• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Sick of people saying its the easy way !!!!!

I agree this is easier than anything else, but its certainly not easy! I know for sure that none of my skinny friends could not do this liquid diet. I think it takes being completely fed up with being fat, and knowing you already tried everything else to get the strength to stick to what they tell you to do. They just don't get that if they haven't struggled like we have. I'm so so thankful for all of you! It's nice to have a whole group of people who get me, and not having to try to explain myself.
thats because they dont have a food addiction, which is why they will never understand. If you're not a drug addict, or alcoholic or smoker its easy to say, stop, just stop, we dont understand how hard that can be, then on top of that, give them a fix three times a day and keep telling them to stop, which is what is expected of us from people who dont understand that we are addicts. It's not their fault, they just have no comprehension of what food addiction is like. Lets be honest, nobody would deliberately get morbidly obese :) xxx

It's not the easy way. There is no easy way otherwise nobody would be obese. Surgery is a last resort for a lot of people and is never ever easy. I think people make these comments partly because of a lack of understanding and knowledge about the surgery and partly because they are jealous. Either because they struggle with weight themselves or because they are about to 'lose' their fat friend.

I often ask them whether they think a smoker is taking the easy way out if they use patches to stop smoking or whether a drug addict is taking the easy way out by going into rehab. These are all tools. The hard work is still on us. Yes the first 6-12 months, weight loss occurs for most post op patients who stick to the prescribed diet and that's great. After that a lot of us have to work hard to continue to lose or maintain. And as we all know, we need to adopt a healthy diet and lifestyle for life. I don't know how anyone can say it's the easy way out or a shortcut of any sort.

i just think having this opp will help me so much and make it EASYER to lose weight but not a easy thing to put yaself though x

We know the op is tool, we know that it's not easy either the "hard way" without wls or the "easy way" with wls & no matter what it's tough emotionally as we travel the path we chose.
Yes we lose weight with our surgery & pretty much guaranteed for good, or not if we don't follow the rules. We may not want food but can still make the wrong choices if we don't control our old demons or ourselves.
I was told pre-op by a colleague when I was talking about the pre-op diet that I chose the op & yes I did but the choice was eat myself to death & have lots of ongoing pain or take this chance to control what I eat & how much. So yes I chose the chance of a longer less physically painful life. It's not always easy old habits still have to be fought daily but this time I'm winning & aim to stay on the winning side for the rest of my life. If I can't it will be me & not the op that's failed so I hope I have the self awareness & self control not to fail .
Try not to let them get to you as they see the restrictions you are setting yourself for life & the challenges you face they will learn its not the easy & back off. If not its their problem not yours. Good luck

Ha....i wouldnt give a monkeys what anyone said or thought for the simple fact of the positive comments that come a few months down the after wls they far out weigh any negatives.

JED said:
Ha....i wouldnt give a monkeys what anyone said or thought for the simple fact of the positive comments that come a few months down the after wls they far out weigh any negatives.

So very true jed,
Normally I couldn't give a s**t what people think about me or what I do.
But me having surgery I just wanted to keep to myself.

well its obvious they no nothing about wl journey as they would never say its easy way out if you ask me its the hardest thing ever to decide to do let alone the emotions n hard work ahead after the surgery x

I think a lot of this is self justification. I wonder if, deep down, we do feel a little like we're cheating. That we should have been able to do this without the surgery - after all 'normal' people seem to be able to.

I don't think either is the easy way. Dieting is hard and surgery is hard. Both are for life. Both require sacrifices and changes. However, I think when you factor in food addiction, you have to recognise that dieting is no longer a real tool to help you cope. And so its not about easy option or not, its about the one that works.

Stuff em!Stop worrying what others think!
Sammy there is life after surgery hun you will go for meals and make the right choices instead of pigging out you will eat good food that satisfies your hunger in smaller portions!

I agree! However I do think that if something hits hard, we might need to have a think about why. The better we know ourselves, the more likely we are to cope.

Back