• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Questions related to Brno

Stuebydoo

Hi everyone,

I've been spending the last few days searching the internet for various clinics in the uk and outside, and generally building knowledge about the various procedures available.

I am now leaning towards a gastric sleeve, and have seen on this board several members have had their surgery in Brno with Surga Clinic.

So relating to that, I have some questions for anyone who has been there, or is going there, or knows the answers:

1) Do you need to go there for a consultation before the operation (as in a trip to EU days/weeks/months before the operation date)?

2) What airports fly to the closest airport in Brno? (I live in Kent, so ideally Gatwick, but anywhere is do-able)

3) This kind of surgery requires regular check ups post op, can these be done in the UK, or do you need to fly out to Brno each time?

4) How long do you have to wait between initial contact and having the operation?

I've filled in their questionnaire on the surgaclinic.cz website, but any additional information would be greatly appreciated. I've found it difficult to find content that is recent on these types of procedures until I came across this board.

In terms of BMI, I sit in the obese range. My thoughts for going down this road are that my weight has been increasing, and I am now worrying about heart attacks as these seem to run in my family, and feel like I need to take a drastic solution before it is too late. I won't go into any more detail as I'm sure everyone on here has their own reasons for being here.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Many thanks,

Stuart.

Last edited:
Hi Stu,

I'll try and answer some of your questions as best I can. Bear in mind my mum had had a sleeve done in the uk about 8 months before me (I am only 7 weeks out) so I had quite a lot of prior knowledge and knew full well what I was getting myself into.

I had my surgery at the Surgal clinic, I booked through a company called Beautiful Beings and from initially contacting them to surgery date was only about 6 weeks. I had to have a consultation with them over the phone and fill out email medical information beforehand so no consultation in Brno apart from on the day of surgery.

I think the only airport that you can fly direct to Brno is Stansted, and the airline was Ryanair.

Since being home I haven't been to my doctor once, I went to the nurse to have my stitches removed and that was fine. I haven't had any post op checks so can't comment on that one.

I hope that somewhat helps, hopefully someone else will be along to fill in the gaps!

Hi,

That all sounds good to me, thank you. I've been doing some more research and saw that ryanair fly direct from stansted. I can get there from gatwick, but have to fly to Manchester, or Germany first, which seems a little excessive.

How soon were you back to your daily life after the op?

I've been in contact with Surgal Clinic directly, and have had my details passed onto the surgeon, so now waiting on their opinion on my eligibility. They said they have opening in October and November, so that's good.

Interesting about the stitches having to be removed. I was expecting them to use the ones that break down naturally, but that's no problem. When I had my appendix out, I accidentally pulled a suture out haha.

What sort of medication are you given when you leave the clinic? Again, after my appendectomy, I was on antibiotics to keep infection away, is this the same case?

Also how was flying after having the operation? And comfort in general, the appendectomy made it difficult for me to lay flat, or sit fully upright, but it slightly lower down, but I thought I would ask someone in the know like yourself.

Hi,

That all sounds good to me, thank you. I've been doing some more research and saw that ryanair fly direct from stansted. I can get there from gatwick, but have to fly to Manchester, or Germany first, which seems a little excessive.

How soon were you back to your daily life after the op?

I've been in contact with Surgal Clinic directly, and have had my details passed onto the surgeon, so now waiting on their opinion on my eligibility. They said they have opening in October and November, so that's good.

Interesting about the stitches having to be removed. I was expecting them to use the ones that break down naturally, but that's no problem. When I had my appendix out, I accidentally pulled a suture out haha.

What sort of medication are you given when you leave the clinic? Again, after my appendectomy, I was on antibiotics to keep infection away, is this the same case?

Also how was flying after having the operation? And comfort in general, the appendectomy made it difficult for me to lay flat, or sit fully upright, but it slightly lower down, but I thought I would ask someone in the know like yourself.

Hi stuart
I had a sleeve at SurGal clinic 2 weeks ago. I flew to Prague from Manchester then surgal clinic arranged transport to collect us from Prague. It was about 2 hours drive and cost roughly 70 pound. They were really efficient and organised. We stayed in a hotel booked through surgal for 2 nights then we was picked up and took to the clinic about 5 minutes away. All pre op tests were done on the morning of surgery. After surgery I was quite sick for first 48 hours but this soon passed. I was discharged with antibiotics, omeprazole pain killers and blood thinning injections. The flight home was fine the pain is minimal it's more just tender and you feel tired. Hope this helps. I would definitely recommend them the clinic is very clean and professional on par with the nhs and private sector here just lots cheaper!!

Just to second what jandcoke said, I had the same medications to come home with. I don't know why the stitches weren't disolveable, when my mum had her op hers were.

I had my op on the Tuesday and flew back on the Friday with no problems, to be honest I felt ready to go home on the Thursday! I had no real pain afterwards and didn't feel the need to request any painkillers although the nurses were always on hand with some if need be. I didn't have any sickness at all afterwards and still 7 weeks on have not had one incident of being sick. I was back to work less than a week after my op, taking it fairly easy of course. I couldn't stay at home otherwise I would have been bored out of my mind!

Thank you everyone for the info. I was a little concerned with how long I might need off of work, and planned it around a maximum of two weeks off due to peak periods coming up at work, I would ideally like to go back sooner, so that sounds good.

I'm waiting on an email from surgal whether I am eligible, hopefully yes, then I can arrange everything and hopefully get it done quickly.

:)

Congratulations! I bet the next few weeks will fly by :)

Safe travels x

Back