• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

going on holiday, ok to fly?

smilergem

On my wl journey at last
Hi everyone ;)
Well my weight is still refusing to move :sigh:
However, I have just been persuaded to make up a foursome girly (we are all over 50, and two are over 60 lol) holiday to Turkey.
We are going on 5 October for two weeks, I am hoping that I am going to be ok to fly, well I shall have to be, as it is all booked now lol :)
Anyway, now comes the problem of what to wear, shall have to see if I can pick up a swimming costume from Ebay, and some summer-ish clothes too.
I don't think I am eating or drinking enough, and that is why my weight has not gone down, and also I am suffering badly with constipation. Am taking movicol and lactulose, but nothing much moving, although as I aren't eating very much either, maybe that doesn't help.
Also, does anyone know whether you have to declare the bypass to the holiday insurance company?
My dad is worried that I may pick up a tummy bug out there, although I shall make sure all I drink is bottled water, and will be careful food wise too. Should I take some anti diarrhoea tablets and some re hydration sachets do you think?
Although I haven't been posting much, as been feeling a bit depressed about my weight loss, I have been following everyone's threads every day, so I am still here, just not feeling up to writing much :(
Thanks all you lovely people, I hope you can help xxxx

I think a holiday sounds a great idea hun and im sure you will have a fantastic time , stick to the bottled water and make the most of being somewhere warm so you can enjoy salads and maybe do a little swimming this will all help to get the weight moving again x i took meds for dicky tummy and never needed them but always best to be on the safe side . Ebay is great for picking up bargains but with you going in october you might be able to pick up some things in the charity shops with people getting rid of there summer stuff x keep your chin up and try uping the calories as you may be in starvation mode which will do you no favors , big hugs hun and look forward to a fab holiday x

I agree. a holiday is a great idea, you will have a ball :D I would deffinately take some tummy meds, rehydrate etc just in case. Im a great one for "just in case" lolwhen I go on hols I take everything :D Not sure about declaring the bypass but I would check, you dont want them using it as a get out clause if you need to claim for anything ;)
Hope your weighloss starts moving again, I know everyone says its ok to stall but I know Id be gutted too lol...I want to loose at least a stone a week :) every week! x

Hi Jan I hope you really enjoy your holiday. It sounds lovely. Avoid ice in drinks as well as sticking to bottled water. I was fine in Turkey last year (pre-op though, but I do often get dodgy tums)
I'm sorry to hear you're feeling low, I hope the holiday does you lots of good. And your weight gets shifting again too!

Dotty, you're hilarious! a stone a week! LOL :D

Hi Jan

A holiday sounds a great idea! I would stick to bottled water and take some meds with you - go easy with any anti-diarrhoea meds, though if you get constipated easily.

You must declare your surgery to the insurance company as anything you don't tell them can have an impact on any claim you make, even if it has nothing to do with the bypass.

Don't panic about not losing weight. I'm sure it will start to drop again soon. I had a bit of a plateau about the same time out from surgery. Try to keep your fluids and proteins up. I started using protein shakes (My Protein True Whey Powder) to increase mine as I still have trouble with meat and was worried about all the fat in my high dairy diet.

Enjoy!
:)

I think a holiday will do you good Jan - and with a bunch of girly friends too, great ! I agree with what the others have said about meds. You might think about ordering a special meal for the plane, or at least contacting the airline to see if they offer a healthy choice ?

Thanks everyone for the good advice.
Rose, I shan't be eating on the plane, as it costs extra lol.
The only thing spoiling everything at the moment is that OH does not want me to go, and is trying to make me feel guilty, as we can't afford for both of us to go (I am selling some of my jewellery to be able to go).
Am trying to keep my spirits up though and not let him get to me :sigh:
Right, shall have to start listing stuff today on Ebay lol ;)

With the insurance, you'll have to check the list of questions they standardly ask you. It is highly likely that you will have to declare it, as one of them is usually have you had inpatient treatment/surgery in the last 6/12 months.

Have you tried tracking your intake online on one of the sites like foodfocus to see how much you are eating in case it is too little? Aim for 6 small meals a day if you are struggling, and try to increase your fluids as well. Not easy I know but it does make a huge difference. A stall at your stage is most likely to be starvation mode.

Also with the constipation, start taking benefibre as well. If you feel impacted you can use glycerol suppositories or get something stronger for that end prescribed ;)

Gill is right, you MUST tell your insurance company else it could invalidate any claims. The worst case scenario is that they won't cover any claim relating to the bypass and/or may ask for a letter confirming you're fit to travel.
That said Turkey is lovely and the weather will be great. Food is good lots of fresh produce and plenty of choices. Have a great time.

Back