• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Should we still calorie count

happy days

I iam 7 mths post gastric bypass, so far I've lost 8 stone 1 lb which is great. My problem is I really don't know what quantity of food I shud be having, I've read alot of posts about calorie counting but I have no idea if I should be and if I should how many calories per day should I have. To be honest the aftercare at srh is pretty dismal.

I have been told at L&D, that the protein is the important factor for us post op, and there was also a mention of 1000-1200 cals a day, which I am not hitting anywhere near.

Dont take this as read though, as I am fairly new out, wait for some more experienced post oppers.

Peterborough Guy said:
I have been told at L&D, that the protein is the important factor for us post op, and there was also a mention of 1000-1200 cals a day, which I am not hitting anywhere near.

Dont take this as read though, as I am fairly new out, wait for some more experienced post oppers.

Thanks PG
Iam still nowhere near that kind of intake but that's more because I don't allow myself to.
And welcome to a slimmer you :)

You need a minimum of 900 cals a day to fuel your body and keep you out of starvation mode. Then, if you do exercise that needs to be increased. I didn't calorie count, just had 3 meals, and 3 protein based snacks per day (1 of which was a shake).

Sent from my iPhone using Forum Runner

also told not to calorie count by nicky the dietician - she said three meals per day with a focus on protein, and my snacks should be carbs (good carbs like fruit, snackajacks etc)

I think iam doing this all wrong.
Average day
15 grams of bran flakes
Two rice cakes with soft cheese
Half chicken breast, one med carrot and sweetcorn.
Maybe a banana
OR
15 grams bran flakes
Boiled egg and a plum
Toddler portion of spaghetti Bol
Banana if iam peckish

Does this sound right

Doesn't sound anywhere near enough tbh.

MrsSAFC said:
sounds quite a small amount for being 7 months post op?

If I eat anymore then I can't get the fluids in catch 22 really. Iam scared of eating for eating sake if iam not hungry. That's what got me in this mess in the first place but I don't want to be starving myself eithet

This was a typical day for me while losing

Breakfast - 2 rashers bacon & small tin reduced sugar beans OR peanut butter on soya & linseed toast OR poached egg on toast

Mid morning - milky coffee & mini babybel cheese

Lunch - chicken & avocado salad with 1 or 2 crackerbread & ranch dressing OR ham & pea soup with croutons or bruschetta OR salmon & low fat cream cheese sandwich

Mid afternoon - low fat yoghurt

Dinner - 2 egg omelette with tuna, spring onion & cheese OR small jacket potato with chilli and cheese OR 1/2 chicken breast with new pots, broccoli and gravy

Evening - protein shake

in between I would always have a bottle of water or squash by my side to sip constantly.

I do have quite a bit of fluid shelbell I think maybe I need to introduce a few healthy snacks. Thanks for your help

Hi Shel what protein shake do you have ?

Lots of different types. So long as it's a whey based protein with atleast 20g protein per serving and no more than 2g carbs I shopped around. Myprotein do sample sachets so you can see what flavours you like.

Jed, we're all different! My portions have always been very small but I was told to aim for 3 meals/3 snacks so that's what I did, and it worked well for me.

Yup,proofs in the pudding Shell!
I eat about the same amounts as you.It does take time to build up to though.I need fibre for my bowel so have two weetabix for brekkie every other morning and either a scrambled egg with cheese or bacon and egg on the other days.Tinned fish and salad with fruit or yoghurt for lunch.Same evening meal as hubby just small portion and very little carbs.In between meals sliced ham or babybel.Im drinking more normally now which I used to worry about just post op,as I struggled to drink enough.If I have been low on protien I will have some almonds or milky coffee or pnut butter on crackers.Do you really only have 15gr of cereal or was that a mistake?Maz x

Big an Bouncy said:
Yup,proofs in the pudding Shell!
I eat about the same amounts as you.It does take time to build up to though.I need fibre for my bowel so have two weetabix for brekkie every other morning and either a scrambled egg with cheese or bacon and egg on the other days.Tinned fish and salad with fruit or yoghurt for lunch.Same evening meal as hubby just small portion and very little carbs.In between meals sliced ham or babybel.Im drinking more normally now which I used to worry about just post op,as I struggled to drink enough.If I have been low on protien I will have some almonds or milky coffee or pnut butter on crackers.Do you really only have 15gr of cereal or was that a mistake?Maz x

15grams of branflakes and that lasts me till lunchtime, I have tried weetabix and managed a whole one but I was hungry by mid morning so thought it was better to stick with the flakes.

Back