• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Is this a stupid idea?

OK so...I am currently in the process of doing a huge amount of research on WLS before i actually approach my GP about it. I am going to get a blood test done to test for anemia, diabetes, thyroid problems and colestoral. I also want to be tested for sleep apnea as i think there is a very high chance that i have it.

In the meantime my PCT follow NICE Guidlines which inlcude the following:

Bariatric surgery is also recommended as a first-line option (instead of lifestyle interventions or drug treatment) for adults with a BMI of more than 50 kg/m2 in whom surgical intervention is considered appropriate.

I am currently 1 stone away from BMI over 50. While in the process of my information gathering and getting tested for various co-morbidities should i try and gain a stone so i am over BMI 50 in order to help my cause when i speak to me GP?

Is this a stupid idea???

I would say that to deliberately gain weight would be a bad idea, especially as your PCT follow NICE guidelines which also state a BMI of 40+ which you have, so you may get funding first time round without too many problems. Gaining weight would make you more unhealthy before the op, which can't be a good thing.

I understand were you're coming from, but for me, I would rather not make it any harder than it already is by pushing my BMi higher.

You must make this choice on your own but I am with the 'safety first' gang and every step up the BMI ladder makes you higher risk for complications and even death. I really would be cautious because with a high BMI you are taking risks with your life. Just my point of view.

Best of luck & hope you are successful getting the surgery you want.

I think these guys have got a point. You dont want to risk your life for a stone gained. Im sure you wont have too much trouble getting funding. Your choice at the end of the day just make sure you take care of yourself. R x

I'm with the gang on this one too. I was in a similar situation until my brain kicked into gear (which it doesn't too often ;-)) I had all my bloods done and in my mind all I kept thinking was what the Endocrinologist had said, if any come back raised it will make funding easier. So here was I wishing that my liver was rubbish, my cholestrol was sky high ... just generally in bad shape ...... how wrong could I have been, everything was normal except for a slight raise in cholestrol. So I then went on a mindgame of thinking right I need to gain more (even tho Im nearly 20), and just generally rubbish my body so all bloods are raised. Im glad I started thinking rationally again because I'm more likely to have a good recovery with the results I had, which will hopefully tick a PCT box (finger x'd)! Good luck with GP and PCT x

progress.gif
Posting Quick Reply - Please Wait

Hi, I agree with the guys as well, however can totally understand what you are thinking. I am at BMI42 at the moment and am actively trying to maintain my weight (rather than lose) as if I drop below BMI40 I will not qualify for surgery. I know that surgery is the only way I can lose all of my weight and keep it off so to lose a stone or so the "normal" way will prevent me from having the surgery I so desperately need.

So in your shoes, I wouldnt actively try to gain weight as you already comfortably meet the nice criteria for surgery. As the others have said, you have to put your health first.

hope that helps x

you dont have to have a bmi of 50+ i have a bmi of 47 and i got funding from my pct ... dont put on anything from the sounds of it you are at a size that they would help you anyway ..

plus they do sleep tests on you once you go to see bariatric surgons..

good luck xx

I know exactly where you are coming from though. I am in salford PCT band even though I live in Manchester.
I am on a 6 month weight management course before i can be sent for wls even though I have been on weight loss prescribed drugs for over 3 years.
I am goign to the gym etc... lost 5 lb last month and the dietician wants me to do teh same every month which I know i can do but it is not the losing it , it is the keeping it off. But if I lose 5 lb every mont for 6 months even though I wont be thin my bmi will be alot lower than the 45 it is at now.
I just dont get it all to be honest.
It is so unfair It would not matter if I smoked 1 or 60 cigs a day I owud still be given help to be healthy. This is the same in my opinion.
xxx
good luck with your weight loss decisions x

I was turned down for a gastric band referral despite having a BMI of 59. There are no guarantees with the NHS, sadly.

Back