• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

had my pre op assessment today

Jane

and a bit disappointed to be honest.

We were there for over four hours, and all was going ok till I saw the anaethetist. He was not happy to proceed because of my respiratory problems. He wants me to get and use a cpap mask (still waiting to see if funding will be agreed for the mask) for six weeks and lose as much weight as I can, then I can ring for a date.

The other thing is, and I must reiterate, this only applies to my pct (Southampton), - they have just been notified by the pct that all funding has been stopped and no ops are allowed to go ahead before the beginning of the next financial year as they have run out of money! So they are going to be probably having to cancel some.

This obviously means that they can hopefully start booking in again for early April, although knowing the pct they could change the goal posts again.

Surgeon has suggested full bypass which I did not really want, but he has explained his reasons and I am happy to accept.

The upsetting thing was that I saw surgeon last and he said to me, let's go next door and get you booked in. Obviously had not read the notes!

I now have to rely on them and my GP to chase the respiratory consultant to get my funding agreed for cpap mask (waiting months already!) and then wait for appt to get it fitted and use for six weeks.

Ok moan over. On the positive side I would not want the high risks he quoted me (1 in 80 chance of not making it and much higher for serious complications), so am ok about waiting. Will aim to lose some weight too as this will all make it safer.

Hi Jane, I'd been wondering how you were getting on... lots of negative plus positives in your feedback.

The over arching message I always say is that best to be safe rather than sorry and I'm really rooting for you.

Wishing you all the very best with your weightloss and the very best of everything as always.

Love and hugs, Bev xxx

Sorry you are disappointed but like you say those odds are unacceptable...you are much better waiting even though its upsetting. Keep your chin up you will get there XX

Now I have settled down a bit, I am seeing it as more positive. I can lose weight and really help myself get through the op.

I am going to ring the respiratory secretary on Monday and see what is going on and if necessary I will pay for the cpap mask myself. So hopefully looking at April/May time for op. Still time to get to a decent size for the summer.

Glad you sound more positive!Maz x

Back