• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

risks in conversions

Maphillips

hi just was wondering about what my surgeon said the other day
he says the risks of changing from a band to a by pass is a lot higher 3/100 were its normally 1/100
he wanted me to know the risks but i do feel it is worth it just wondered what others think
but that is if i ever get funding for it
but my surgeon did say he was happy to do the surgery
thanks mark :wave_cry:

I am no expert at all. But I have seen people on here who have switched from a band to a bypass and they are still here and doing very well :)

The risks will increase just because you're having two procedures instead of just one. Each operation is another risk, they have to remove your band before they can carry out the bypass and the longer you're under the knife the higher the risks. It might also be something to do with the shape of your stomach as a result of having had the band in place. If you have any concerns you really should ask your team they will ease your mind. Check with Liz here she's had a revision because her second band failed and she was great.

You say they are happy to proceed so they will have assessed the risks and believe they are acceptable, I'm sure you'll be fine.

there are a few people on here who have had a band then gone on to a bypass and they are just fine hun xxx

Raynebubble said:
there are a few people on here who have had a band then gone on to a bypass and they are just fine hun xxx

Thanks I feel it's for the best just fighting for funding now

Is it still a laparoscopic procedure? If not then that is where the extra risk may come in.

hi Mark, my revision to bypass was cencelled on thursday. otherwise i could have confirmed for you 1st hand!!! i had a band in 2006 removed 2010 and regained 6 of the 7 stone i lost, of course i thought i would never regain. hopefully my op will be in the next 2 weeks so i will confirm then!! However my surgeon says there may be adhesions which will ostruct there view and or access, but if he deems it unsafe, or risky at all i will have a sleeve. as Karlos says, the more abdominal ops you have the more the risk, but look at the risks if you dont take the chance? i for one think its worth it but 3/100 ??? i think just to say it is a litlle riskier will suffice, i think its numbers that scare us. there must be 100's of bypasses performed each year, and the horror stories are few and far between. i hope you get your funding soon........ by the way, check your BMI! i think your hieght might be wrong

Hi Mark,

I have just had a band revised to a bypass.

I was given all of the possible ops that they would undertake once they can see if the band had caused any damage.

I was they could, just remove the band, insert a ballon, a sleeve or the bypass.

Luckily for me all was ok so had the full revision.

Good luck with the funding

Thanks for that it's put me more at ease I see my go on Friday and going to ask him to help by referring me to rio( weight management but sending them a letter saying I did it years ago he also will have my surgeons letter
Will be contacting patient liaison team again on Thursday it's then been a week since I last contacted them
Thanks so much for your support
Mark

Back