• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Sleep Apnea - a help or hindrance in getting surgery?

Hi All

I am currently watching Shaw Somers on Fat Doctor, Home and Health Channel.

The patient currently showing has had to undergo a test for sleep apnea (as most people in here have done i think?)

Anyway....they have just said on the show that if he does have sleep apnea his surgery will have to be delayed.

I was under the impression that sleep apnea would help you get your surgery as it is a co-morbidity and would be greatly helped with weight loss.

Anyone have any ideas on this?

Thanks
Lauren

It sometimes has to be delayed to get it under control, so while the patient gets a c-pap machine and often while the c-pap is used for a period of time. It's just about making the patient as fit as possible for surgery.

Hi lauren

My understanding is that sleep apnea is one of the top co-morbidities to help you secure funding yoru WLS. However if you have a severe form of the condition it can actually make surgery quite dangerous and so it is prudent to try and get it under control before surgery where this is possible.

I may be completely wrong though lol so am prepared to be corrected if necessary x

Oh OK

Thanks for clarification.

I'm gonna ask my gp to test me for it as i think i have it but got worries that it may affect my chances of surgery when i eventually ask for it.

Cheers

please dont worry Lauren - if you do have it, its very important that your surgical team are aware of it, and as I said, it will strengthen your case for surgery.

hi lauren
i have sleep apnea and have a cpap machine i only found out about it when having all the tests done for my wls i have been on my machine since about july i love it it did not go against me at all there can be a waiting list for cpap machines if you need it i had my surgery in jan 09 so you will have to be on the machine before surgery and you normally go to hdu after just precaution but it never stoped my surgery at all it helps more in fact so it should not cause any problem at all good luck with it all alison xx

Hi lauren

My understanding is that sleep apnea is one of the top co-morbidities to help you secure funding yoru WLS. However if you have a severe form of the condition it can actually make surgery quite dangerous and so it is prudent to try and get it under control before surgery where this is possible.

I may be completely wrong though lol so am prepared to be corrected if necessary x

I believe this to be true also. It was what i was told by the team. Altho i dont have it. take care x

the main problem is you need to get an appiontment at the sleep clinic which as with all nhs lists can be easier said than done. so my advice to all apllying for funding or for a referal is to ask to be tested to get he ball rolling.
dave
ps if you have seriuos sleep apnea then the is a more serious risk that you will die in your sleep at night. wieght is a factor in sleep apnea .

Last edited:
Back