• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Should I Be Counting The Calories

vanilla-cupcake

Hi everyone,

Im just wondering.... should I be counting how many calories I am consuming each day?

That would be fine for items that have a calorie content on them ie salad cream & beetroot etc but how would I calculate how many calories would be in the shepherds pie I had today, I made a big dish of it (my parents over for dinner) it contained 2lb lean mince, 7 grated carrots, 1/4 bag of garden peas, 2tbsp worchester sauce, 2 pkts of shepherds pie mix (104cals each) 3/4 bag of spuds & 2 sweet potatoes (all mashed with butter, milk & cheese).... I had a slice that was on a tea plate roughly about 6 tbsp's...................I have no idea how I would work out the calorie content!!

I wouldn't worry overly much Kate, you seem to be coping really well with what you eat and I always look at what you and the other banders eat and think I'm eating far too much!. I only count calories because If I didn't exercise some strict control over myself I would be back on a packet of crisps and a bowl of icecream a day (that has been known in a stupid moment or two)
I don't think it's generally viewed as necessary to count cals after a band, but have a chat with your provider maybe, ultimately, do what makes you feel right. x

Hi Neen, thanks, the reason Im asking is........

.......if the shepherds pie is say roughly 300cals :confused: I would have had about 670 calories today and thats not enough, I was told I need to be having between 1200 and 1500, I personally would be happy enough having about 1100 cals, i'll ask the dietician when im back down in Sept but just wondered what you lot thought

Ok cool I see what you mean. I keep a little notebook and just jot down and tot up everyday. It's hard to answer for someone else cos it all depends on how much activity you do a day, plus your current weight. Nobody told me how many cals I should be aiming for at all so it's a bit of a guessing game for me. Maybe try bumping them up for a week and see what happens with your loss?

Hi Neen, thanks, the reason Im asking is........

.......if the shepherds pie is say roughly 300cals :confused: I would have had about 670 calories today and thats not enough, I was told I need to be having between 1200 and 1500, I personally would be happy enough having about 1100 cals, i'll ask the dietician when im back down in Sept but just wondered what you lot thought

hi.
I was told to aim for 1000 cals a day but since my 2nd fill im having less than that. I spoke to wlsgroup and they are happy with what im eating. If i dont manage at least 800 cals in a day i will have a slimfast.

i dont calorie count to much if i have something which is fattening ie icecream cake or chocolate i check calories to see how much i need to exersice off lol but as your band gets tighter the amount of food will decrease so you dont have to go to calorie mad i think i live off about 900ish most days i look at it the band is in for life and i dont intend to count calories for rest of my life just make healthier choces

i dont calorie count to much if i have something which is fattening ie icecream cake or chocolate i check calories to see how much i need to exersice off lol but as your band gets tighter the amount of food will decrease so you dont have to go to calorie mad i think i live off about 900ish most days i look at it the band is in for life and i dont intend to count calories for rest of my life just make healthier choces

You said it :D

670 calories a day is not really enough, when you think that an average woman needs 2000.

I consume around 1200-1500 calories a day but try to burn 200-500 calories off (depending on intake) with exercise, anything lower than 800 calories can cause starvation mode and slow weight loss. So my average daily consumption is 1000 approx.

I keep tabs of it most days as it helps me to see if I am going too far off the beaten track with my food. Its easy to forget certain things have calories...

I use Livestrongs Daily Plate website...I love it.

Back