit in the seats - side note - the seats at Drury Lane Theatre are minuscule for anyone who isn't an anorexic midget! :eek:) but we will need to discuss the other side of the coin. I think he's reluctant to talk about it too much at this point because, well, I've only gotten as far as being referred. He's a practical sort, he likes hard facts. He finds hashing over maybes frustrating.

I've had two people apologise when I've told them that I was referred and also discovered that my weight is a bigger issue with one of them than I ever thought possible. Another person actually cheered and gave me a massive hug. My mom cried tears of joy and I cried with her. My sister isn't pleased, not so much because she doesn't want to see me lose the weight and be healthy, but I think she's worried about the procedure and what might go wrong. She's such a cheery, positive person! :rolleyes: My mother in law is kind of in the same boat as my sister with a healthy pinch of, "you don't need surgery, you can diet and exercise and..." blaaaaah. So, yes, I will need to learn to deal with other people's crap as well as my own during this!

Good luck!

Hannah, thank you so much for your reply! There's a lot there to consider and remember for the future. At the very least, my mom has already promised to take me on a shopping spree at some point! In some ways I'm very fortunate because my husband and I met on the internet back in 1998, our relationship was founded on talking which is something we still do to this day. I'm hoping that this will help us get through what could be some difficult changes.

Back