• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Should I go to the support group?

prinny

Need some advice from you guys. I haven't told anyone apart from my other half and sister in law about my op. However I have seen in my local paper that there is a support group being run for people who have had weightloss surgery!( i couldn't believe it!) I would really like to go but am worried about people seeing me there etc.... and my secret being out. I have told them at work that I had abdominal surgery and didn't expand. What do you lot think? I would feel such a fraud about being a liar but at the end of the day I felt it was personal and why should everyone know, but it's putting me off going. Another thing is I don't want to be sat there like a Billy no mates on my own with a bunch of GP'S and health people!

Just think of it this way, if you don't know anyone who has had the surgery why not go? My reasoning is that you won't run into anyone who could reveal you secret unless someone you know is also keeping their surgery secret - see it is a win/win situation.

Support groups rock & many people go to them alone.

Nic:p

Just think of it this way, if you don't know anyone who has had the surgery why not go? My reasoning is that you won't run into anyone who could reveal you secret unless someone you know is also keeping their surgery secret - see it is a win/win situation.

Support groups rock & many people go to them alone.

Nic:p

i agree nic, she wont meet anyone that isnt there in the same boat, if it is someone you know then they are probably in the same situation and feel the same about ppl knowing, i think it will be ok, go 4 it,

liz x

Hi Prinny,if you feel you need the extra support then go for it.As brilliant this forum is for support a little extra would'nt hurt. Go for it and if you don't feel comfortable when you get there you can always walk out. Take care xx Gaynor xx

And you havent lied to anyone you have had abdominal surgery you just didnt elaberate on it.

i would go if i was you hun ... it was the best thing i did was meet people face to face who was going through the same as me ... pre and post op .. i found loads of info and got to ask all the questions i wanted ...

and its a goof form of support for your self to make sure you are keeping on track and doing the best for your self and getting out of it everything u need and putting in 100%

bugga everyone else .. its all about u hun xx

Hi,

I go to a support group and have made many friends through it, I would highly recommend it to anyone. The first thing said at our meetings is that everything that happens within the room is confidential and does NOT leave the room. People will respect your privacy as they would expect you to respect theirs and if we bump into anyone that we know from the group we usually explain how we know each other as through a friend...go for it!!

Thanks Everyone. I never thought of it like that about bumping into people, if I do they haven't made it public knowledge that they have had it done. So I might toddle off down there. Thanks again.xx

Hi Prinny - definitely go to at least one - there is nothing like picking up valuable info from people who have actually been through the surgery. I learned things (and I thought I knew everything!).

Good luck!

Back