• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

postcode reason for non surgury ,help?

tracie_40

hi everyone,
can some one explain this pct funding .
i have sleep apnea and morbidly obese ,underactive thyroid and arthritis.
my sleep apnea clinic is in west yorkshire they put me forward for gastric banding to the hospital at dewsbury,was told no as i live in south yorkshire.
been to doctor he said i was probably told no because of money who's going to pay the hospital at dewsbury to do my surgury?
he then showed me form to put me forward for surgury ,fobbed me off about is yearly budget,and i walked out with reductil and a weekly check up for high blood pressure for the next 4 weeks .
and to go back in 2 weeks time to be placed on a higher strength of reductil if my blood pressure is ok.
i'm so confused ,all my consultants agree a should have surgury .what do i do??????????
can anyone explain things and tell me what thay think i should do or where to go???
kindest regards tracie
please excuse spelling.

Hi Tracie, what PCT do you come under for where you live, i.e I live in preston and come under central lancashire PCT. Also what is your BMI? There is a BOSPA list that lists all the PCT's and the criteria they want you to meet before you can apply for funding. I.e mine is BMI of 35 or over with co morbidities sleep apnea high bp etc. If you meet the criteria for your area you can be referred for funding regardless of the budget. If your particular PCT has no money in this years budget you will be told to apply again in April when the new budgets are issued. Dont give up hope. Send the info I have requested and we can have a look and take it from there. It is a hard struggle to get funding they told me no first time around and I gathered more info for them and they finally said yes last week. All is not lost....xx

BOSPA - The British Obesity Surgery Patient Association

Barnsley BMI over 50 or between 45-50 with severe comorbidities.

Sleep apnoea should class as a severe co-morbidity, so if your BMI is over 45 you should qualify. if you aren't sure what your BMI is, you can work it out at Body Mass Index (BMI) Calculator - NHS Direct

All that said though, you might qualify but the PCT may have spent all of its money for this financial year, which would mean waiting till April. It's hard to know what your GP meant, but if you find out if you meet the criteria first, then you can go back to him armed with all the info :D

By the way lol, welcome to mini's :D

hi,
oh thanks for your help charlie girl and shelbell.
my bmi is 45.5.
my original weight when i start my sleep apnea therapy was 20 stones 7 lbs in febuary since then i have dropped to 19 stones 6 lbs .my bmi is 45.5 using the calculater shelbell linked me to.

as shelbell states barnsley criteria 45/50 with comorbidities so i qualify.
so do i just go back to doctors with this info or can i apply to pct or get one of the other consultants to put me forward again?
please excuse spelling mistakes
thankyou for taking time to help
kindest regards tracie

Dont worry about your spelling we all make mistakes. I think you need to clarify why your GP would not refer you its not very clear in your post. It may mean you need to speak to another GP at the surgery. The funding does not come out of his budget so he has nothing to lose and in fact if you are able to deal with some of your comorbidities you could be saving his surgery money on prescribitions etc as its surgery can reduce high blood pressure etc.....stay strong...xx

Yup, I'd print off the BOSPA page and go back to your GP (or a different GP in the practice if thats possible) and show that you meet the criteria and ask them to apply for funding for you. If they say no, ask them to clarify for you precisely why they are refusing to do this.

HTH,

Shel

Hi do you live in Barnsley or Dewsbury? Im in Barnsley and its quite difficult to get the bypass performed over here ( I ended up going private) But they its the people that push the most that get the better results! I missed out as I did not have co-morbid diseases!

Last edited:
hi,thanks for your help,i'm going to go back to doctors and see how it goes,and ask other consultants too,glad i posted now feel much better with a bit of understanding of the matter.
i'm in barnsley caroline .
how much is it privately done,if you don't mind me asking and where did you go,
kindest regards tracie

Hiya tracey, which part of the "tarn" are you from?? Im a cudeth lass :D
I went to Thornbury hospital, they do it privately and also nhs patients sent from Barnsley, it cost me £10,500 with the weight loss surgery group and they have been fantastic.

hi caroline,
i live on doncaster road,nr kendray/stairfoot.
lot of money private then,and aftercare.
its annoying as like you ,you've paid your national insurance when working and you,ve had to pay for it ,and it looks like im going to have go beg and plead and probably not get it.
had to stop working due to other illness
quick moan there.
never mind at the moment been on reductil for 2 days and have been doing low fat diet since 29th august ,got weighed this morning and now 18st 13 lbs ,from 20 st 7 lbs,so happy at that .
bet you feel fantastic with all your weight loss ,you look it from your pic.
jammy cow lol.
how old are you ,you only look young from pic.
did you have bypass or banding.
speak son ,
kindest regards tracie

hi caroline,
i live on doncaster road,nr kendray/stairfoot.
lot of money private then,and aftercare.
its annoying as like you ,you've paid your national insurance when working and you,ve had to pay for it ,and it looks like im going to have go beg and plead and probably not get it.
had to stop working due to other illness
quick moan there.
never mind at the moment been on reductil for 2 days and have been doing low fat diet since 29th august ,got weighed this morning and now 18st 13 lbs ,from 20 st 7 lbs,so happy at that .
bet you feel fantastic with all your weight loss ,you look it from your pic.
jammy cow lol.
how old are you ,you only look young from pic.
did you have bypass or banding.
speak son ,
kindest regards tracie

Brilliant that you have lost all that timber on the tablets, they never did a thing for me!!
Had the bypass done and yeah cost me a bomb but it was best money ever spent! Have talked to a couple of lasses that I know that have had the bypass in Barnsley on NHS and they all had to complete a course of tablets before doctors were willing to send them to a surgeon and some of them also had to do a weight loss course at hospital, so there is hope for you yet!
Only 33 so not that young but not over the hill just yet lol. If you want to meet up any time to ask me about bypass give me a shout and I can tell you all the details, even if you need someone to moan at about the tablets :D There is another lady on here called Di from Barnsley that had gastric ballon fitted, we and a couple of others are going to try and sort out a meet for people in our area.

hi caroline ,thanks for reply , nice to have some one to rant at or a quick moan,chat.
i may not have explained correctly on last message lost the weight before i went on tablets,starting tablets at 18st,13lbs,was 20 st 7 lbs so feeling positive at mo as i think for me doing really well.
reductil did not help you then ,how long were you on them?
well you don't look 33 from pic ,or i need to use your camera lol.
not brill with pc so how do i put a pic on .
and those ticker things?
kindest regards
tracie

hi caroline ,thanks for reply , nice to have some one to rant at or a quick moan,chat.
i may not have explained correctly on last message lost the weight before i went on tablets,starting tablets at 18st,13lbs,was 20 st 7 lbs so feeling positive at mo as i think for me doing really well.
reductil did not help you then ,how long were you on them?
well you don't look 33 from pic ,or i need to use your camera lol.
not brill with pc so how do i put a pic on .
and those ticker things?
kindest regards
tracie

Hiya tracie, thanks for the compliments will have to get you drunk one night lol!
was on the tablets for a few months a couple of years ago but as I had ibs they made me feel yuk!
You have done great to loose the weight with no other help, you might be one of the lucky ones to loose the weight with diet and tablets, I have all things crossed for you. If you fancy a chat some time my email is [email protected] you can get me on there and we can sort something out.
As for the ticker thing, theres is a sticky somewhere about that tells you how to get a ticker thing up on your page, I think you will find it under tutorials on top of this screen, but Im sure someone with more of the grey matter will kindly post you a link lol, as for the photo you have to click on user cp and change your pic on there.

Back