• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

silly questions maybe

smilergem

On my wl journey at last
Hi everyone:)
I am sincerely hoping to get funding this year for a bypass, have been turned down twice, but maybe third time lucky lol.
Just a few things have been going over in my mind:

I have gel nail extensions, do these have to be removed before surgery?
Do we have to take off toe nail varnish?
I currently take a lot of tablets, dihydracodeine (8 a day), fluoxetine (2 daily), the mini pill and also I take diclofenac (anti inflammatory), will all these have to be crushed? Also I read that codeine shouldn't be taken, but as I have been taking it for about 15 years, I don't think I can give them up straight away, so would I just be able to take a mild laxative to counteract the constipation from taking the codeine?

Is everyone catheterised during the op?

Sorry, I know these may be silly questions, but as I am really hoping to get the op this year (am 52 now so don't want it to drag on).

I just want to say how much I love this site, I spend hours poring over people's diaries and experiences, so much valuable information. Thanks to everyone who posts, it helps enormously xxxxxxxxx

Last edited:
Welcome to the site!! Hope you manage to get funding this time!! Have they given you a reason for turning you down in the past??

I'm sorry but I can't really answer your questions as I'm still pre-op. The only thing I think you may have to change is your mini-pill as I believe you can't take it post-op, due to problems with absorption. I think they recommend you looking for an alternative type of contraception. I may be wrong though!!!

Good luck!!!

Hi

For me the answer was yes the nails had to come off. They were fibreglass extensions and it was the first time in 13 years I had none on but c'est la vie, they were a priority once I was home to get replaced.

HTH

M

Hi, thanks to the kind ladies that answered, still would like advice about anything else if anyone can help me please, thanks very much xxx

Firstly good luck with your funding and I hope it all goes well for you. Secondly there are no such things as silly questions. All I can advise re your tablets is to have a talk with your GP. The notes I was given pre-op stated no nail varnish, I dont think it said anything about nail extensions. Maybe once you have your funding you will know which hospital you will be in and they can give you more info. Re the catheter, it seems to depend on each surgeon, some do and some dont, so probably something else you will learn about from your hospital/surgeon. Hope this helps a little, and good luck with your wls journey.

Back