• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Worrying about getting TT on NHS

Ro Laren

7st 11lbs down ...
Hi everyone!

This may be a little premature but I am a third of the way into a planned weight loss of 15 stone. I'm starting to worry already about loose skin and the difficulties of getting NHS funding.

I've been looking at some pretty awful pictures of people who have lost a similar amount to my intended total.

I've checked my PCT's stipulations and I'd have to maintain a healthy BMI for at least 2 years before being considered.

My worry is that I don't want to have to look like that for 2 years before approaching my GP (who turned me down for a gastric band when my BMI was 59) and even then facing no guarantee of a referral.

There is absolutely no way on Earth I could pay for it myself - I am unable to work due to disability and I have a zero credit rating.

The worry is like a shadow over my weight loss. Although I'm pleased to be losing weight it's tempered by this fear.

Any ideas?

I know exactly how you feel,so far I have lost 130lbs and have been referred for a TT without question by my GP I was amazed,I started off just a bit lighter than you but being a man and taller my goal is not as big,I wish you the best with the weight loss if you are determined to do it dont worry about the skin what will be will be but I will warn you dont expect too much the pics you have seen are not far wrong,genetics and where you store your fat plays a big part, are you firm and fat to start with or more wobbly it all makes a difference I was one of them fat blokes with a big hanging gut and to be honest weight loss does not improve it,it shrinks to an extent but it dosent look any better not to me personally anyway,put it this way naked I do not look like a normal 15st man and bear in mind I weight lifted religiously and did not have WLS I ate a decent high protein diet so I look better than I could have ended up and that is frightening and thats the reality we face,thats why these postcode lottery's regarding TT's are frustrating,it is a shadow over weight loss as you say,I kept thinking a bit more weight a bit more and it will get better but it gets looser and flabbier(pretty picture:eek:)then you realise it makes no difference how slim you get once you have been so big,people often talk about loose skin to me they are totally different I could live with that, the loose skin on my chest and lower back does not bother me at all I am talking about hanging skin flaps,they do not magically come up and back in thats why TTs are availiable and we want one;)

I havent got a clue about my pcts criteria(how did you find that out?)so I am just waiting without knowing at least if you know you can do something about it even if it means waiting,I assume they dont OK it then you are guaranteed to get it if you maintain,only maintain first then we will look again at your case,which kind of takes away the incentive.Financially I am in the same boat as you and short of robbing a bank the NHS is my only hope,if they guaranteed me one if I maintained for two years I would take it now,at least the light at the end of the tunnel is there.

I find the BMI charts ridiculous esp for men carrying any sort of muscle,the last time I was at an healthy BMI I was 12 years old and I was not fat at all even at 17 and 18 stone on the way up I was a big solid guy but not fat coming back down creates an uglier picture though:).

I am at the stage now of being 15 and half stone down from 25st and apart from the excess skin I am not really fat anymore,but god I feel it and regardless how much more I lose which I dont want to ( I have already lost 20" off my waist) to just to reach a bmi charts recommendations I can do nothing to make the lower stomach better its almost pointless to diet further apart from meeting a criteria,I am healthy and normal now but still heavy compared to a lot of men,I find the whole thing bizarre I have the same waist as my 12 stone cousin but because I am twice the size at the shoulders and chest he is considered a healthy weight and I am not.

On the bright side A friend of mine had one relatively quickly and he did not have to maintain at all the fact he had lost it is enough his bmi was still 30 he is tall but he was still 18st at the time,sadly he only lives two miles away but has a different pct,wish I lived in the posh end of town.

Sorry for the long rant but dont focus on it you cant alter it trust me I know:cry:.Get to the end and see then who knows what might happen,if I have enough money by some miracle I will treat us both:rolleyes:

We are all in the same boat together and again good luck

hi both

There are a few threads of people having tt on the nhs so don't give up hope. I think I've read that your bmi has to be under 30 (not in the healthy range of below 25) and retained for a period of time.

i totally understand how you both feel - i lost my weight 2 years ago (6 stone) and was so disheartened by what I saw in the mirror I didn't give any focus to maintaining it and put half back on - stupid, stupid, stupid.

So this time i rewarded myself with a tt and i'm getting my breasts uplifted in feb - I know I'm lucky that i could afford to pay for it myself. It hasn't been a breeze financially and this year as a result finances will be tight but I'm delighted with the results of the tt and know this time i'm going to keep it off to retain my fab new tummy.

Wanted to share for a couple of reasons
1) don't stop fighting - if you need to change doctor to one who will me more understanding and refer you do it - it really is worth it (gbone - not sure how easy this is but could you move to your friends doctor by registering yourself at his address?)
2) keep focus on your weight lose - if you have to retain your weight lose for a year in order to have the surgery what an amazing reason to stay focussed on keeping the weight off
3) please don't do what i did and disrespect your new slim body and not care about putting weight back on - most people see you with your clothes on and to them you will look amazing with your new bod in clothes - they don't realise the skin that's underneath - when i used to moan about it and show people they were amazed as they had no idea. Looking back it was better to look good in clothes and hide a secret underneath than put weight back on and look bad in clothes to everyone

I really hope it works out for you both

so far I have lost 130lbs

Brilliant loss - really well done! :happy036:

are you firm and fat to start with or more wobbly?

I was firm and fat, but becoming wobblier by the day!

I havent got a clue about my pcts criteria(how did you find that out?)

Google is my friend

if they guaranteed me one if I maintained for two years I would take it now, at least the light at the end of the tunnel is there.

Absolutely. I could cope with the 2 year wait if it was a definite 'yes' but not a 'Maybe. If you're good.'

I am not really fat anymore, but god I feel it.

That's really sad and makes you wonder why you bothered.

Get to the end and see then who knows what might happen,if I have enough money by some miracle I will treat us both:rolleyes:

That is such a sweet thought, thank you. :hug99:

Hi Ro,

I'm in a similar position. I've googled my PCT and it seems to want BMI of less than 26, which I'm not far off. I'm going to contact my PALS office tomorrow to get the exact criteria and referral pathway so I can go to my GP.

be very interested to hear how you get on Shel

i am paying for a gastric bypass privately as my PCT said no to funding. Does this give any indication as to weather they would also say no to surgery for excess skin on the NHS, does anyone know?

i had my tummy tuck done on the nhs, my doctor agreed straight away but it had to go to a panel for them to decide, because id lost the 8 1/2 stone on my own they allowed me to have it done, didnt have to maintain my weight for 2 years either. fingers crossed for you

just seen how much weight you have lost so far and your doing fantastic bet you already feel brilliant!

You know, at the risk of sounding like a depressive (oh wait, I am) I sometimes feel worse and bigger than ever. It's taking a long time for my self-image to catch up with my real body.

You know, at the risk of sounding like a depressive (oh wait, I am) I sometimes feel worse and bigger than ever. It's taking a long time for my self-image to catch up with my real body.

Hi Ro

The mind is a complex thing at times - I know exactly what you mean - I look in the mirror and see the old me and have no real appreciation of how different I look.

That really came home to me yesterday when i was looking at some photos of friday night - the actual me is much smaller than what I see in the mirror.

My advise would be to get some photos taken and compare them from when you started even if it feels scary as it really shows your progress month on month and helps the mind catch up

I agree, I have photos in my album on here at all stages, and it's amazing sitting down and comparing the difference. My head hasn't caught up with my body yet, but it's starting to.

Back