• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Day 1 of pre op diet.

Jennifer Murphy

Hello everyone! I'm a married mum of 3 and I'm 40 years old. I've struggled with my weight ever since having my first child. I've been anything between 16 stone to 23 stone. I decided a few months ago that I was Fed up of always dieting! Slimming world, weight watchers... Etc. Tried them all. It goes then it comes right back. This is why I have now decided to have a gastric band. I feel that this will be a good tool to lose weight and keep it off. I'm starting a milkshake diet for breakfast and lunch and very low fat meal for tea , today and have my operation on the 10th September... Very nervous at the moment. I have my brothers wedding on the 4 th September and will have a set menu to eat so I'm dreading that too. If anyone can give me any advise , I would be eternally greatful . Thank you in advance. X

Hello and welcome and good luck with the LRD and operation :)
I'll be honest, I struggled with a wedding meal 13 weeks after my sleeve op. That was more because it's taking me a while to not feel self conscious about leaving most of a plate of food untouched not because I want to eat it all. I'd suggest planning ahead for the wedding. I had some of my melon starter, a few mouthful of the main and left my dessert untouched which was fine. If you're not telling everyone about the op just say you're not feeling well if they ask why you're not eating much perhaps? Most people don't actually pay that much attention I found anyway, it's a much bigger deal to us because we're so focused on what we can or can't eat :) When the serving staff kept asking if everything was alright I just smiled and said yes :)
Anyway there's lots of successful banders around and many diaries to read and questions that have been answered. Most of us have experienced the LRD regardless of the op we've had so when/if you need to vent about that feel free x

Hello and welcome!
By the time your brother's wedding rocks up your 3/4 of the way into your LSD could you maybe swap one of your shakes for the meal and have the shake later? Plus I think everyone will be so busy toasting the happy couple to see what your eating / drinking so if you only have a starter ie soup then that should be OK and like I say with all the hard work put in so far at this point I'm very sure your not going to break it now see it as a test for when your post op learning to say no

Very good luck! X

Thank you. I will probably be ok. I have told my nearest and dearest about the operation and I'm photographer for the day too so I can get out of eating that way I reckon?. I'm looking forward to getting some great advice. X

Hi Jennifer and welcome !
I am a Bander since April and I'm loving it .. You may find by the time this wedding comes , you will probably have no interest in food as such .. You'll be in that , ' honeymoon stage ' that comes with any diet after a week or so , when you feel you can conquer the world .. The LSD is wonderful for this as it clears out all carbs and the ketones that make you want sweet stuff .. Fully embrace this .. Off the meal plates choose the proteins only , leave anything else , I would even ask my partner to give me their proteins in a swap for what ever is else in my plate ? As for dessert , take a small sealed box in your bag with chopped up fruit that you can grab and pop in your mouth ? If there is to be a cloakroom then you could leave yourself something in there out of sight ?
That's how I would cope with a family event like that .. Come up with some ingenious ways of making it through the day without thinking about food all day ..

Lots of luck
Xxxx

Back