• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

sleep apnea & gastric banding

tracie_40

:)hi everybody,
just registered today took me weeks trawling web to find a decent forum.hooray.
i was hoping that someone can help with my nerves,and any info and tips,i have sleep apnea a bmi of 45 and my consultant is puting me forward for gastric banding at dewsbury,
as anyone had surgury at dewsbury?
do you too have sleep apnea and had the surgury?
is there a long wait from seeing the actual gastric surgeaon to having op.
kindest regards tracie
ps.this is my first time on any forum got my sis to show me basics so bear with me,cheers:)

i had surgery last year and had sleep apnea ... they used a drug (mind has gone blank ... what's the word I want?) that was less likely to affect breathing. I lived to tell the tale. The anaethetist (anaesthetic - that is the word) will know what he/she is doing and if they have a concern they will not do the surgery. Sounds like you don't need to worry though.

i had surgery last year and had sleep apnea ... they used a drug (mind has gone blank ... what's the word I want?) that was less likely to affect breathing. I lived to tell the tale. The anaethetist (anaesthetic - that is the word) will know what he/she is doing and if they have a concern they will not do the surgery. Sounds like you don't need to worry though.

Hi there

Ive not been to the hospital where you are going , but im sure it will be tip top and all the staff will be helpful with any question you want the answer to, Just make sure you ask them to help ease your worries.
But first off sleep apnea dont worry as long as they all know you have it , they can control the problem. If there was any risk they would not do the operation. They are in to life saving and they would never put someone at risk.
What they will do is give you a electric bed and make you lay down more elevated so you breath better and you will have all the care you need.
So dont worry your be in good hands and after its done , your be ready to start your new life. ;)

hi,dancing thankyou for your reply and support,
taken on board advice,i've bought a lttle book to keep a tally of all advice.
i noticed you said " had sleep apnea" does this mean it as gone totally ?
by the way congrats on the weight loss ,over 6 stone,you look fab and in a faboulous red blouse .
can not wait to buy colorfull clothes.
how long did you have to wait for banding once consultant said ok?
speak soon,
kindest regards tracie

hi mark ,
thanks for reply and advice much appritiated.
keeping a little booklet of all advice ready for meeting consultant etc.
did you have banding?
how long did you wait to see consultant,and then how long after seeing him did you get your op ?
at mo can not wait to have it done,but i know if i get accepted fingers crossed ,nearer to time i will be a wreck ,born worrier and always think worst .
does not help as only ever had one op and that was an emergency c section as my daughter decided she did not want to come out.
anyway i'm babbleing,i'm new to forums how do i find yours or dancings threads so i can look at your journey and how your doing .nosy etc.
speak soon
kind regards
tracie
ps also how do you place a pick near your name

Hi again

Well i didnt have a band , I had a bypass but the things you do before hand are much the same i guess , as in appointments etc.

As for how long it took well i had a bit of a mix up and some lost paper work, But from the tim ei saw the surgeon to the tim ei had the operation was about 10 months. but my hospital was very busy as its a research center aswell.
But it all went very fast and smooth. so im sure you will be fine.

One good thing about the band is its easy removed if you dont like it or you lose the wieght and you want to go back to normal. Plus its a simple operation so no problems.

Keep us informed we are all ears here :D

i noticed you said " had sleep apnea" does this mean it as gone totally ?
by the way congrats on the weight loss ,over 6 stone,you look fab and in a faboulous red blouse .
can not wait to buy colorfull clothes.
how long did you have to wait for banding once consultant said ok?

Yep, sleep apnea is gone .... along with the fat :D.

Thanks for comment on my weight loss. It is good to be reminded i've achieved (I focus on how much I still have to go :))

Oh, sorry I didn't have the band ... I had knee surgery weighing over 20 stone.

hi.
dancing & frosty,
thanks for info .help and support.
will defo keep you updated.
sorry not replied sooner no internet for 3 days,laptop did not want to play had to get the old pc reset up ahhhhhhhhh.
keep up your good work .
kindest regards
tracie

Back