• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

SCIENCE: why diet + exercise fails and bariatric surgery works

Sharonimo

Sleeve to Bypass
Since being referred for WLS in January of this year, I started to read as much research as I could, and came across the excellent: http://www.drsharma.ca/

Below I offer a summary of Dr Sharma's findings (this is combined from about 3 or 4 different articles of his, the original links of which I will post below).

A person who only needs to lose 3 stone will only need to cut their calorific requirements (post weight loss) by 20% to keep their new lower weight.

However, for an ex super morbidly obese person who uses diet and exercise to diet down from 300+ lbs to 150 lbs the homeostatic thermometer will be reduced by over 50%. The ex obese person becomes *more* fuel efficient, and needs fewer calories than a NEVER obese person of 150 lbs.

For an ex super morbidly obese (over 300 lbs) person who reaches 150 lbs they are likely to need to survive on a new reduced calorie intake, at least 25% or 30% lower than a NEVER obese 150 lb person.

i.e. an ex obese person will have to survive on 1400 calories a day to maintain their new lean size

This is extremely difficult, if not impossible, for all but the most dedicated, with a football sized stomach and an appetite that was previously used to consuming around 3000 cals per day.

It becomes possible with the aid of bariatric surgery, when the stomach is reduced to the size of an egg cup, and hunger and desire is significantly reduced for post bypass patients to survive on less than 2000 cals a day.

Dr Sharma states that the average post bypass patient does actually live on only 1400 – 1500 cals a day and due to not being able to eat so much has to make better food choices to get all the protein and nutrients they need within their limited calorie / small stomach budget.

[LINKS FOLLOW NEXT BOX BELOW]

Obviously in an ideal world none of us would ever have become obese in the first place. If we were all perfect model citizens and arbiters of all the health advice, none of us would *ever* have eaten more than 2,000 calories a day or gone a day without doing our regular 30 minutes of cardio exercise.

If I had been told as a slightly plump teenager that that was actually the *best* way to be for the rest of my life, and to just use moderate exercise and occasional "mini diets" / cutting back a bit to get my weight back down to 12 stone each time it creeped above, it would have been much easier (the calorie deficit needed to lose only 2 or 3 stone is 20% or less).

However, like many of us, I let my weight spiral, the problem is once you have OBESITY, scientifically proven research proves that you have a 95% chance of FAILURE of actually trying to cure it yourself thru "normal" diet and exercise, due to all these homeostatic and hormonal pressures that drive the body to want to return to its previous weight.

For anyone (either normal weight or ex obese) to survive on less than 1500 calories a day is TALL ask, and that is why only approx 5% of the most dedicated dieters, who actually turn it into a life long obsession, achieve long term weight loss of a HUGE amount (ie over 100 lbs).

Interesting.

feels like spam :(

I am absolutely not a spammer. I am one of you and in no way associated with Dr Sharma. I happened to come across this info, which is all based on 100s or 1000s of scientific research studies and I thought it was hugely interesting.

once yes but to keep on pasting it multi times!

The first box is my summary of all the research.

The second box the links.

The third box my own thoughts on admitting it is our own fault we became obese, but not entirely 100% our fault that it is so difficult to REVERSE obesity through normal diet and exerise.

Yesterday a few people within this forum accused me of not taking responsibility for my own obesity, or admitting that it was my own fault.

That is categorically not the case -- like all of us I have tried at least 20 diets and lost varying amounts of weight from 1 stone to 4 or 5 stone, but never consistently kept it off.

I know why I got fat -- I just found that after having done so I am now trapped in a body that (without surgery) has never wanted to shrink down to its former size (and I am talking about the size I was at 16 years old which was 12 stone then).

Since being referred for the surgery and having had my first appointment at the Whittington in September, I have just found out today that I have lost 15 lbs between that appointment in September and now. So I am delighted, and determined that my "pre surgery" weight loss will be just a stepping stone towards the full journey.

That is a good weight loss !!!!

Congratulations on your weight loss, and thanks for the info, very informative, Karen x

ohh

Last edited:
Let's just take it for what it is, a member of this forum sharing some information about obesity and their feelings, as we all do and leave it at that. I don't want to see people start at each other. We are all better than that. :)

We all share our thoughts & findings, sometimes we agree other times we don't, sometimes we waffle sometimes we have the need to express things in various ways to help us understand our feelings whether or not we all agree with these we should respect their feelings we should not knock what we don't like or agree with.

Totally agree with the last two posts. Lets not get at each other, we are all here for the same purpose.

Sharon, thanks for sharing this info. I have read some of the Dr Sharma stuff before and it is very good although Ive not looked at it recently.

Since being referred for the surgery and having had my first appointment at the Whittington in September, I have just found out today that I have lost 15 lbs between that appointment in September and now. So I am delighted, and determined that my "pre surgery" weight loss will be just a stepping stone towards the full journey.

Well done on you weight lose so far, a few of us managed to loss weight before the pre op diet & surgery too. Personally I started eating less, didn't mind leaving food on the plate, began drinking more water etc in preparation for what I'd be doing after the op. Glad to say that the day before my op I was already down 12lbs and have never looked back.

The more we lose before the op can only aid with our recovery and our new regime:)

Good luck with the rest of your journey

HI Sharon,

Do you know what sort of pre op diet you will be doing?

My diet was one piece of fish or chicken per day plus one egg plus green vegetables and two portions of fruit per day and I managed to lose 23lbs over two weeks.

However previous to my op I had "last supper" syndrome and ate my way from 20.7 stone up to 21.12lbs in about 4 months!!!

I appreciate you collating all the links above, I have not read all of them but I will.

Wendy x

I am going for my op today and I have done the Cambridge for just two day with the go ahead from my Surgeon, and want to do it for the first 2 weeks if all is ok with my dietician

Good luck with your op Sue, but if you are doing cambridge diet immediately post op you wont manage a full shake in one go. I'd make sure your surgeon and dietitian are happy for you to do that hun x

Thanks yeah I am going to check everything with them, just had my bloods done waiting now for my room. I am so hungry and thirsty x

Back