• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

restaurant children's meals

slimbydecember

Every time I go out for a bite to eat I always know I'm never going to be able to manage a adult portion. But in a lot of restaurants they don't give you the children's menu unless there's a child in your party. For example, the harvester.

Does anyone ever ask to see or order off the children's menu and has anyone ever been refused a children's meal?

Sometimes I feel a bit cheap doing it.

I ordered a child's Sunday lunch at Wacky Warehouse today, and they never batted an eyelid! I did feel rather strange doing it though, and agree that you do feel cheap.

There are certain places that actually says an age range for children's portions and I don't bother with buffet style places anymore either.

I ate at beefeater today. Checked before I sat down with the rest of our party if they would serve me a child's roast dinner which should be for under twelves. No problem they said :) our chef and brewer pub do too. Otherwise I order a protein based starter such as chicken skewers and a side of vegetables.

I have never had a problem with ordering a child's plate either.

It's very much up to the establishment as far as I'm concerned. They are a business at the end of the day and if they don't want to sell adults kid's meals I really have no problem with that. Why should I be able to dictate how a business operates just because I lacked self control and had to resort to having surgery to stop me eating like a pig?

We have the ultimate sanction and if you want to order kid's meals and they don't want to sell you one, go eat elsewhere it's your choice. It's the quality and choice of the food that's important to me these days so I'll happily pay full whack for a great meal and just leave what I can't eat, or take it home, I wouldn't order from the limited kids menu just to save a couple of quid. I'm an adult taking an adults seat in a restaurant they have to pay full price to keep open so I'm happy to pay for good service.

Karlos said:
It's very much up to the establishment as far as I'm concerned. They are a business at the end of the day and if they don't want to sell adults kid's meals I really have no problem with that. Why should I be able to dictate how a business operates just because I lacked self control and had to resort to having surgery to stop me eating like a pig?

We have the ultimate sanction and if you want to order kid's meals and they don't want to sell you one, go eat elsewhere it's your choice. It's the quality and choice of the food that's important to me these days so I'll happily pay full whack for a great meal and just leave what I can't eat, or take it home, I wouldn't order from the limited kids menu just to save a couple of quid. I'm an adult taking an adults seat in a restaurant they have to pay full price to keep open so I'm happy to pay for good service.

To be honest it's rare I order a kids meal anyway. Usually there is something on the menu that if I can't finish I take the remaining home for lunch the next day or for the fox in my garden.

I agree with karlos re business is business and its the company's choice as to whether or not they choose to serve us over 12's :sigh: with a kiddie portion. I would never take offence if they said no. I tend to ask for a child's meal only when I know the adult portions are so big I would be throwing two thirds of the meal away. I just think its wasteful, and I would definitely carry a little tub so I could eat up all the protein later if I couldn't face it all during my meal. To be honest I find it far more pleasurable nowadays going out for a really special (tiny portioned) meal, even if I pay far more for it ... Because the focus tends to be on quality and intense flavour rather than volume ... Win win ... Apart from in my hubby's pocket :rolleyes:

flutterby1966 said:
I agree with karlos re business is business and its the company's choice as to whether or not they choose to serve us over 12's :sigh: with a kiddie portion. I would never take offence if they said no. I tend to ask for a child's meal only when I know the adult portions are so big I would be throwing two thirds of the meal away. I just think its wasteful, and I would definitely carry a little tub so I could eat up all the protein later if I couldn't face it all during my meal. To be honest I find it far more pleasurable nowadays going out for a really special (tiny portioned) meal, even if I pay far more for it ... Because the focus tends to be on quality and intense flavour rather than volume ... Win win ... Apart from in my hubby's pocket :rolleyes:

I'm with you there Michelle, a good bit of fine dining...the sort we used to avoid before as you didn't get a plateful! But it really is all about the quality of taste now :)

I love pizza express too where they serve coffee with a teeny morsel of a desert. Scrumptious...I can have my cake and eat the whole of it :D

Back