• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Saturday pre op, not quite as I hoped

smilergem

On my wl journey at last

Hi everyone
Thanks for the replies to my earlier thread. Have just got back from Taunton hospital, well we visited a couple of places on way home as was a bit disappointed.
I have been having sort of palpitations over the last few weeks, and feeling on edge and nervy, and can't seem to sit still. Am also not sleeping well. I have had a few things on my mind, the op, and problems with my daughter, so wasn't sure if this had caused the palpitations.
Anyway, saw my doctor on friday and he recommended that I ask them at Taunton when they took bloods today to check my thyroid again, as I may be slightly over compensated with thyroxine, which can also cause the same symptoms.
To cut a long story short, the anaesthetist wants it all sorted before he will agree to do the operation, which may set me back a while. I was gutted, as many of you know I have been trying to get this op for four years, and have only just got funding after being turned down twice before.
So, nothing I can do until Monday when I will go to my GP, and ask them to phone Taunton for blood results, and if tsh level is still a bit high, to reduce my dose from 200mg to 175, to see if that stops the heart racing.
I know they are only looking out for my safety, apparently it is really dangerous to operate when there are heart problems, and they want to see it all settled down, but I was sooo disappointed.
Never mind, moan over now, am going to bed and try to relax and de stress and see if that helps as well.
Good night everyone and thanks again for your good wishes and continued support, so nice to know you are all there for me and everyone else on the site.
xxxxxxxx

Hi Jan I understand your disappointment - I too was told at pre op I may have to postpone and I was gutted. In the end it all went ahead but I ended up in intensive care for 2 weeks, hospital for a month and off work for 3 months. Please keep your chin up and be patient because your time will come and you will b healthy afterwards xxxxx

Its must be so dissappointing but to be trite it is better safe than sorry. Lets hope they get it sorted soon

M

You must be so disappointed, Jan! I hope you can get this sorted out and be in the best possible shape for your anaesthetic.

I'm so sorry for your disappointment but like others have said, it's better for your health if they get this sorted before your op, at least you're still on the list and are down for having the op, you've waited so long for this, you're probably closer than you've ever been before so don't lose heart. xx

Sorry things didn't go as planned Jan, hopefully it will be your thyroid causing the symptoms and your meds will only need a little tweak :)

Aw luv that's a shame. Like people have said it is in your own best interest to be as healthy as possible pre op, so let's hope your medication get's things moving in the right direction as soon as possible xxx

Aww hon I have only just seen this.
Im so sorry that you had that disappointment, but try to relax a little about it, it should only take a month to get your levels sorted if they are too high and it does sound alot like its the thyroxine causing the symptoms, its the same for me when mine is a little too high.
HUGE hugs and heres to a quick resolution.
Dont worry babes, you WILL get op and you WILL succeed.
Steph xx

Hi hun - you must be disappointed however as you know and everyone will say it is so better to check these things pre-op rather than find anything is wrong whilst you are under or when you come round! Fingers crossed for a speedy diagnosis and fingers crossed you will be on the losers bench soon x

Som sorry to learn of your disappointment, but I am sure that they will sort you out as quickly as they can. I had my preop last Thursday and I am keepng my fingers crossed my bloods and swabs were okay so I know how you feel.

Take care and keep your pecker up

Fizzy x

I can't say anything to take away your disappointment so i'll just leave it to the first couple of stones dropping off your body after you have your surgery and the knowledge that this is just the beginning for you...

Be healthy and strong xxx

What a pain! As everyone else has said, better to get it sorted now. I had my op on the Saturday and had to have a myocardial perfusion first on the Wednesday - so wasn't sure that it would go ahead three days later, but I was given the go ahead on the Friday.

Hopefully you will get this resolved really quickly. In the meantime, big hugs xx

Thank you so much everyone for your kind posts. I have been feeling pretty rotten all day thinking about things, but when I logged on and saw how kind everyone has been, I felt cheered up straight away.
I know I need to be in the healthiest possible state when I have the op, my brain tells me that but my mind and heart are just a bit peed off lol xxxxx

I hope they get it sorted asap for you hun xx:)

i feel for you hun .. my op was supposed to be March 3 .. but due to an ulcer they found had to have it put back .. 3 scopes later and i am on the surgery schedule for may .. but i do understand how disappointed you are .. it took me a few days to get past it and realize it was for the best .. as you said .. your mind knows that . but .. its not easy to get your heart to agree for a few days ! hope things go smoothly and you are back on schedule soon (((hugs))))

Keeping my fingers crossed it's all sorted soon ready for you to have your long awaited op Jan.

Cuppa xx

Hi Jan i would be truly gutted as well, even though you know it's for the best sometimes this just doesnt help and i can understand you being so peed off. Hopefully in a few days your head will start overuling your heart and you will feel a little less frustrated with the situation, fingers crossed for you xxx

I know it's disappointing but I'm glad they want it all sorted before they op. Hope it settles down soon though :)

Back