• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Should i...

Annerley

Hi all out there,:wave_cry:i've got POCOS and overweight,and have been most of my life.I've got a choice to go down the Gastric Band route ie sorting out the weight first then once lost weight the POCOS will be eased.Or go down the mediciation route ie Metformin which may sort out my POCOS and hopefully weight will come off.I've had a apt with David Hewin who was really nice,and i could have the band fitted end of july.I've also had a apt with an endocrinologist,who suggested blood tests,urine tests ....By the time the results are through and i see the Endo again it will be aprox 2 months, by which time i could have had the band......any advice pleeeeeeeaase...:confused:

Hi. I can relate! I have PCOS and, personally, was on Metformin for 4yrs and it made NO diff whatsoever. Weight loss wasn't easier, still had no monthlies, still hairy etc

I know everyone is diff but I am now having bypass done, hopefully, next month.

Hope this has been a little help at least!!!
X

Sent from my iPhone using WLSurgery

Annerley, if someone is offering you the choice of a weight loss surgery then please by all means research it and see which one would be of most benefit to you.

Ask all the questions you need and get all the information needed and make an INFORMED choice. We will all sing the praises of our own surgeries. I'm a bypasser and because of my surgery and subsequent weight loss/diet change am no longer needing medication. That and i cannot eat loads at one meal like i could before, however when i look at my daily intake it surprises me now...

You need to address whether you are a sweet lover like myself, whether you eat volume or graze, whether you have the willpower that you will need for a band.

Banders out of all the weight loss surgery people have for me most of my respect (this doesn't mean i don't respect the sleevers or bypassers) because they have to have a heck of a lot of will power and self control to make the band work especially until they reach their 'sweet spot'.

So many people think wls will make the weight drop off miraculously and they won't have to put the effort in. Okay i know a couple of people that's happened too but they have been blessed. I also know a few people, myself included, who are a few stone away from goal and need to use other tools alongside our surgery to get to the final destination....

Go into it with your eyes wide open and be aware it still takes effort xx

I have pcos too - metformin didnt work for me. I have absolutely no regrets from having bypass but everyone is diff. You need to research as much as possible so u can make the best choice for you

hello and welcome x

I also have pcos, i was put on metformin on a high dose but like the previous posts it had no bearing on weight reduction or stabilisation of periods, too me this drug became a burden with some nasty side effects, beacuse i only eat one meal aday & binge eat at night i had to take the meds on an empty tummy so i felt sick,dizzy with horrible tummy cramps x i wouldn't be turning down the chance to get surgery so soon but again like the other members have pointed out you should do some serious research 1st before you have any type of "invasive" surgery xx i wish you all the best of luck and keep us posted on your journey xxxx

go for the band you will lose weight and need not to take drugs and learn how to eat smaller amounts ...ive got pcos as well and thoose drugs did nothing for my weight or hair ..

Hi annerley i have PCOS, ans was put on metformin to fall pregnant i did fall but did not lose weight on it and i also have bad side affects to it i did not get periods back and did not get less symptoms at all, i did fall pregnant however but nothing else. i felt sick on it and dizzy, but like others have said its your choice, however i know if i was offered this i would not be taking it it did nothing much for me in the respect you are wanting it for, on the other hand it did give me a gorge boy 8 years ago. hope u find what you need to help you make the right choice i am sure you will xx

i have pcos, but treatment didnt make no diff too my weight only gave me a child 10 years ago...... hes the 1 and only child i will ever concieve.... i love him lots.

Hi you all out there,i think i am pointing towards Band route.only slight snag is,i'm a single mum of a 4year old so i will need to find out wether i can be a day patient,or i will need to ask a friend to look after my son which will be o'k for a day but for a night could be a bit of a problem..ho hum will have to speak to David Hewin's sec..

I too have pcos and the metformin didnt work for me either,
As for the the surgery in 1 day, I havent heard of anyone coming out the same day, I think overnight is the norm.

Have a chat and see if wls is for you, I wish you well x

Hello i to have PCOS and i have decided to go for the gastric bypass. good luck with whatever route you choose x

I have PCOS and was on chlomiphen to concieve my only daughter and since then struggled and struggled with my weight which is why I opted for a band in the end...

Hi all out there,:wave_cry:i've got POCOS and overweight,and have been most of my life.I've got a choice to go down the Gastric Band route ie sorting out the weight first then once lost weight the POCOS will be eased.Or go down the mediciation route ie Metformin which may sort out my POCOS and hopefully weight will come off.I've had a apt with David Hewin who was really nice,and i could have the band fitted end of july.I've also had a apt with an endocrinologist,who suggested blood tests,urine tests ....By the time the results are through and i see the Endo again it will be aprox 2 months, by which time i could have had the band......any advice pleeeeeeeaase...:confused:

Hello there,

I have had pcos for over 20 years and I had the band last July and have been down the metformin route and tried various lotions/pills had numerous tests etc and there hasn't been a single difference in my symptoms of pcos, even with a weight loss of over 6st...... But I am sure there are some people that may have had an improvement in there symptoms etc...everyone's different I guess. Good Luck

Back