• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

I've been excepted for gastric banding..........or have I?

katdec21

Hi all,

I need your advice as i am feeling abit paranoid.............3-4 weeks ago i had a meeting with a surgeon who was very nice and positive about me having a gastric band fitted, he has also wrote to my GP saying that i would be the "perfect candidate" for the opperation, the day after that meeting i had one with a dr in endocrinology, I left the office in tears as i thought at any moment he is going to tell me NO!, what he did say to me was: Do some research (like i haven't been doing for about a year now anyway!) about the banding and also go to a group to see what it's like to actually live with a band. O.K fair enough, so i have been waiting almost a month for him to send me details about a group as he said he would, so i had waited long enough and i found a group that i will be attending on sunday. Anyway, i called his secritary today and was told "yes a letter has been sent to you today!" "also it includes a "sleep apnea questionaire" she also told me that if i do all of the above then i will be called in for a "formal meeting" to SEE if it's a POSIBILITY to have the band fitted. So i said, that the surgeon said, that i was a good canditate, why have i got to jump though these hoops now, and bless her being loyal to her boss she said "He is the one that looks after you before and after the op and will be the one who does your fills he has to be sure you are perpared for whats going to happen, the surgeon just does the opperation!. Which i completley understand, but i feel in complete limbo.

So my questions are:

1. Am i being paranoid
2. Has anyone else had to go though boot camp to be excepted

You can either post a reply or send a SAE.

thankyou

Last edited:
Hiya

You will find quite a few people have had to jump through hoops to get their surgery approved.

I wouldn't say you are being paranoid but was he asking you to just investigate the band or was he asking you investigate all options i.e. the bypass as well etc? Why do you think the band is best for you? He may just be testing to see what you understand about all the procedures available??

Just a thought hun, have you seen your GP about it?

Hiya

You will find quite a few people have had to jump through hoops to get their surgery approved.

I wouldn't say you are being paranoid but was he asking you to just investigate the band or was he asking you investigate all options i.e. the bypass as well etc? Why do you think the band is best for you? He may just be testing to see what you understand about all the procedures available??

Just a thought hun, have you seen your GP about it?

I'm not sure what he is asking me to research i assumed it was the band, i think the band would be better for me because once i am slimmer i want to start a family and as the band is adjustable to allow more nuterents for the baby though pregnancy, i feel for myself the bypass is a last result, i just felt that the dr i saw first was "yah, we can do that, no problem" then the other was like "you must do this, then that and then we will SEE if it's a POSSIBLITY". i was dishearted and very upset, and i just needed to know that it's not just me going though this "good doc, bad doc" thing!!

Thanks for your reply though. x

Hi Hun

you still can have a family after you have had the bypass they just recommend you wait 18 months after so that the baby will get all the nutrients.

Don't give up just keep going and keep fighting xx

I found something on the web somewhere today when I was reading up about bypass that said your fertility increases afterwards (prob cos u have lost loads of weight lol) but that there are lots of people who have gone on to have successful pregnancies after both banding and bypass - does that help??

Yeah I'm sure plenty of people successfully have a family after bypass. And I'm also sure that the Godparents would babysit while you go shopping for your new wardrobe!
Well as long as the godparents also pay for the clothes whilst babysitting, yeah sure!!

Thanks guys for your opinions, i will have to think about this one as i personally think the banding would be better for me as it is less intrusive, i haven't really thought about the bypass. When i saw the dr he did say banding was best because of my age (28)

Well as long as the godparents also pay for the clothes whilst babysitting, yeah sure!!
Er... Yeah I guess that would make sense!

The band would be best for you cus, as you say, it's less intrusive and the recovery time would be quicker. You will want to get back on your feet as soon as possible.

Er... Yeah I guess that would make sense!

The band would be best for you cus, as you say, it's less intrusive and the recovery time would be quicker. You will want to get back on your feet as soon as possible.

Yes it would make sense!!

Also yeah i would want to be back on my feet again, i don't get sick pay from my job so i would have to get back to it as soon as possible

Just to say, I had to jump through hoops for over 18 months to get the surgery, it depends on your PCT etc.

Back