• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

saggy skin post op

justlou

I am due to have my gastric bypass next Thursday,and am very pleased about it.I am currently 5ft5 tall,and am 23 stone.I have a big saggy tunny,and an awful lot of 'flab' around my middle.What I want to know is this.Will my skin sort of 'shrink' with my weight loss,or will I be left with loose folds? Any answers appreciated,thanks!

Hiya justlou welcome to minis not sure about the skin but be great to know myself just how some post bypassers are going on with it x

Hi and welcome to MM, i am still early days in my journey and have not had op yet, but as i weigh a little over you and ur body seems a lot like mine lots round the belly.
it all depends on ur age, how good ur skin is and i would say that if ur aiming to get to between 10/11 stone then its 12/13 stone weight loss and tbh i really think there is no way you can avoid having a large apron and needing a tummy tuck.
The rest of your body you should be able to tone up whilst losing the weight, like ur arms and thighs but all the excess skin that has stretched on our tummy`s would more than likely to have to have removed.
Soz if this is not the news you wanted to hear but unfortunatley it is a reality when someone like me and you have lots of weight to lose.
Another thing with bypass patients is that we will lose weight so fast and that 2 i believe makes the excess skin on our tummy`s a problem.
When i lost weight and went from 27 stone to 21 stone i did not have any lose skin as i was still very fat but then i gained it all back on and repeated the process so many times that i was not doing my skin any favours at all.
Am sure some of the experienced bypass peeps will soon be around to offer you some advice.
Good luck with your surgery and hope u have a speedy recovery take care xx

I went to my doctors and i asked her about this and like yourself Roch she says its all down to genes and the elasticity of your skin and your age, she said as soon as you can to do light exercise and to go swimming as this is a all over cardiovascular exercise and will tone you all over, I did ask her if after doing that there was still excess skin then what, she said you can apply for a tummy tuck. This is what my doctor said to me Justlou but it might not happen to everyone, i am thinking of investing in some Gok pants just incase lol.

Allthe very best for your surgery and a very speedy recovery :) X

Loose skin is a down side of bypass and banding, and some people have more of it than others, but lots of the people on here say it is still preferable to all the fat they had in its place.
I think it was shelley who said that it was nothing that a good pair of panty or body suit wouldnt cure lol. However lots of people have tummy tucks. I am told here at luton if you have had surgery with them they will consider the tummy tuck 2years down the line when the weight has levelled off, and I am sure there are other places like that. Good luck with your op

Jay xx

if the skin has been stretched for a long time then the elasticity will be gone, exercise will tone you but thats about all, so i opted to have a t/tuck as it was the only solution for me.

Hello justlou,
My pain consultant also told me much the same has others here have said, he that if a patient is large with alot to lose you can end up with candle effect skin, just how a candle melts down, not nice but this has not put me off going ahead.
I was told this happens when losing a lot of weight and too quick and of course the older you are the worse it is.
If im as lucky to get as far as yourself I plan to go slow, I cannot excercise much due to pain and dissability.
WLS will be worth it!
xx

Hi Justlou, I am finding that SO FAR (I have a long way to go) exercise is ensuring the problem tummy dress has gotten no worse. Having said that, it has gotten no better either. I sometimes think about having a TT when I get near to target weight but a wise man said that you can die from obesity but not from a floppy belly (it was Silver Surfer who said this).
Best wishes to you x

Hmm...Tummy tuck or face lift after surgery?I would go for the face lift I can always hide my belly in me drawers but not much I can do with the face!! lol

Lose skin is guaranteed after weight loss surgery.Some do have more than others but at the end of your journey it is possible for it to be removed so don't worry about it for now. Your health is more important than a little saggy skin so enjoy losing the weight and getting fit. Good luck with your opxx

Back