• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Should I ask to be tested for sleep apnoea or do they do that anyway?

yorkiegal

Baxter's mum
Am starting to worry that not having any comorbidities will prevent me from receiving funding. Apparantly high cholesterol doesn't count. I have no idea if I have sleep apnoea. All I know is that I snore, and that I always feel tired when I wake up. Do you get tested for it automatically during the referral process?

Yorkiegal i wasn't tested for it. I would go see your gp and explain that you think you may have it (no need to mention your surgery) explain you're tired after a good few hours sleep etc. Do you sleep in the day? Do you feel sleepy whilst driving? Fall asleep easily during the day?

It cant hurt to get tested, if its negative you know you dont have a potentially life threatening illness. If it's positive you have your comorbidity and hopefully your surgery xxx

I got tested because hubby said my snoring had changed. GP referred me and got appt in a couple of weeks. I brought home an oxygen monitor that clips on my finger for the night, went back the next morning and was diagnosed with mild sleep apneoa. He decided to put me on cpap as I was hoping to get funding for this op and said they would want me to be having treatment before they would do it. Under my pct it states severe sleep apneoa but I was under the exceptional cases team and my gp wrote and told them all about my new conditions (that had developed since original application) and how concerned she was for my general health. Apparently it was this that eventually got me the funding because she was concerned.

If you are tested and diagnosed with OSA then be prepared to tell DVLC as it affects your driving licence status. You would be asked to stop driving until the OSA is controlled. You may have to wait months in order to get a CPAP machine to help with this.

Forewarned is forearmed.

Having said that, it would most likely help with your wls funding.

thanks guys. I'm already banned from driving due to the medication I'm on, quetiapine, which is a major tranquiliser and could cause sleep apnoea in itself. I'm going to use my pc to record myself sleeping tonight, as I don't have a partner who can listen to me snore.

There is a questionaire that you can complete which can be used as a guide to the level of sleep apneoa Welcome to OSA online, my doctor used a similar test, I ended up with results that said that I had narcelepsy! I was called into the sleep clinic for the night and tested, two weeks later I had a posh new cpap machine! Now my hubby and I have a decent night sleep and I no longer want to fall asleep all the time, even though I had a very high score I was not advised to stop driving, so I suppose every clinic has different rules.

My OH waited a whole two weeks after testing to get his cpap machine and after only three nights feels great. Me i'm loving it too, for the first time in 14 months i'm going to bed without ear plugs in. I really thought i'd never go to bed with hearing again :)

even though I had a very high score I was not advised to stop driving, so I suppose every clinic has different rules.

It is down to the patient to inform DVLC and their insurance company of relevant health changes, your insurance is invalid if you don't. This is true for diabetes as well as OSA.

My OH waited a whole two weeks after testing to get his cpap machine and after only three nights feels great. Me i'm loving it too, for the first time in 14 months i'm going to bed without ear plugs in. I really thought i'd never go to bed with hearing again :)

My OSA story and timings were pretty much the same. However, there are others on here who have had to wait up to 3 months for their CPAP. So much for a NATIONAL Health Service.

xx

Back