• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Seeking Bypass Advice :(

Curvy_Kapricorn

Hi Everyone,
This is the first time i've actually managed to get on here for a while, due to ISP probs and also because i had my bypass on 17th Dec!!! (after my first op date of 4th Nov was cancelled).

I am still sore, but recovering really well but i am worried something is not right (or maybe its just me), and im hoping that some of you more experienced bypassers will know if its normal....

Since from around day three post op, i have been able to basically drink the same as i was before the op and can drink well over the stated 200ml and now i am on the pureed food stage, i can eat two baby food jars of food and still feel like i have room for some sips of water or milk???
I have not been able to get in contact with anyone at the Hospital due to the department being closed over christmas, so i cannot ask them :confused:.

It is normal to be able to consume as much so soon? and what does it feel like to be "full" as i do think i have experienced this yet? I have not felt hungry at all, and i have not felt sick either?

Is there something wrong (dont laugh but i keep thinking that the surgeon has not done the wls), or will the restriction/fullness become more apparant once the healing has completed and swelling ceased?

I am soooo grateful for any advice.

Claire x x x x

Hi Claire,

I havent had a bypass, but im sure sum1 will be along in a mo to give you some advise. I just wanted to say congrats on having your wls and I wish you a speedy recovery. Heres to a lighter 2009. Take care R x

Hi
i have been able to basically drink the same as i was before the op and can drink well over the stated 200ml

i can eat two baby food jars of food and still feel like i have room for some sips of water or milk???

It is normal to be able to consume as much so soon?

what does it feel like to be "full" as i do think i have experienced this yet?

Claire x x x x

Hi Claire, first of all congrats on a good recovery. You said you can drink more than 200ml, did you mean 2000ml/day? That is the recommended amount but you can drink more if you are able, so nothing wrong there, in that way you are very lucky!

As for the quantity of food, it does seem like you can get in more than most at 10 days post ops. Don't feel bad, I too have been able to eat more than most due to fast healing. Plus you are still on puree, which slips down pretty easy. Just make sure not to drink right before, during or directly after a meal because it will wash the puree right out of your pouch.

Once you get on more solid food you will probably feel more 'full'. As for what does full feel like, well everyone is different. I feel pressure in my chest, sorta like indigestion or heartburn when I have eaten too fast or too much. I really did not feel this much during puree, but when I switched to more textured food, I started to feel the full feeling. You have to remember that your head is telling you to eat more but you have to learn to listen to your body and it should tell you when you have filled your pouch. I would not be concerned but if you are still having a lack of fullness after the holidays, give your team a call and ask them.

Best of luck and consider yourself lucky for not being sick or having trouble with your fluids and foods.

HTH

Hi, it just sounds as if you havent had as much internal swelling as most people, I could drink a cup of tea almost the same as before the op (warmer drinks always went down quicker) and like phat girl said finding that full feeling on a mushy diet is hard. You dont sound like you are eating too much, remember that the food will go down quicker when pureed, your real full feeling will come when you start to eat more solid food.
You sound just like me after the op lol! great news that you have had it done xxx

ditto here only when i reached the mush stage did i experiance an elephant sitting on my chest. yr body will soon start talking to you when its had enough.
hc

Hi there

congratulations on your surgery and fast recovery.

I'm now 5 weeks post surgery and I'm still on the liquid, puree stage although I'm starting to add a few textures aswell. I had a slice of toast last night and had no problem with it.

As phat girl said you have to start to listen to your body telling you what you need. On the puree stage I'm able to tell when I've had enough cause I get a big feeling or pressure in my chest and although its not painful its very uncomfortable and I don't like it at all. Saying that I've only felt that once and that was quite early post op and I think it was from drinking too soon after eating.

I'm sure that once you start to add a few textures and go onto more solid food that you will start to feel the restrictions. Just to say that I too can drink a cup a soup, about 3/4 of a cup and have no problems with it however if I did n't leave it a long time before having something to eat after it then I would suffer with it.

Dont panic, I'm sure you will be fine and after the holidays if you are still worried as other people have said you can contact your dietician.

Alia xxx

Welcome back Kaps :) Was wondering how the op had gone for you.

Can't add to what everyone else has said, you've had excellent advice already.

Hi glad your op went well and you are recovering well. everyone is different following the op if you are managing your intake ok i wouldn't worry. i really struggled initially but had alot of sickness and that so just glad to hear you are managing well. take care x

Hi Claire, first of all congrats on a good recovery. You said you can drink more than 200ml, did you mean 2000ml/day? That is the recommended amount but you can drink more if you are able, so nothing wrong there, in that way you are very lucky!

As for the quantity of food, it does seem like you can get in more than most at 10 days post ops. Don't feel bad, I too have been able to eat more than most due to fast healing. Plus you are still on puree, which slips down pretty easy. Just make sure not to drink right before, during or directly after a meal because it will wash the puree right out of your pouch.

Once you get on more solid food you will probably feel more 'full'. As for what does full feel like, well everyone is different. I feel pressure in my chest, sorta like indigestion or heartburn when I have eaten too fast or too much. I really did not feel this much during puree, but when I switched to more textured food, I started to feel the full feeling. You have to remember that your head is telling you to eat more but you have to learn to listen to your body and it should tell you when you have filled your pouch. I would not be concerned but if you are still having a lack of fullness after the holidays, give your team a call and ask them.

Best of luck and consider yourself lucky for not being sick or having trouble with your fluids and foods.

HTH

Hi Phatgirl,
Thank you so much for your advice it has reassured me so much. It is so true that you must listen to your body before mind
as my mind is still telling me that i need to eat all the rubbish i was eating before, but my body is saying 'Nooooooooo'.
It is going to take some getting used to but i am determined to work with my pouch and make it happy :).
I feel fantastic already and i only had the op just over two weeks ago. I can feel i have lost weight and can't wait to go back to the Hospital on 9th Jan to see how much i have lost!!!

Thanks again for the advice & Happy New Year!

x x x x x

Hi, it just sounds as if you havent had as much internal swelling as most people, I could drink a cup of tea almost the same as before the op (warmer drinks always went down quicker) and like phat girl said finding that full feeling on a mushy diet is hard. You dont sound like you are eating too much, remember that the food will go down quicker when pureed, your real full feeling will come when you start to eat more solid food.
You sound just like me after the op lol! great news that you have had it done xxx

Thanks Caroline,
In the last few days i have noticed that if i don't sip liquids, they come straight up again and i have been sick twice since last posting and that was because i tried to eat scrambled egg as i used to b4 the op and realised it was not going down without chewing properly lol.

I am trying to get all my protein in and i am finding this difficult as my Dr gave me ensure plus drinks and my pouch does not like them very much - making me feel sickie after a few sips, so i have been trying to stick to milk and pureed meats.

How did you get your protein in the weeks after the op?

xxxxxxx

ditto here only when i reached the mush stage did i experiance an elephant sitting on my chest. yr body will soon start talking to you when its had enough.
hc

Thanks HC,
Not long to go till I experience this sensation and i am quite looking forward to it because i am worried if i eat to much mush my staples will burst open :( lol so it will be good to know when my body has had enough and can tell me.
x

Hi there

congratulations on your surgery and fast recovery.

I'm now 5 weeks post surgery and I'm still on the liquid, puree stage although I'm starting to add a few textures aswell. I had a slice of toast last night and had no problem with it.

As phat girl said you have to start to listen to your body telling you what you need. On the puree stage I'm able to tell when I've had enough cause I get a big feeling or pressure in my chest and although its not painful its very uncomfortable and I don't like it at all. Saying that I've only felt that once and that was quite early post op and I think it was from drinking too soon after eating.

I'm sure that once you start to add a few textures and go onto more solid food that you will start to feel the restrictions. Just to say that I too can drink a cup a soup, about 3/4 of a cup and have no problems with it however if I did n't leave it a long time before having something to eat after it then I would suffer with it.

Dont panic, I'm sure you will be fine and after the holidays if you are still worried as other people have said you can contact your dietician.

Alia xxx

Thank you very much for your advice Alia and congratulations on having the op.

Welcome back Kaps :) Was wondering how the op had gone for you.

Can't add to what everyone else has said, you've had excellent advice already.

Hiya Shelbel,
Thanks for your msg.
Yes at last i had the op and i am so pleased and thankful that i have had very little trouble.
Happy New Year! x x x

Hi glad your op went well and you are recovering well. everyone is different following the op if you are managing your intake ok i wouldn't worry. i really struggled initially but had alot of sickness and that so just glad to hear you are managing well. take care x

Hi Tammy,
Thanks for your reassurance.
I was panicking so much because i imagined that i would only be able to eat a few spoonfuls but have come to realise that everyone's recovery time is different and that i should just listen to my body and go with it.
Sorry to hear you were sick alot, ive only been sick twice so far - and that was enough, as i was in a restaurant and there was a queue in the toilets. lol x

Back